Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Ads 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I like the message of the John Lewis as but it doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzy feeling I’d expect. It’s really well done though, and the kid is so cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Baybay

Lost both my parents over the past few years. I’m well into adulthood so not enexpected! The Christmas ads all seem to have taken on new poignancy though & with most of them, including Elton John’s particularly as I love the song anyway, I’m left a sobbing, shoulder shaking bit of a mess. I miss & think of my parents every day so it’s not like I need the ad to remind me to grieve but there seems to come across a kind of solidarity somehow in the general, human experience which I find comforting. Plus the knowledge that’s it’s ok to feel what you feel, all year round.

Sorry for the downer, didn’t mean it to be. Love Christmas! Love the ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I saw the Curry's/PC World advert last night for the first time, it's very clever.
    It could have been done any time of the year so its just the setting that's different but still, different at least!

The ASDA one is the most "feel good" for me, anyway, great song too.

I only rank them once I've seen them on tv!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I love the JL Elton John ad. It gets the message through about the Power if giving a gift and what the right gift can do for someone without the overly cringeyness of the Boots ad. It's very understated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I really like the John Lewis ad, but feel it could be a bit more Christmassy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

John Lewis ad.... Bit disappointed. Not helped that I'm not a fan of EJ.

Nothing will beat the bear and the hare. That was so creative and the sweetest thing ever .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jude13 wrote: »
    I just got a chance to watch these with the sound on:

Visa, Very and Tesco are good.

The argus one made me laugh when the elf robbed the sellotape.

The heathrow one, mother of god, Ive just checked in to a hotel in Kuwait after a flight here and knowing we can't make it home for Christmas made the room very dusty. I will write strongly worded letter saying you can have a good expat christmas.

Christmas in Kuwait? Good luck to ya. With the weather and all now. Couldn't get out of there fast enough last year!

I like the John Lewis one but I am a huge Elton John fan. Lots of people online saying it's promoting his movie but if you didn't know there was a movie then I don't think you would be any wiser after that advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Didn’t know there was a movie, but I did immediately think about ticket sales for his tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I was just in Kuwait for a few days. Christmas will be in the UAE. I can't watch the john lewis one until Im home so I am clock watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I like Elton John & I like Your Song, but for some reason that ad is not doing it from me, especially as a Christmas ad. I think it looks too much like a music video and it takes too long for it to get to the Christmas bit.

This is not the first year where I'm left wondering what all the hype is about specifically for JL ad when there's much better ads out there....

I daren't watch the Heathrow ad at work.....I have a feeling I'll be a blubbering mess, so will have to do that at home!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jude13 wrote: »
    I was just in Kuwait for a few days. Christmas will be in the UAE. I can't watch the john lewis one until Im home so I am clock watching.

*waves from the UAE*

I'm new to Abu Dhabi so I'm heading home this Christmas and may stay next Christmas. These adverts are making me excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am very jealous. I was meant to be in Abu Dhabi this week. When I lived in Oman I transited through AD on the way home for Christmas and go stuck in the airport overnight due to the big snow in Ireland. I must have watched the Guinness ad a hundred times that night, I was so giddy.

Hope AD is treating you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭DvB

HAd intended to watch the John lewis advert tonight 'live' so to speak, but gave in & watched it there. Not what I expected, TBH I dont know what I expected, but i feel this has been done before, ie someone looking back over their life and a gift as a child starting them on a 'journey'
    Nice advert, but hardly original.
    The snowmen and The bear & The hare have yet to be matched.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

DvB wrote: »
    HAd intended to watch the John lewis advert tonight 'live' so to speak, but gave in & watched it there. Not what I expected, TBH I dont know what I expected, but i feel this has been done before, ie someone looking back over their life and a gift as a child starting them on a 'journey'
    Nice advert, but hardly original.
    The snowmen and The bear & The hare have yet to be matched.
    The Bear & The Hare will go down as a "classic" Christmas ad. The one with the old man on the moon was decent too. New one is fairly ****e imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The one with the old man on the moon was decent too. .

Always thought they missed a trick with that one. The moon should have been a metaphor for the old man simply living on the other side of the street or suchlike, similar to the penguin one ending up with the penguin being a stuffed toy.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I kinda like the JL one. Not as good as some years but still a decent ad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The snowman, penguin, bear and the hare and the child waiting for Christmas are classic John Lewis ads. I just think they're a victim of their own success now. Too much hype instead of keeping it simple and classically festive.

The trampoline one was a real low point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Posy wrote: »
    The snowman, penguin, bear and the hare and the child waiting for Christmas are classic John Lewis ads. I just think they're a victim of their own success now. Too much hype instead of keeping it simple and classically festive.

The trampoline one was a real low point for me.
    Agree, going for Elton John is a bit like "jumping the shark" in TV parlance. Kinda reminds me of The Simpsons wane in quality and their over-reliance on "guest celebrity characters". I'm definitely over-analysing this ad! :D

Haha, I think we all do here- you might as well join in! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I actually like the John Lewis ad, it brought a tear to my eye. However, while it is lovely, I'm not sure it's very Christmassy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Elton John is well-known for his diva tantrums and snootiness.

I really think this advert is just out of touch. It's more a promo for his next tour.

Actually, it's all getting a bit tragic these Christmas ads spending millions to outdo each other.

Then again, I'm probably just cynical and grumpy in my old age

One of the top comments on YouTube for the John Lewis ad is THEY DON'T EVEN SELL PIANOS. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

That’s what I was thinking until I read;

But shoppers might be disappointed to learn that there will be no plush toys available in Elton's likeness this year, with the retailer instead selling four pianos - two uprights for around £800 and two keyboards starting at £150 - and a range of vintage tour t-shirts.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/elton-john-takes-centre-stage-as-john-lewis-release-christmas-ad-885542.html

Digital piano ≠ piano. Elton wouldn't like that at all. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Lidl respond to the John Lewis Ad :)

Screen-Shot-2018-11-15-at-20.34.49-787x1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Lidl respond to the John Lewis Ad :)

Screen-Shot-2018-11-15-at-20.34.49-787x1024.png

That’s the best thing related to this years John Lewis ad.

That's very good! Well played Lidl!! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not a fan of the John Lewis ad. To be honest if it was any other time of the year it’d be great but it’s not a Christmas ad really.

Neither was the feckin' trampoline one. It could have been a birthday present, since there was absolutely nothing festive in that one either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

Loughc wrote: »
    Not a fan of the John Lewis ad. To be honest, if it was any other time of the year it’d be great but it’s not a Christmas ad really.
    i dont like the john lewis add and the banned Iceland add was not about Christmas but it was a nice little add..you cant beat Kevin carrot though.best add ever was the 1996 pennys add

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=athHodH_nis

Advertisement