Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef the Professionals 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone else watching? I'm a bit behind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yeah watched it last night. I prefer the amateur one TBH. I don't mind the later rounds but I don't like the preliminary ones - can't explain but I always feel bad for them when they mess up and they are supposed to know what they are doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just tune in for Monica's facial expressions. :)

I have it recorded so I'll get to it soon I hope.

I do miss Michel Roux though.

The pulling faces thing is getting completely out of hand at this stage!

I agree that it's slightly mortifying to see pro chefs, immediately after bigging themselves up in their profile blurb, make a holy show of themselves by fudging the most basic of tasks in the skills test.

But making a slice of toast would be difficult, with lights and cameras and those three staring like hawks at you while pulling appalled faces (sometimes seemingly only for effect as they praise the chef after).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The pulling faces thing is getting completely out of hand at this stage!

I agree that it's slightly mortifying to see pro chefs, immediately after bigging themselves up in their profile blurb, make a holy show of themselves by fudging the most basic of tasks in the skills test.

But making a slice of toast would be difficult, with lights and cameras and those three staring like hawks at you while pulling appalled faces (sometimes seemingly only for effect as they praise the chef after).

The only comparison I have is when someone comes over to my desk and I have to type things in front of them - I type like I've never laid eyes on a keyboard before, so slow, loads of typos. But if nobody is watching I can touch type at above-average speed. I think the pressure must be absolutely huge!

The guy who undercooked the lamb seems to be very ambitious. I liked Andre though - he just did a "simple" dish - seemed to be tasty and everything worked well. In that first round, there's bound to be people biting off way more than they can chew to try and impress with all their techniques etc so it is the one round I think you can afford to play it relatively safe in. I suspect doing that would help you find your feet in the kitchen for QF stage and just up your confidence a notch that you achieved your aim within the time last time so you can do it again. I think he's one to watch. Looking forward to this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

I genuinely wonder if they spend time filming a variety of appalled faces that the editor just cuts into the footage to heighten tension.

Double post!

I must say Monica's gurnard dish looks delicious.

I'm about 10 minutes behind.....

they're all going to do the fish first, and fail completely on the sauce, aren't they??

They find unique and novel ways to fail!

• Advertisement

Oh Marika..... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I'd murder a hangar steak right now! Have a feeling these are going to as well:)

I'm impressed that he can produce a steak dinner in 15 mins!

But jaysus the amount of oil and fat used in preparing it :eek: (and I'm a total fat/butter fiend)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm impressed that he can produce a steak dinner in 15 mins!

But jaysus the amount of oil and fat used in preparing it :eek: (and I'm a total fat/butter fiend)

"Bit of butter" - 4 huge knobs :D

All this chimichurri sauce talk is bringing back happy memories of Argentinian barbeque restaurants in Patagonia, fabulous steaks and tangy sauce and a good Malbec...... yummmmmmm!!!

G'wan that 12-year-old-looking chef who cooked the quail, I loved the sound of his dish, more so than any of the others!

None of them covered themselves in glory this time, I think, bar the last fella (with his cigars stewed in more pints of butter!). He seems like a nice level-headed fella who can seriously cook.

Marika!

I was not expecting that.....

And not at all sure I agree with that for a decision.

Luke is very impressive. He hasn't put a foot wrong yet and is very composed and good-humoured under pressure.

And Michelle, too, was surprisingly good given that she was a little shaky before.

Any Strictly fans on here?

The Maltese fella reminds me sooooo much of Giovanni (whom I can't stand)..... can't warm to him at all because of that!

Just catching up on the quarter final now, hope it's a good one!

Luke's coconut dish looks amazing!

• Advertisement

Monica - "Smile, Luke, smile"

Luke - "I'm always smiling, chef" (subtext - FO Monica, trying to wind me up, you won't succeed)

I like Luke a lot!!

Anyone else tuning in tonight?

That first fella fairly looked like he knew his onions!

The second fella...... do you not always dry-fry spices? Frying them in oil looks unusual (but I literally know nothing, so genuine question here!)

Ah here..... that Scotch egg challenge is above and beyond :eek:

I'm fascinated by them all (well, esp Marcus) going on and on about the scallop and pineapple dish, and there being too much pineapple on it - nobody forces you to eat ALL of the pineapple, surely? :confused: You'd take a forkful of whatever proportions you fancy of each food, no?

Apart from that, it sounded like a fairly horrible combination, so it's all a bit academic - but just one of those things that grates occasionally.

All the most appalled faces today for Tristan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Very tough competition this. Not sure why a chef would apply.

Chocolate ice-cream for the Baked Alaska? That's just not right.

twill wrote: »
    All the most appalled faces today for Tristan.
    Walli gave him a run for his money!

And this private catering girl as well :eek:

• Advertisement

twill wrote: »
    Chocolate ice-cream for the Baked Alaska? That's just not right.

I've never eaten one in my life, wouldn't have known that chocolate ice-cream is wrong :confused:

Advertisement