Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi driver got lost then tried to charge more

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Desiree Burch

trellheim wrote: »
    This is very suspicious

A taxi without a meter isn't a taxi and you should get straight back out again. However, it may not have been running or in the mirror or something like that.

Most taxis are starting to have card readers now, as its a requirement for new airport permits. Still a pain though cos cabdrivers do like their cash. They should make it like London where its a rule - black cabs must have card readers.

It was possibly switched off now that u say it. But it definitely wasn't running. Agreed on €100 before we left and I paid by card. That's where he got my name. He also sent pics to the Gardai.

I just cannot get my head around why the Gardai would entertain this. Calling me in for a statement and mentioning adult cautions and generally making me out to be a criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

coylemj wrote: »
    It's the taxi driver's problem once the price was agreed in advance. I really don't know what sort of story he spun to the Gardai, they should have told him it is a civil matter, given that you paid him the pre-agreed fare.

Frankly I'm amazed that a Garda bothered to sit down and take a statement from you for such a trivial matter. How long after the event did the Garda phone you to go in and make a statement? I'd strongly suspect the Garda and the taxi driver are drinking buddies.

Not a civil matter as the taxi is providing a service to the public.

That would be like saying shoplifting is a civil matter.

Gardai are obliged to investigate. This was an easy one - get the other side and inform taxi driver that there is no case. Complaint closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Something doesn’t add up

• Registered Users Posts: 25,341 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not a civil matter as the taxi is providing a service to the public.

OP did not set out to avoid paying the fare so this is not fare evasion. It's a contractual dispute about the delivery of a service and most definitely a civil matter.

What has 'providing a service to the public' got to do with it? A painter & decorator provides a service to the public but if you don't pay him, is it a criminal matter?
    That would be like saying shoplifting is a civil matter.

No it is not. Shoplifting is theft involving an intent to defraud which is not present here.
    Gardai are obliged to investigate. This was an easy one - get the other side and inform taxi driver that there is no case. Complaint closed.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

A lot of the meters are now built into the rear view mirrors so quite possible it was a taxi with the meter switched off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Got a taxi recently, we agreed a price of €100 before we set off. I paid by card so have proof of payment. Driver got lost a few times but got there in the end but he wanted another €60 off me. I refused and got out and left. He reported me to the Gardai for this. Guard rings me to go in a make a statement which I did. Showed them my bank statement confirming I paid.

Surely it's not my fault he got lost?

Why did you agree a price ?? All taxi journeys must be on the meter. He/she can give a discount at the end of the fare .
    Where were u going to and from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

There are so much chancers when it comes to taximen. We should really have Uber available in this country. They wouldn't survive.

and you wont have "chancers" with Uber?

By the way have you got evidence that "there are so much chancers when it comes to taximen" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

thomasj wrote: »
    I find it bizarre that he had a cardreader and not a meter.

I have never been in a taxi that had a card reader, they're few and far between.

Lots of taxis have card readers, the drivers would just rather you pay them cash. If I'm in a taxi and not using halo, I'll insist on paying by card rather than him stopping at an a.t.m. I use the "I need the receipt for expenses for work" excuse.
    Mr.Frame wrote: »
    By the way have you got evidence that "there are so much chancers when it comes to taximen" ?

Searching "taxi" in consumer issues will give you lots of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Got a taxi recently, we agreed a price of €100 before we set off. I paid by card so have proof of payment. Driver got lost a few times but got there in the end but he wanted another €60 off me. I refused and got out and left. He reported me to the Gardai for this. Guard rings me to go in a make a statement which I did. Showed them my bank statement confirming I paid.

This is not a matter for the guards as you paid what was agreed. If the Taxi driver is aggrieved then they need to take a civil action. Conversely if you made off without paying at all it would be a criminal matter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I don't see much point in a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman. The Garda is perfectly entitled to pursue a complaint.

