Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef the Professionals 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The particular chocolate he is using?
    Yeah I get that, but most would just say "dark chocolate", or just "chocolate". I don't recall anyone specifying the percentage in the title of their dessert before!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dovies wrote: »
    Always get the feeling Marcus takes an instant dislike to someone and it doesn't matter what they do in the skills test

I always get the feeling he's just dying to have a Gordon Ramsey style go at some of the chefs, actually he probably does but it's just edited out.

Anyone else hear "a little bowl of rats" from Greg? :eek:

Euwwwww..... oysters :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Maybe I shouldn't speak too soon, but Gregg Wallace seems a bit less annoying than usual this season.

• Advertisement

twill wrote: »
    Maybe I shouldn't speak too soon, but Gregg Wallace seems a bit less annoying than usual this season.

He's on a lot less than in previous seasons (or at least I think he is), that might have something to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭4Ad

Just slated one lad for not using eggs (he did).
    The next lad hardly used any and no complaint..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I want eggs Benedict now

I'm only catching up on last night's show now.... the first three chefs all butcher (and I use that word on purpose) an entire pineapple for a one serving dish. The waste :mad:.

Chicken oysters, WTF are they when they're at home? :confused:

ETA - I may never have heard of them, but Monica can come and cook that any day I have a hangover, that looks like my ultimate comfort food!

• Advertisement

Tonight -well, last night - is the night of the drum sieve (or whatever it's called)!

I think I've watched too much MC in too short a time, I can hardly tell them all apart at this stage!

But the two bright-eyed youngfellas (Laurence and the posh 23 year old fella from Tuesday) look like dead certs in advance of the critics round. I really like them both, so hope they don't crash and burn.

Completely O/T, but I love the crockery a lot of them are using this year! Looks like Louis Mulcahy.

23yr old posh youngfella (Matthew) I reckon has more than a touch of uberprofessionalism (aka OCD) about him - he looked properly rattled by the invention test, but still did well.

He's a conteneder, for sure, along with Laurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Laurence has done the skills test, signature round, invention test and cooked for the critics (so in total 5 dishes) and I don't think he's had one negative comment? He's set the bar very high for himself. Strong contender for sure!

Yeah Matthew said he likes to plan and so was nervous for the invention test, but he still did well and he's very cool, calm and collected when he is doing what he knows in advance. Also a contender. I'll have to wait for next week to remember who else I thought was a potential finalist!

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Laurence has done the skills test, signature round, invention test and cooked for the critics (so in total 5 dishes) and I don't think he's had one negative comment? He's set the bar very high for himself. Strong contender for sure!

Yeah Matthew said he likes to plan and so was nervous for the invention test, but he still did well and he's very cool, calm and collected when he is doing what he knows in advance. Also a contender. I'll have to wait for next week to remember who else I thought was a potential finalist!

This!

I didn't recognise half the faces, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw the French girl (Elizabeth?) - I seem to remember thinking she was great.

Yeah, if Laurence can keep up that level of cooking (if that's even possible!) he has to be a favourite.

Matthew has a look of royalty about him! (echoes of Princess Diana/Prince William!)

Missed it today. Anywhere there's a replay before tomorrows show?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Just finished episode 13 (binge watched 11-13). There's some serious competition this year, rarely has the roster been this strong. Any three from Laurence, Dean, William, Oli, Alex and Sean could conceivably be in the final. I think the French lady (can't remember her name), Mark, Michelle and Luke have reached their apex today, they won't be getting any further.

Ep 12. I though Dave got absolutely boned, on the day I thought he performed better than Oli did (the other two were more or less perfect) and deserved to go through. He was punching above his weight though, I know, but still. I liked him (really I liked that he was so shocked he was getting through and felt good for him).

Ep 13. In the cookoff, Mohan was boned as well. I felt he was better than Michelle and Luke on the day and was also better throughout.

William is probably the character I like the most at this point (maybe Matthew), but I feel he might be a bit limited in the later rounds (the ones that require a greater range). Like Mohan, he's just so joyous in his food and the face on him when Marcus toyed with him and said something like "Blackberries and fish don't go ... I thought, but this is delicious" was fantastic to see.

