Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti's having a field day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Nossir, they don't think that. The general public has never heard of them, and the shooting fraternity and at least 50 Members of Parliament, think that the proposed new strictures are not only a waste of time, but are further impositions on whatever liberty is left.

Making laws to further restrict the law-abiding legal owners of this kind of sporting firearm does nothing stay the ever-growing numbers of young black men killing and maiming other young black men with KNIVES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

gunny123 wrote: »

Sounds like their version of that tw*t Paul Murphy - my only point of disagreement with the gun lad was his views on having a local strip club:pac:;)

Birdnuts wrote: »

Sounds like their version of that tw*t Paul Murphy
    True, no shortage of lunatics in ireland, we have more than our fair share, even more when you consider the thousands who vote for them.

Don't overlook the sheer front of Mr Johnson MSP. Being a Scot, operating in Scotland, he's obviously playing on the 'legacy' of the appalling Dunblane mass shooting back in '96.

I've already made my comment, based on the response given by a fellow Scot on airgunbba.com

His callous disregard for facts, and his cynical implication that any gun store set up near a school is going to encourage another similar event to occur, is both callous and calculating.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

So which is it are Grouse Moors "unnatural and only look that way due to human intervention" or are they "an amazing natural resource".
    Its enough to make your head sick, sure if it wasn't this he is banging on about it'll be some other sh1te.
    But it seems public demand has prompted this call to arms. I'd be surprised if even half of them know what a Grouse looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

solarwinds wrote: »
    . I'd be surprised if even half of them know what a Grouse looks like.

Comes on a bottle doesn't it??

Looks like the proposed .50bmg ban in the UK is gone. The government have decided not to bother with it, so a bit of a victory even though nothing has changed :D.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/23/plans-ban-military-grade-rifles-dropped-government-climbdown/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nothing about the MARS rifles tho.:(.Which could be very bad news for disabled shooters over there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nothing about the MARS rifles tho.:(.Which could be very bad news for disabled shooters over there.

Wasn't it all part of the same bill ? Plus if they are worried about the dup kicking off, i would imagine the mars would be safe too.

A good pal of mine, who has MS, shoots a couple of MARS-style rifles and carbines. He's getting as much shooting of all kinds in before he gets to the stage where he can't do it any more. Then he's off to Switzerland....

Meanwhile, we have yet to see any great spurt in the use of .50cal rifles in crime hereabouts. Not too easy on the pocket of the hoodie, that 40 pound, six-foot long iron monster, eh? Or MARS or ANY kind of straight-pull rifle or carbine - not one of which has ever been used in the commission of crime since they were invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

gunny123 wrote:
    NURSE, NURSE, HE'S OUT OF BED AGAIN............

And you point here is what exactly? Chris Packham is yes a conservationist but so what? I love my sport of hunting/shooting but grouse shooting in Scotland is a yuppy joke . Not hunting in my eyes... paid Muppets driving reared grouse for toffs to shoot! Gimme wild pigeon any day. And the fact they slaughter eagles and hen harriers amongst other raptors for that ****e is a disgrace. And it goes all the way to the royal family! Should our sport impact natural wildlife? I don't think so

cd07 wrote: »
    And you point here is what exactly? Chris Packham is yes a conservationist but so what? I love my sport of hunting/shooting but grouse shooting in Scotland is a yuppy joke . Not hunting in my eyes... paid Muppets driving reared grouse for toffs to shoot! Gimme wild pigeon any day. And the fact they slaughter eagles and hen harriers amongst other raptors for that ****e is a disgrace. And it goes all the way to the royal family! Should our sport impact natural wildlife? I don't think so

It is illegal to shoot any bird of pray, it is a serious criminal offence in the UK as it is here.

gunny123 wrote:
    It is illegal to shoot any bird of pray, it is a serious criminal offence in the UK as it is here.

Yes but why the post? Is there an issue with Chris Packham and conservation? I believe in nature taking course... we hunt now because I believe we've taken away much of natural predation and there are influxes in non native birds/animals .As we all know already it is illegal to kill raptors but still it goes on....its an argument on deaf ears as far I'm concerned

Yes but why the post? Is there an issue with Chris Packham and conservation? I believe in nature taking course... we hunt now because I believe we've taken away much of natural predation and there are influxes in non native birds/animals .As we all know already it is illegal to kill raptors but still it goes on....its an argument on deaf ears as far I'm concerned

Why not the post ? If the mods had an issue with it they would have removed it. Do you want everybody to run what they post past you first in case you are offended ?