If what they the OP has said is correct — ie (1) he paid up front and has proof of this, (2) he made a statement to the Gardai to this effect, and (3) he’s not leaving out any details, then the Gardai have zero business interfering in a civil issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

This sounds mad. I know that the guards do have a role to play in non payment of taxi fares + people have been prosecuted in court.

However in this case you paid + what's more the taxi man accepted this amount at the time. I smell a rat. Something not adding up. Taxi man can't have it both ways if he turned off meter than can't back track. Definitely make a compliant to taxi regulator. I'd also be looking into making a complaint about guard. Fair enough he might have had to look into it but the way he went about it is definitely not acceptable.

AFAIK, any driver can set their own rates once those rates don't exceed the fares set by the NTA. Some taxi firms have offered discounted rates. The reason Uber don't operate here is because they can't get away with using unlicensed drivers here, unlike the UK/US.

They can’t get away with using unlicensed drivers in the U.K. either. Uber in the U.K. is basically minicab/private hire drivers (UK equivalent of Irish “hackney”) who prefer Uber to a radio circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Cop is mixed in with the driver or on the take most likely. I'd like to say you're safe enough as it's ridiculous but that's not how things can go in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

".. If I'm in a taxi and not using halo, I'll insist on paying by card rather than him stopping at an a.t.m. I use the "I need the receipt for expenses for work" excuse..."
    A receipt is automatically printed for every journey,whether it's cash card or app.

monument wrote: »
    If what they the OP has said is correct — ie (1) he paid up front and has proof of this, (2) he made a statement to the Gardai to this effect, and (3) he’s not leaving out any details, then the Gardai have zero business interfering in a civil issue.

Fully agree; once tgecgarda establishing shed that the OP paid more than a trivial amount then this established that it was not an attempt to “make off” or obtain a service by deception but instead a dispute as to the commercial price. That is a civil matter. I trust that the Garda acted without knowledge rather than in. Illusion with the taxi driver as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Lots of taxis have card readers, the drivers would just rather you pay them cash. If I'm in a taxi and not using halo, I'll insist on paying by card rather than him stopping at an a.t.m. I use the "I need the receipt for expenses for work" excuse.

Searching "taxi" in consumer issues will give you lots of evidence.

Lots do, lots do not, however not having a card machine and the ability to produce a card receipt isn't an excuse for you to not pay as all taxis should have a printer attached to the meter, the onus is actually on you the customer to be able to pay by whatever means the driver needs.

I do have a card reader, however it only works when I have an internet connection which given the state of mobile infrastructure in Ireland isn't a given that it will work in parts of the country.

AFAIK, any driver can set their own rates once those rates don't exceed the fares set by the NTA. Some taxi firms have offered discounted rates. The reason Uber don't operate here is because they can't get away with using unlicensed drivers here, unlike the UK/US.

As I said earlier Uber were not obeying the maximum fare order in Ireland by using mobile phones to calculate a fare, that is why I said in Ireland you can still get an Uber but an Uber taxi will ( should be ) using the meter and only Uber Black can work a price without a meter, there is still a concern, which has been raised with the NTA, that Uber Black don't actually agree a fare in advance but are instead giving a rate, which most believe is not in the spirit of having a quoted fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭trellheim

I do have a card reader, however it only works when I have an internet connection which given the state of mobile infrastructure in Ireland isn't a given that it will work in parts of the country.

Slightly off-topic but if I get into a taxi "do you take cards" ..yep hop in ... and the reader won't connect at the other end I'm not sure I'd look kindly at having to provide cash at the other end . Does the carriage office provide any guidance on that ?

Slightly off-topic but if I get into a taxi "do you take cards" ..yep hop in ... and the reader won't connect at the other end I'm not sure I'd look kindly at having to provide cash at the other end . Does the carriage office provide any guidance on that ?

Nope, as usual government departments are forbidden to actually think "real" world scenarios.

The sum up machine I have(the only machine available in Ireland,I think) routinely refuses to connect via Bluetooth to my smartphone.
    However,you are still responsible for the fare,so I would drive you to the nearest ATM,at my expense to get the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The driver told me he wanted another €60 but told the guard he wanted another €100.