Matthew or Sean would be the ones of those I expect could win. They've been great so far (to be fair so have the others) but they seem likeable - Sean particularly, but Matthew is so self aware I can't but be impressed.

I just don't want Dean to win. I don't see the appeal in his dishes, but he's been getting plaudits from Marcus and Monica so what do I know. Still, maybe it's his odd looking face that looks like a waxwork model, or that it appears the other chefs don't really like him. Maybe he's just really socially awkward, in which case fair enough, I take it back. I just can't warm to him. There's a possible reason for all this, but I'll leave it there.

I just don't want Dean to win. I don't see the appeal in his dishes, but he's been getting plaudits from Marcus and Monica so what do I know. Still, maybe it's his odd looking face that looks like a waxwork model, or that it appears the other chefs don't really like him. Maybe he's just really socially awkward, in which case fair enough, I take it back. I just can't warm to him. There's a possible reason for all this, but I'll leave it there.

I completely get where you're coming from. He just seems cold and I dislike him. It's so harsh but it's just one of those things. Like Lawrence seems like a bit of a pompous competitor but I still want him to do well because I think he's amazing. Dean seems amazing too but I don't want him to go far. I can't put my finger on it!

Some of the food has been amazing looking. I'm always starving watching it!

Some of the food has been amazing looking. I'm always starving watching it!

The habit I've learned through many years of watching Masterchef Professionals - watch it while you're eating dinner. If you watch it hungry, or even remotely far away from meal time, you are screwed and end up starving and drooling all over yourself.

The habit I've learned through many years of watching Masterchef Professionals - watch it while you're eating dinner. If you watch it hungry, or even remotely far away from meal time, you are screwed and end up starving and drooling all over yourself.

I was eating dinner :)

• Advertisement

I was eating dinner :)

You fat bastard!

(I totally relate)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dean reminds me a bit of a Thunderbirds puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeh, looks like he had a facelift or something

He is going to win it though, in the bag

Dean looks like Rodrigo from CBB!

Catching up on the week's episodes tonight......

Jaypers, the standard is high this year :eek:

Can't remember who is who, but the youngfella (Prince William) who burnt the beef/sauce the first evening this week, but still managed a standout dish - best looking plate of that day for me. Also the roast chicken dish.

The dessert they served up to the nautical gang in Trinity House looked AMAZING!!! I was absolutely drooling watching that.

Their starter for that meal was about twice the size of the main! (which one of the guests seemed to comment on). Parfait and fresh-baked ciabatta would constitute a starter for me, or half the starter plate they served, or the other half - but all three as a starter was just bizarre!

I'm just getting to the knockout round of the first lot- I'll be gutted to see any of these guys knocked out, one of them will really have to **** up or they'll have a hell of a decision on their hands!

Two phrases that put my teeth on edge and are driving me absolutely mad - a "little" this and that - a little sauce, a little garnish, a little veloute..... and "crack on" ....... AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHH! :mad:
    /RANT

Ah here now..... the two teams independently came up with the idea of writing notes for the diners? Really???

Don't fancy the sound of this second day's team menu half as much as yesterday's, I have to say.

I've just read back the comments from the week - and interesting that I'd noticed Dean this week as well.

He was fine in the initial rounds when he was doing his own thing, but looked really out of place (particularly compared to the previous night's team) when he had to operate with all the others - the dessert guy seemed to completely brush him off (although nicely), and he didn't seem to deal with that very well.

There might be a very good reason why he's a private chef!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've just read back the comments from the week - and interesting that I'd noticed Dean this week as well.

He was fine in the initial rounds when he was doing his own thing, but looked really out of place (particularly compared to the previous night's team) when he had to operate with all the others - the dessert guy seemed to completely brush him off (although nicely), and he didn't seem to deal with that very well.

There might be a very good reason why he's a private chef!

Puppet looks aside himself and Laurence (is it?) seem the two most talented by a distance.

I'm falling behind tonight, watching on a very dodgy VPN - but I have a feeling this is the episode is where they're going to lose me.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Today's challenge was brutal - is that the format they usually use?

Advertisement