I really don't care, report the post and link to cass, i am sure he will remove it.

And you point here is what exactly? Chris Packham is yes a conservationist but so what? I love my sport of hunting/shooting but grouse shooting in Scotland is a yuppy joke . Not hunting in my eyes... paid Muppets driving reared grouse for toffs to shoot! Gimme wild pigeon any day. And the fact they slaughter eagles and hen harriers amongst other raptors for that ****e is a disgrace. And it goes all the way to the
    royal family!
    Should our sport impact natural wildlife? I don't think so

Is there a very good view off that high horse there?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

A better news story, amazingly from the bbc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-46235155

There was a programme a couple of years back on the Scottish Gaelic channel that followed three young ladies learning to be gamekeepers in the pursuit of their goal.

Anybody here remember it?

tac foley wrote: »
    There was a programme a couple of years back on the Scottish Gaelic channel that followed three young ladies learning to be gamekeepers in the pursuit of their goal.

Anybody here remember it?

I don't Tac, but i remember "The Gamekeeper" series which followed gamekeeper Charlie Pirie on a huge estate in Blair Atholl in Scotland. A good programme, factual and well researched, they even did a book, which i have i think. That was about 20 years ago before televison went so PC.

• Advertisement

That's a pity...it was a fascinating look into the methodology employed teaching three young ladies the skill-set and mind-set needed to be a ghillie. Sure, they were Gaelic-speaking already, but there were precious few words in the English to hang on to. Well-worth trying to find and watch. For those of us whose Western Isles Gaelic is a tad rusty, there WERE sub-titles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A better news story, amazingly from the bbc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-46235155

Love her philosophy on the job - industry could do with more of her type operating on the ground.

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    Is there a very good view off that high horse there?

What high horse would that be?? I'm only stating facts that driven grouse moors are notorious for raptor persecution. Like it or not raptors are protected despite what anyone's views are on them.

If Cass or the other mods have any issues with my posts they can take whatever action suits I'm purely just stating known facts and laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Anyone else see this rubbish ? An American woman shot a goat in Scotland and there is endless whinging from the anti's over it.

Did she shoot wild goat or a farmers sheep.

Eat her way I think local people should sort it as they know what is needed.

What high horse would that be?? I'm only stating facts that driven grouse moors are notorious for raptor persecution. Like it or not raptors are protected despite what anyone's views are on them.

First off, red grouse cant be raised in captivity like pheasants, as their diet is mostly insect based. Hence they need well-maintained moor with fresh heather every year, which needs to be burnt off in different areas to encourage growth.

PAID FOR by the people you refer as "Toffs, and Yuppies",and done by the "paid Muppetts" in keeping moors and driving the birds If you didnt have those people paying large amounts of cash to keep their sport going,you wouldn't even have your birds of prey, as they wouldn't even have anything to prey on.No grouse,no raptors.

Second ,who the hell are you to refer to fellow sportsmen in such terms??:mad: I'd expect such from the anti squad,not from gunowners these days. We are all in the same boat wheather we realise it or not.Whatever we shoot or disipline we follow.Just because you shoot piegons,and consider your self lucky that you can still do this for free for the time being,doesnt give you the right to look up your nose at others who pay for their sport. This is the kins of BS that wracks the shooting community and makes us our own work enemies.Looking up or down our noses at each other.:mad:

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    PAID FOR by the people you refer as "Toffs, and Yuppies",and done by the "paid Muppetts" in keeping moors and driving the birds If you didnt have those people paying large amounts of cash to keep their sport going,you wouldn't even have your birds of prey, as they wouldn't even have anything to prey on.No grouse,no raptors.

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    Second ,who the hell are you to refer to fellow sportsmen in such terms?? I'd expect such from the anti squad,not from gunowners these days. We are all in the same boat wheather we realise it or not.Whatever we shoot or disipline we follow.Just because you shoot piegons,and consider your self lucky that you can still do this for free for the time being,doesnt give you the right to look up your nose at others who pay for their sport. This is the kins of BS that wracks the shooting community and makes us our own work enemies.Looking up or down our noses at each other.

