Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the British Shooting Show, what can I actually bring home on the plane.

Options
  • 29-10-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

So myself and a friend have booked our tickets for the British Shooting Show in Birmingham next February. I was tempted to buy an air rifle there but seems like it will be too much grief so I’ll be getting that here instead. What’s the deal with buying a scope and bringing it home on the plane? Is it plain sailing or is there any red tape attached.
    Also I’d love to pick up some pellets there and I realise I’d have to get an import license for them, has anyone gone down this road before? This leads me on to my next question which is what kind of ammo count have people got on there licenses for air rifle pellets, I’ve only a measly 500 or one tin so I’m going to ask for an increase and want to know what people have gotten before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I think you should be ok with a scope, anything else and i would forget it. If you were iffy about it, you could get the seller to post it to you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Kran wrote: »
    I was tempted to buy an air rifle there but seems like it will be too much grief [/uote]
    It's a firearm here so that means license, import forms, etc. Too grief as you said.
    What’s the deal with buying a scope and bringing it home on the plane? Is it plain sailing or is there any red tape attached.
    Anything over 4 power requires an end user agreement, but this is when i've bought and had them shipped over. Not sure if the same agreement is necessary for buying "on site" and bringing it home in your case.

Some of the stuff with no issues or none i can think of:
    • Binoculars
    • Rangefinders
    • Clothing/apparel
    • Camo
    • Cartridge belts
    • Decoys
    • Books/DVDs, etc
    • Rings/rails
    • Slings

Stuff that can be brought over but with some sort of caveat:
    • Scopes
    • Knives
    • Magazines (rifle)
    • Firearm parts/accessories (that are classed as component parts)

I'm sure there will be plenty more but i cannot think of much you'd bring back. Like a dog, don't try and put a dog in your overhead bin. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Cass wrote: »
    Anything over 4 power requires an end user agreement, but this is when i've bought and had them shipped over. Not sure if the same agreement is necessary for buying "on site" and bringing it home in your case.
    Is this agreement something that the dealer supplied or something I could get from the Dep of Justice and have printed out and ready to go?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its not for here, its the UK.

If a scope is being sold/shipped outside the UK and it's over 4 power you have to do an end user agreement. It takes two weeks or so to get the paperwork done and it's the dealer on the other side that does it. It's free but unless you know what you're buying it cannot be done beforehand.

As said this is when buying and shipping over. Not sure if its the same if you bought there and just brought it home with you.

The end user is simply a promise not to sell the scope onto ISIS, Taliban, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

I bought a scope at the show this year and no issues, although they did look at it. A hawke 6-14x50. I tried a tin of pellets but they were confiscated and binned which I thought they might have been. That's the law I guess. Someone has told me since that they have brought pellets in their hand luggage, by emptying them into a ziploc bag and labelling them fishing weights?? Lol, and binning the tin. I haven't tried this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

nophd08 wrote: »
    I bought a scope at the show this year and no issues, although they did look at it. A hawke 6-14x50. I tried a tin of pellets but they were confiscated and binned which I thought they might have been. That's the law I guess. Someone has told me since that they have brought pellets in their hand luggage, by emptying them into a ziploc bag and labelling them fishing weights?? Lol, and binning the tin. I haven't tried this.

Skating on thin ice though doing that, technically its firearms ammunition you are trying to smuggle in. Could find yourself in deep plop.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭brianfrancis45

I bought a 10 power scope at the Game Fair in UK this year and asked the shop if I needed to sign any paperwork with them as I would be bringing it back to Ireland. They told me no need for any paperwork as they were not exporting the scope and were just selling to me in the UK , after which the scope was my property and I could do what I wanted with it. A couple of other guys on the coach with me also bought scopes and none of us had any problem.

We travelled by coach and ferry so I don't know if it might be different at the airport due to checks etc.

I'm flying over to the shooting show myself in February and intend on buying another 16 power scope . I'm not expecting any problems bringing it back if what the shop at the Game Fair told me is correct.

Advertisement