Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v S Africa 3rd Nov Match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Try_harder wrote: »
    He led with his shoulder

That's not illegal

He led with his shoulder

The question was about the wrap, nothing to do with shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

That's not illegal

No real attempt to tackle

Basil3 wrote: »
    Regardless, when it gets to the Knockout stage, either of these teams can beat anyone in the world.

Yeah, both seem like teams who can win close games. England proved that today I guess although I think the very best sides should feel capable of getting ahead of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It was the clearest, easiest decision that could have been made. How the **** has he not given it?

• Advertisement

No real attempt to tackle

You mean an attempt to wrap, and there was.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Came on here to ask, how I’m God’s green earth did Farrell get away with that? Any ref in here think it wasn’t a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Cipriani's was shoulder to the head

It was head to shoulder.

There’s a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You mean an attempt to wrap, and there was.

Put back on your specs, that's a peno all day every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The decision at the end will be a big taking point but not going for the drop goal a few minutes before was also ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Cipriani got a red vs Munster and he was backing away from the tackle.

Farrell absolutely busts Esterhuizen with the shoulder and no penalty, no yellow and no red.

Pathetic.

The inconsistency in reffing would grind your gears

No inconsistency what so ever. Cipriani got a red because he made contact with shoulder to head. Farrell hit him in the chest, in real time it looked like a definite penalty but on the replay, he hit him chest high and at least attempted to wrap. They are completely different tackles, no comparison and nothing to do with consistency.

It was head to shoulder.

There’s a difference.

You're right there at least!

The decision at the end will be a big taking point but not going for the drop goal a few minutes before was also ridiculous

That was stupid

It was head to shoulder.

There’s a difference.

Semantics.

Regardless, its not comparable to this situation as there was no contact with the head whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Unbelievable cowardice from the referee. But South Africa had five minutes before that to kick the winning points.

Might be slightly arrogant here but I didn't see anything from either side there that would really trouble Ireland.

In real time I didnt think it was a penalty, but the replay changed my mind

Unbelievable cowardice from the referee. But South Africa had five minutes before that to kick the winning points.

Might be slightly arrogant here but I didn't see anything from either side there that would really trouble Ireland.

I think the physicality of SA would worry anyone, but both teams had good defence and cancelled each other out to an extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

leakyboots wrote: »
    South Africa will if they get a bit more streetwise (don't balls up lineouts in the red zone, take the drop goal if its on etc)... which I think they will knowing Rassie and Nienaber.

They should really know that already. To lose so many lineouts in the red zone is very bad, to not even look for a drop goal is headless.

On a positive note England are crap and SA are headless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

No attempt to wrap from this view. Bad decision.

https://twitter.com/danlol360/status/1058765335678083072

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If, and its a big if, but IF Cipriani is a red, and WR are saying any shoulder to head area contact is a penalty minimum, then there shouldnt even have been a debate about that.

England are in for a hiding next week if they play like that again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Does anyone think that, even for a second, that would have been play on if it happened at any other point in the match?

His attempt to wrap was non-existent. He went in to nail him with his shoulder. Throwing a single arm up in the air is not an attempt to wrap, it is a life raft for the referee. It was reckless and Farrell even hurt himself in doing it. It makes a mockery of the recent attempts to clean up dangerous tackles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Clearly no attempt to wrap. Ref completely botted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

It was head to shoulder.

There’s a difference.

Care to point that out in the rules?
    Tackler has duty of care. Cipriani stood up and made no attempt at a proper tackle. Red card all day.

That was an awful attempt at a tackle by Farrell.
    He and England should have been punished.
    I hope he’s cited upon review.

SA left it behind them in the first half.
    Marx let them down badly when it counted.

Care to point that out in the rules?
    Tackler has duty of care. Cipriani stood up and made no attempt at a proper tackle. Red card all day.

There are no rules.
    There are laws.

And you know well that what I’m getting at can’t be “pointed out”.
    It comes down to context and interpretation.
    Both refs got the decisions wrong in my opinion.
    But that’s all it is, one mans opinion.

I’m happy to move on now as we won’t agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

I have to say I thought it was a stone cold penalty on first viewing. However being totally objective, the replay angle from in front of OF (as opposed to the clip shown above) did suggest a hint of an attempted wrap. I think that was what swayed the ref, although I don't agree that there was enough of an attempt.

However I think he was extremely lucky. Many other refs would have given that. I can fully understand Bok fans being pretty pissed off.

You can see him rotating his arm, just prior to the hit; Absolutely no intention of a fair tackle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

At no point did Farrell even attempt to wrap, it's a stonewall penalty.... he'll be cited for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

From Cipriani’s being deemed a red to that being deemed not a penalty- is it any wonder players and fans don’t know what is legal and what is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

There are no rules.
    There are laws.

And you know well that what I’m getting at can’t be “pointed out”.
    It comes down to context and interpretation.
    Both refs got the decisions wrong in my opinion.
    But that’s all it is, one mans opinion.

I’m happy to limber on now as we won’t agree.

Rules/laws same difference.
    You are trying to legitimise a dangerous tackle by claiming some flimsy point about cipriani moving backwards.
    The laws are clear on this so that there is no interpretation by the ref. A shoulder to the face is a red.
    There is nothing to agree on here. there are the rules sorry laws and then there is your inability to understand them

Advertisement