I don’t understand it.

It wasn’t a hackney it was a taxi at a rank. He was the third one I went to as the first few drivers didn’t want to travel that far.

The only reason the guard got in touch with me was because I went into get passport signed and recognized the name. He rings and says “I’ve been looking for you for 6 months”, like I murdered someone.

It’s a sad state of affairs if it takes the police of this country 6 months to look for a private citizen, no wonder we are a laughingstock.

I suppose it depends on the full circumstances, for arguments sake if you had said Old Town and didn't specify Oldtown in Dublin or Old Town in Roscommon who would be at fault?

Just out of interest, where was the fare from and to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They did publish a guide on Payment Solutions some time back.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Guide_Taxi_Credit_Card_Payment_Info_Booklet_NTA.pdf

A common sense view would suggest that a problem with the reader is the driver's problem to solve. If they can't solve it on the spot, I guess they'd need to trust the passenger and come back later. It may or may not suit the passenger to go to an ATM at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Your strong suspicion is way off id imagine. Prob a young Garda unsure and covering their arse ffs
    Yes, it's outrageous to suggest that there's any type of dodgy behaviour by the police in this country.

Outrageous I tell you.

They did publish a guide on Payment Solutions some time back.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Guide_Taxi_Credit_Card_Payment_Info_Booklet_NTA.pdf

A common sense view would suggest that a problem with the reader is the driver's problem to solve. If they can't solve it on the spot, I guess they'd need to trust the passenger and come back later. It may or may not suit the passenger to go to an ATM at the time.

Bluetooth not connecting, yeah drivers problem, because a reboot usually clears the problem, but what if the customer lives in Bally Go Backwards and mobile internet is spotty to say the least, or what about Eir and others recent outages, drivers likely not going to know until first time they try to take a payment

https://www.thejournal.ie/eir-mobile-outage-4232247-Sep2018/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/eir-working-to-resolve-widespread-broadband-outage-875620.html

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3040284/virgin-media-broadband-phone-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Bluetooth not connecting, yeah drivers problem, because a reboot usually clears the problem, but what if the customer lives in Bally Go Backwards and mobile internet is spotty to say the least, or what about Eir and others recent outages, drivers likely not going to know until first time they try to take a payment

https://www.thejournal.ie/eir-mobile-outage-4232247-Sep2018/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/eir-working-to-resolve-widespread-broadband-outage-875620.html

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3040284/virgin-media-broadband-phone-ireland/
    Your equipment is your problem. If you claim to be able to accept credit card payments, and you're not able to accept credit card payments, it's your problem.

What do you expect - that your passenger needs to put their life on hold to make up for your equipment failure?

Your equipment is your problem. If you claim to be able to accept credit card payments, and you're not able to accept credit card payments, it's your problem.

What do you expect - that your passenger needs to put their life on hold to make up for your equipment failure?

So therefore the answer ( because of the lack of mobile broad band coverage, which is beyond the control of the driver ) is NOT to take credit cards but instead insist on cash.

It doesn't need to be the sticks to lose signal.I regularly can't get a signal at terminal 1 departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So therefore the answer ( because of the lack of mobile broad band coverage, which is beyond the control of the driver ) is NOT to take credit cards but instead insist on cash.
    I usually check before getting into the car if they accept debit. If they say they do, grand, as I've no cash on me at the time. If there's no signal, it's not really my fault that they're using the cheapest carrier (I'm looking at you, Tesco Mobile).
    I suppose it depends on the full circumstances, for arguments sake if you had said Old Town and didn't specify Oldtown in Dublin or Old Town in Roscommon who would be at fault?
    Most drivers check. Heck, if I say my estate, they ask which village (the same estate name is in two neighbouring villages). Have caught the ones who don't, though, and have them drop me off close to my estate (if in a group).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Turning the metre off smacks of a cash job. The taxi driver seems to be pushing his luck.

But, the story could be just that - a story. More than likely that, imo.

Advertisement