Right we'll leave it at that then. All I was saying is its a known fact that grouse moors in England and Scotland are known hotspots for raptor persecution which is illegal. And you don't need to explain anything to me about red grouse and their needs I'm well aware of their ecology

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone else see this rubbish ? An American woman shot a goat in Scotland and there is endless whinging from the anti's over it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45967845

Also this rubbish, a new gunshop opening close to a school "Wildly inappropriate", according to the local leftie MSP.

"It seems wildly inappropriate to have a firearms business in this area, and I worry this promotes the normalisation of shooting for sport in an area which is regularly passed by children"

Read more at: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/morningside-gun-shop-wildly-inappropriate-so-close-to-primary-school-says-msp-1-4818909

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/morningside-gun-shop-wildly-inappropriate-so-close-to-primary-school-says-msp-1-4818909
    The story continues...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6526885/US-hunter-boasted-gunning-animals-trip-Scottish-island-faces-criminal-charges.html

Uh huh...So what are the Scottish Polis and Procurator Fiscal going to do?Demand extradition warranties from the USA of two US citizens for the crime of hunting goats in a legal hunt in Scotland?And what firearms offences?After the guns were inspected by the police& customs in the UK.
    No ,this is appeasing "muh feelings"of some butthurt antis who think they have some case for charging her with abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Antis are as bad as antivaccine scum :

someone did a study :

https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/pan3.5

then you get this out of them :

https://bit.ly/2CwbplI

£50K ‘study’ reveals the bleedin’ obvious: grouse shooters & conservationists disagree on hen harrier brood meddling

raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.c*m/2018/12/19/50k-study-reveals-the-bleedin-obvious-grouse-shooters-conservationists-disagree-on-hen-harrier-brood-meddling/

Remember back in November 2016 when a series of FoI requests revealed that Natural England was prepared to waste £50K of tax payers money on a social science ‘study’ to assess attitudes towards the Hen Harrier Action Plan? See here for info.

The proposed ‘study’ was put forward by Prof Steve Redpath (Aberdeen Uni / Hawk & Owl Trust trustee / a so-called ‘independent academic’ (ha!) on the hen harrier brood meddling working group) and Dr Freya St John, an academic who at the time worked at Kent University but has since moved to Bangor University. Here is a copy of the proposal, which was also released as part of the FoI requests and here is the proposed budget:

One year later, in December 2017, we blogged about the research questionnaire that had been sent out to various organisations in the grouse shooting industry and conservation community (see here) as part of this £50k ‘study’.

Well the research results have just been published and guess what? Trust in Natural England is “limited” and individuals from the grouse shooting community disagree with individuals from the conservation community about hen harrier brood meddling. Gosh, who knew, eh?

The paper has just been published in a new journal called People and Nature, one of several journals of the British Ecological Society:

St John, F., Steadman, J., Austen, G. and Redpath, S.M. (2018). Value diversity and conservation conflict: Lessons from the management of red grouse and hen harriers in England. People and Nature (published online, 17 December 2018).

This is an open access paper (which means anyone can read it in full without having to subscribe to the journal) but unfortunately the link to the online paper isn’t working so we haven’t been able to read it, only the abstract. We’ve emailed the lead author to ask for a copy but received an out of office response – away until 21 January 2019.

[UPDATE 4pm: Thanks to one of our blog readers who has found a copy of the full paper online – here]

What a monumental waste of our money. Natural England could have saved £50k by simply looking at the speed with which Mark Avery crowdfunded £25k to support his legal challenge against Natural England’s absurd brood meddling trial – over 900 people donated this amount within just 4.5 days! Or by looking at the ruthless efficiency with which grouse moor managers are killing young satellite-tagged hen harriers every single bloody year. The attitudes are clear enough. Instead of chucking £50k of our money at this nonsense ‘study’, Natural England could have /should have used these public funds more wisely and put them towards an effective enforcement policy to bring to justice those criminals who continue to illegally kill hen harriers.

Knowing that there’s a difference of opinion on hen harriers between the grouse shooting and conservationists is totally irrelevant to the conservation of the hen harrier; it’s illegal persecution on driven grouse moors that threatens this species’ conservation status, nothing else. We don’t need dialogue, conflict management, relationship building, shared solutions, brood meddling or anything else, just effective enforcement of the law. It’s pretty simple, or it would be if we had a government without vested interests that was prepared to do what the vast majority of its electorate expect it to do and operate a zero tolerance policy on organised crime.

Advertisement