Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Absolutely dreadful that plans like this have to be made.

The bill for the security measures should be sent to Pavee Point.

They can set up a crowd funding exercise in the minority community to share the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Well, looks like they're gearing up for festivities in Rathkeale...

Armed Gardai and a HSE triage clinic.
    Is this a culture worthy of anything but elimination?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/garda-to-deploy-armed-officers-hse-reveal-triage-clinic-to-be-part-of-rathkeale-festive-preparations-884448.html

And yet travellers contribute nothing to the tax pot that pays for these gardai and health workers:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mikhail gorbachev2

Great idea. :pac: RTE is sitting on plenty of land -- let them use some of it to accommodate their favorite ethnic minority group.

this is actually a good idea,
    set up gofundme
    buy that site beside pat the plank
    build haunting site
    get rival traveller families to move in there,
    profit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be fair I don't think pat was stupid enough to claim he would have no issue with living next door to travellers.

It would be an excellent idea though for someone who owns land near tubs or the 5 traveller loving presidential hopefuls to submit a planning application for something like 12 parking bays, toilet facilities and a concrete slab for waste material storage then put the word out locally that a long term deal has been done with the local authority to rent the facility.
    Sit back and laugh as the community mobilise to keep it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

givyjoe wrote: »
    What's with the bizarre re-occurence of posters popping in to say the thread is done, should be closed etc.

All the "poor travellers" arguments have been deconstructed and shown to be invalid, now the play book dictates that the discussion be closed down completely, until the next traveller related thread appears and we do it all again.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Well, looks like they're gearing up for festivities in Rathkeale...

Armed Gardai and a HSE triage clinic.
    Is this a culture worthy of anything but elimination?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/garda-to-deploy-armed-officers-hse-reveal-triage-clinic-to-be-part-of-rathkeale-festive-preparations-884448.html

All their missing is calling in the Army incl a few tanks. This is absolutely shocking to read and blows away the theory about a few bad apples giving the 'community' a bad name

I suppose last year people probably wouldn’t have taken much notice but now Rathkeale has been identified as the town that gave the most votes to Casey. There is no longer any confusion now about extraordinary security in this area at Christmas time, it’s saturated with travellers which means them riding roughshod over local settled people who live in Rathkeale full time, they put up with hell every Christmas and no one cares, certainly not Tubridy drinking in Monkstown and stuffing his face with Turkey in the RTE subsidised canteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

The irony about certain posters complaining about being stereotyped is hilarious. I come in here every evening for the laugh.

BBFAN wrote: »
    The irony about certain posters complaining about being stereotyped is hilarious. I come in here every evening for the laugh.

i would have no problem with a haunting site beside my house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Well you'd be haunted alright with either:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

The Travellers would have no problem with haunting you with their cultural activities.

Anti-social cultural activities are their stock in trade.

Your welcome to them Comrade.:)

The Travellers would have no problem with haunting you with their cultural activities.

Anti-social cultural activities are their stock in trade.

Your welcome to them Comrade.:)

i aint afraid of no ghosts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Rte primetime often do shows live from a location. Like this year they did one in Tipperary about march for tipp. Other times they've done shows about storms and well basically things of public interest to highlight something.
    Why don't they do a show live from Rathkeale talking to locals let's say during the second week of December?

Why don't they do that. It obviously would be a pertinent show to do.

Rte primetime often do shows live from a location. Like this year they did one in Tipperary about march for tipp. Other times they've done shows about storms and well basically things of public interest to highlight something.
    Why don't they do a show live from Rathkeale talking to locals let's say during the second week of December?

lol if ryan tubridy met a t in real life he'd **** his nappy

Another day, another sewer dweller emerges with facile dribble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

i aint afraid of no ghosts

They are not Ghosts.

They are a real presance here.

They look for every single angle to mooch off the hard working people of this country.

Not alone that, they agressively rob people blind in their own homes.

