Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol mags

Options
  • 27-10-2018 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Is there now a restriction on the amount of five shot magazines you can own for a pistol
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nope. Unless your Super has put some pre condition on your lic?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭fishead

It must be in the hands of the local Super. I know of one person who had to have the magazine brought go the Super to inspect by an RFD and is now told he's allowed one mag which must have the pistol serial number engraved on the mag

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

fishead wrote: »
    It must be in the hands of the local Super. I know of one person who had to have the magazine brought go the Super to inspect by an RFD and is now told he's allowed one mag which must have the pistol serial number engraved on the mag

That sounds like the Super acting outside of the law.

That sounds like the Super is acting outside of the law.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nope, none.

If your Super makes it a condition you can appeal it via the court route and the Super will have to explain his/her reasoning.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

It does , But he's getting his way

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭NASRPC

Cass wrote: »
    Nope, none.

If your Super makes it a condition you can appeal it via the court route and the Super will have to explain his/her reasoning.

Agreed.

When applying for your pistol license, you are sometimes required to state the reason for it (always. If restricted)

However, it is a bit moot, as the only reason you can have it is "target shooting"

In that context, one magazine is not sufficient and can prevent you from taking part in "target shooting"

Even in a competitive discipline where you are only required to fire five shots, you need a second magazine, in case of a jam, failure to fire, etc.

In the vast majority of disciplines, shot at a Nationally Graded standard, you require at least 6 rounds, and up to 20 rounds, to complete a detail.

Allowing for one spare, means, for example, you need a minimum of 3 magazines to compete in 25m Precision and 5 magazines to compete in GP85.

In essence, to compete fully in Smallbore Pistol, on the National Circuit, you need at least 5 magazines.

Can be worth writing to your super, explaining why it is a problem and asking them reconsider.

In the event that they do not, and you decide to appeal via the courts, you would have a much stronger case, for having explained your reasoning, in a letter, thus requiring the licensor to explain their reasons, in kind.

Odds are they will recind the condition, when you explain yourself.

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. This is happening to a fellow shooter and I am in the process of changing pistols. On my receipt for the Garda they're three magazine. My fear is the same will happen to me even though the pistol I sold had more than one mag. Hopefully I'm worrying about something that might not haphappen

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. This is happening to a fellow shooter and I am in the process of changing pistols. On my receipt for the Garda they're three magazine. My fear is the same will happen to me even though the pistol I sold had more than one mag. Hopefully I'm worrying about something that might not haphappen

Just be sure that you have a letter from an RFD stating that the magazine(s) that come with the firearm have been restricted to hold no more than 5 rounds, as that is a requirement under law.

NASRPC

Interesting job too. How are you going to engrave the numbers on the mag as well? without destroying the mags or getting rather expensive micro-engraving done?Which is useless for quick identification as you need a magnifying glass to read it.I'd also be adding that point in my letter,that this requirement is also not very feasible with a .22 magazine.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Well the end of this story is. He is allowed one five shot magazine. His house must be alarmed and a safe must be installed in his car to bring his pistol from his house to the range,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Whens the madness gonna end.

House alarmed and safe in car is fair enough might actually do that myself for piece of mind but the mag is a joke

Well the end of this story is. He is allowed one five shot magazine. His house must be alarmed and a safe must be installed in his car to bring his pistol from his house to the range,

Is the condition that your friend is only allowed one pistol magazine written in a letter or is this what he was told?

I've no problem with the alarm and safe aspect of the conditions, but the one magazine is crazy. That makes it impossible to take part in GP40, T&P and many more pistol competitions.

It makes it untenable to take part in ANY competition.

Even in a 25m Precision you have to fire 10 rounds in 3 minutes.

That requires two magazines

And you should have a third in case you drop one as you are not allowed to retrieve anything you drop until the entire range has been declared clear.

NASRPC

I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Only if you accept it.

NASRPC

That's true and the Super said that to him "you can take me to court"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Richard308

I’d accept his challenge. Plenty of case law. You’ve only to prove good reason for having it. Ie competition use is good reason. . He’s to prove good reason not to give you the mags.
    That's true and the Super said that to him "you can take me to court"

Do not be confused by thinking it is a licensing appeal - it is not - you have not been refused.

You would be asking the courts to adjudicate on a difference of opinion - asking it to say what the law has to say on the matter.

The law says that the Super may impose any and all restrictions they wish, to ensure the public safety.

So you would be arguing whether or not his decision is necessary to ensure the public safety - or from another perspective - whether overturning his decision would increase or lower the public safety.

Not black and white at all.

NASRPC

NASRPC wrote: »
    Do not be confused by thinking it is a licensing appeal - it is not - you have not been refused.

You would be asking the courts to adjudicate on a difference of opinion - asking it to say what the law has to say on the matter.

The law says that the Super may impose any and all restrictions they wish, to ensure the public safety.

So you would be arguing whether or not his decision is necessary to ensure the public safety - or from another perspective - whether overturning his decision would increase or lower the public safety.

Not black and white at all.

NASRPC

The reason for having the firearm in the first place is target shooting but those conditions frustrate your ability to partake in target shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Richard308

The decision is not logical and flawed. You can have a pistol but you can’t shoot competitions with it. A flat out refusal would make more sense. The decision is you can have a pistol for shooting competitions but you can’t shoot competitions because we are prohibiting you from having the necessay equipment to partake. Write in asking tthe super in question for the Decision in writing. I’m guessing it was transmitted to you over the phone. Then you may begin your battle to be allowed compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭clivej

Always, always get it in black and white. Signed and on headed paper. Ask for the reasons for the mag limit restriction

This Super sounds like a great beliver of "Moats with sharks,with head mounted lazer beams on them!"type security.:rolleyes:

It's whats called a Vexatious clause in law.And actually he has two.installing a "safe" in his car is the other.Which depending on his budget,type of car etc,could be virtually impossible to fulfill.Imagine installing a long gun safe in an Audi A3 convertible for example?

As stated he has good reason to have multiple mags in the competition,and the vexing part is that he cannt compete without three or more mags.Ergo,it is denying him fair usage of the gun.Ergo,he can take it to court as the ultima ratio as this condition is too onerous and vexatious for him to comply with his liscense terms and to the reasonable enjoyment of his property.

Indeed try all diplomatic channels first,but I get the feeling from reading this and CliveJs thread on DC costs,that this is one and the same guy,and he isnt getting very far?

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    This Super sounds like a great beliver of "Moats with sharks,with head mounted lazer beams on them!"type security.:rolleyes:

It's whats called a Vexatious clause in law.And actually he has two.installing a "safe" in his car is the other.Which depending on his budget,type of car etc,could be virtually impossible to fulfill.Imagine installing a long gun safe in an Audi A3 convertible for example?

As stated he has good reason to have multiple mags in the competition,and the vexing part is that he cannt compete without three or more mags.Ergo,it is denying him fair usage of the gun.Ergo,he can take it to court as the ultima ratio as this condition is too onerous and vexatious for him to comply with his liscense terms and to the reasonable enjoyment of his property.

Indeed try all diplomatic channels first,but I get the feeling from reading this and CliveJs thread on DC costs,that this is one and the same guy,and he isnt getting very far?

I've the gun safe in the car condition on 2 of my licences. It isn't a problem. When I'm going to the range I put an old safe into the boot and chain it to the metalwork. The rest of the time the safe is in the shed- empty.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've the gun safe in the car condition on 2 of my licences. It isn't a problem.

Same here - no problem - I don't have a car.

Advertisement