If they all suddenly got vaporised in some sort of 'tragic event', not a single soul in this country would miss them & their 'glorious traditions'.:rolleyes:

In fact, the whole country would cheer their demise.

Another day, another sewer dweller emerges with facile dribble.

all criticism is self criticism, bertie

all criticism is self criticism, bertie

Whatever you say doc, your charade isn't going over.

Whatever you say doc, your charade isn't going over.

Рыбак рыбака видит издалека

• Advertisement

Рыбак рыбака видит издалека

And your wings won't be long clipped.

Your wings won't be long clipped.
    смеющийся громкий брат, я использую другие мои аккаунты, чтобы сообщить свой собственный аккаунт долгое время россия :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Fann Linn wrote: »
    To quote the great Leonard Cohen:

....'take the only tree that's left, and stuff it up the hole in your culture..'
    "I've seen the future, brother, it is murder."

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

tretorn wrote: »
    The Gardai plan for Rathkeale is the first official response to the huge vote Casey got.

Just noting (because it is important to do it) another action attributed to Casey that had been happening already.

You really need to be careful about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

jay0109 wrote: »
    All their missing is calling in the Army incl a few tanks. This is absolutely shocking to read and blows away the theory about a few bad apples giving the 'community' a bad name

Send in the CAB backed up by the ERU if needs be.

Anything that can't be proven to have been earned by lawful means, seize it and straight to the auction house!

That should wipe the sneer off their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To be honest, I think this thread has now been overcooked and it's time to say it's done. The vast majority of posts are just responses to one or two posters anyway.

I've felt in recent years that there has been a growing unrepresented cohort of voters ripe for the taking. When you look at marriage equality some 40% voted against, 33% against repeal and then 23% for Casey. While the turnouts obviously vary, I would bet there is a good chance that many of those Casey voters voted No in the two referendums. When these voters look to political parties, there is no mainstream home for them.

An interesting study would be how many Casey voters we're both historically FF and no to repeal.

I said earlier that I expect FF to be the most nimble of the parties and will try policies that address the Casey remarks in a way that is right wing. Martin will have to be dumped for this change in direction. If they don't, then their clothes will most definitely be stolen by independents with no qualms about speaking their mind.

The next general election will be fun, all thanks to Casey.

It's all tied with the social unacceptability of right wing opinion IMO. In America, people always (rightly) complain that the Overton Window is so far to the right that conservatives get away with calling themselves "centrist" and anyone who even suggests talking about an expansion of social programs, or a roll-back of the mass surveillance and unchecked law enforcement power of the Bush era, is attacked as a communist sympathiser or similar. I'd argue that the same thing is happening here but in reverse - there's no socially acceptable way of saying "I'm a conservative" anymore without mainstream society - newspaper columns, politicians, talking heads etc - translating that as "I'm an asshole" and using it as a stick to hit people with.

I'm hugely liberal and I despise social conservatism perhaps more than anything else in life, alongside enthusiasm for enforced conformity, but this is supposed to be a democracy FFS. Nobody should feel hounded, harassed or shamed into keeping their political opinions inside their heads and not speaking their mind. People shouldn't fear losing friends, family etc for holding certain political views. People shouldn't fear losing jobs or damaging their employment prospects because they're open about their political beliefs on social media and those beliefs are currently not accepted by the mainstream of society.

An ex-girlfriend and now close friend of mine is one of the most ardent supporters of the pro-life movement, and one of those most ardent retain campaigner this year, that I've ever met. And she's an incredible human being in so many ways, and has immensely personal reasons for opposing abortion.

Her political beliefs, just like any of our political beliefs, are absolutely fair game to be challenged. But she shouldn't be being shunned by friends and family, and being harassed in the street if she goes out wearing clothes which show slogans related to her beliefs, just because she believes in something and feels strongly enough about it to speak out in public. If people wearing "Repeal" jumpers were treated the way I've seen her treated by some random people out and about, there'd be scandalous articles in all of the papers asking what kind of horrendous society we were living in, but vocally right wing people are fair game for all sorts of vitriol and personal abuse.

When Trump got elected and when Brexit passed, many people suggested that the reason the polls missed these trends was because people were too ashamed or afraid of being personally bashed to actually admit to pollsters how they really felt or intended to vote. But I'd go a step further and say that many undecided people, and even many people opposed to these movements, voted with them purely out of disgust towards those who are trying to turn politics into a game of "these ideas are acceptable, these ones give us license to make your life an absolute misery until you change your mind". I know I would never have given Casey my #2 if it hadn't been for the machinations of the entire political establishment, from the media to Varadkar himself, rising up and trying to blockade him for his comments - and worse, trying to deprive the public of the opportunity to have their say on those comments by prematurely hounding him out of the election altogether.

I've been saying this since 2014 and I'll continue saying it - the left needs to understand that this vitriolic sh!t is going to cost us elections if they don't learn to respect civility in politics. And of course the genuine assholes aren't going to practise or respect civility - that's literally why they're assholes to begin with. Emulating or mirroring their behaviour for whatever moronic reason the left has started doing this, just leads everyone to say "you're assholes, just like those assholes. Like hell I'm going to vote for you guys, just feck off and leave me alone, dammit".

Just noting (because it is important to do it) another action attributed to Casey that had been happening already.

You really need to be careful about this.

I don’t think it’s being attributed to Casey, rather it’s being pointed out that he was right in what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don’t think it’s being attributed to Casey, rather it’s being pointed out that he was right in what he said.

It very much was another attempt to attribute actions that had happened before to Casey's influence.
    tretorn wrote:
    The Gardai plan for Rathkeale is the first official response to the huge vote Casey got.
    That is the second time at least that blunder has been made on the thread.

It's important that it is called out.
    Because if you believe Casey said what he did to incite hate (and I do) then it is critical that attempts to show that that incitment has achieved anything are challenged.
    It and the other example also gives the lie to the claims that nothing was being done or that this community were untouchable. because of SEMS.

Do you think RTE would leave their safe security protected haven in Donnybrook to see what Rathkeale is like. The town is under constant cctv surveillance for the christmas period and the cctv tapes are transmitted live to the Gardai twenty four hours a day. If this doesnt convince people of what life is like in Rathkeale nothing will.
    No RTE reporter or radio presenter is going to endsnger their lives going there, they would rather prance around the RTE studio in christmas jumpers on a Toy show or ekse present a show outside Brown Thomas on Grafton Street.

The politicans including Leo who bossed us about ordering us how to vote wont go to Rathkeale at Christmas time either, they will be drinking in Buswells across the road from the Dail, Rathkeale, wheres that!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It very much was another attempt to attribute actions that had happened before to Casey's influence.

That is the second time at least that blunder has been made on the thread.

It's important that it is called out.
    Because if you believe Casey said what he did to incite hate (and I do) then it is critical that attempts to show that that incitment has achieved anything are challenged.
    It and the other example also gives the lie to the claims that nothing was being done or that this community were untouchable. because of SEMS.

So you think that the huge spending on making sure travellers don't spend the Christmas period engaging in violent disorder, dangerous driving and countless other anti social activities is fine?

Casey came out and said he doesn't wish to discriminate against anyone. He made some uncomfortable statements about the reality of how travellers conduct themselves and he was suddenly the Reich Furher of a dangerous wave of far right sentiment in Ireland.

Ultimately the carry on of travellers is something that only be addressed by travellers, Pavee Point love to preach to the rest of us about our "intolerance" of their "culture". Have they every stopped to think how this lifestyle impacts on wider society? Just how tolerant of criminality and anti social behaviour should any society be? If a settled person involves themselves in criminality and violent behavior it's never acceptable, but if travellers do it we should accept it as a "cultural" issue?

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement