Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti's having a field day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’ve no bother with anyone shooting a goat once they use the meat.if they were left feral unchecked they would be everywhere.even if it was for feeding dogs at least they wouldn’t be wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

gunny123 wrote: »
    Anyone else see this rubbish ? An American woman shot a goat in Scotland and there is endless whinging from the anti's over it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45967845

Also this rubbish, a new gunshop opening close to a school "Wildly inappropriate", according to the local leftie MSP.

"It seems wildly inappropriate to have a firearms business in this area, and I worry this promotes the normalisation of shooting for sport in an area which is regularly passed by children"

Read more at: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/morningside-gun-shop-wildly-inappropriate-so-close-to-primary-school-says-msp-1-4818909

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/morningside-gun-shop-wildly-inappropriate-so-close-to-primary-school-says-msp-1-4818909

So the Johnson character has a problem with children or young adults learning field crafts, first aid and all the other skills we must learn to enjoy outdoor pursuits?? Is that what he's saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well sit not idly by. Send them a Twatter or FB comment or good old-fashioned quill to paper :) letter and let them know your opinion. The war against hunting and gun ownership is now EU and Global-wide and we are ALL in the trenches these days.:) "Dignified silences" and all that hs got us SFA sofar.The consensus is now to be abit more blunt in defence of our sport and lifestyle choices. In the age of "equality and diversity" any other group getting the abuse we put up with would be attacked and villified non stop in the MSM.So wht do we put up with it ourselves.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well sit not idly by. Send them a Twatter or FB comment or good old-fashioned quill to paper :) letter and let them know your opinion. The war against hunting and gun ownership is now EU and Global-wide and we are ALL in the trenches these days.:) "Dignified silences" and all that hs got us SFA sofar.The consensus is now to be abit more blunt in defence of our sport and lifestyle choices. In the age of "equality and diversity" any other group getting the abuse we put up with would be attacked and villified non stop in the MSM.So wht do we put up with it ourselves.

Yeah, but we are the wrong kind of minority :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm going to quote a post from airgunbbs.com here, that I bleeve sums up the ethos of shooting - '

Rich
    Rich is online now Holder of nine NSRA gold medals

Target shooting as a sport is almost unique, in the way that it fosters life skills such as self-discipline, control, resilience and resolve. It is one of very few sports where whatever your opponent does cannot affect how well you do. You cannot be overwhelmed by strength or weight, you cannot be tackled to the floor, and you cannot be kept on your seat and out of action such as in snooker. How well you score is down solely to you. That in itself is a sobering lesson.

It's a shame that a lot more young men - and young women - don't grow up with the benefit of such experience. And it's a shame that the protesters and lobbyists have such closed minds that they are blind to these things.

As a sporting nation, Scotland punches way over its weight when it comes to shooting. Air pistol and air rifle, as well as prone .22cal - all have or have had Scottish champions over the years. The clown needs to take a look at Scottish sporting history to see what a total dwong he has made of himself with his inane comment.

Yeah, but we are the wrong kind of minority :rolleyes:

So were gay folk until the Stonewall riots happened in the 1970s. Its time we came out of the cupboard so to speak and attack anyone who attacks us.We have been playing quiet and dignified for too long.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

You get wild goats that aren't feral domestics, that are sometime protected by law. But it seems like the one's yer women shot are perfectly legal to shoot.

Eejits not knowing what is or isn't illegal to shoot don't do anyone favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The only problem I have with her and her husband is that they shot a Blackface ram.
    Because it had a "nice curl" to its horns.
    If they shot one of my rams ( and right before the breeding season, as well) by jove, they would be sorry.
    If you can't tell the difference between a feral goat and farmers sheep, they shouldn't be shooting.
    The guy who sponsored them to come shooting needs to be put straight too.

Now perhaps he is employed by an estate to manage the shooting side of the business, and perhaps the sheep flock also belongs to the estate, but you don't "stalk" a farm animal and then post selfies on social media about your prowess.

If you rattled a bucket of sheep nuts, the ram would have climbed into the jeep with you, no need for a full camo suit and a high end rifle.

https://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/news/17006740.bad-sport-on-islay/

They were wealthy americans, apparently offering mucho money to shoot "exotic" breeds. A cute scotsman seen the opportunity to make a handy few bob, in his pocket tax free, and let them on. Thats the rumour anyway.

It was the anti's having a meltdown that caused the scene.

• Advertisement

Errr..we DO all realise that there are some chancers here in Ireland offering "guided hunting tours " to shoot rare "Irish Ibex" goats down in the SE part of our island too?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'll probably be unpopular here but I'll fire away.

I'm a non shoooter (shot a few clays once and enjoyed it) but I have nothing against anyone owning a gun for target shooting or even hunting once it's for pest control or eating and not just going off and blowing away everything they see.

But if you really want people like me to see your side you should lay off on the angry rhetoric like "lefties" or "going to war" - two phrases that have been used in this first page alone. Nothing scares a non shooter more than guys with guns coming out with stuff like that towards people that they perceive as some kind of enemy or threat.

Errr..we DO all realise that there are some chancers here in Ireland offering "guided hunting tours " to shoot rare "Irish Ibex" goats down in the SE part of our island too?;)

There ya go, never let a few bob pass you by.

Collie D wrote: »
    I'll probably be unpopular here but I'll fire away.

I'm a non shoooter (shot a few clays once and enjoyed it) but I have nothing against anyone owning a gun for target shooting or even hunting once it's for pest control or eating and not just going off and blowing away everything they see.

No one goes out to "blow away" everything they see. I have heard that crap before by people who have no experience of shooting or stalking. The daft notion, that someone going out after deer, will flatten any rabbit, hare, fox, sheep, goat or passing cyclist is vexing and false. The laws on firearms ownership, hunting etc are very tough, and no one wants to see them tightened further, which is why, in fairness, we are self policing and anyone messing around gets very little sympathy when caught.

There was a thread here recently about a guy who was shooting deer by the dozen, for sale. He was caught and he was roundly condemned on here and rightly so.

No one goes out to "blow away" everything they see. I have heard that crap before by people who have no experience of shooting or stalking. The daft notion, that someone going out after deer, will flatten any rabbit, hare, fox, sheep, goat or passing cyclist is vexing and false. The laws on firearms ownership, hunting etc are very tough, and no one wants to see them tightened further, which is why, in fairness, we are self policing and anyone messing around gets very little sympathy when caught.

There was a thread here recently about a guy who was shooting deer by the dozen, for sale. He was caught and he was roundly condemned on here and rightly so.

I didn't say anyone was blowing everything away. I said I've no issue with hunting once that doesn't happen.

But this is what I referred to in my first post. You've instantly gone on the defensive as if I've attacked you. That's not how you're going to have firearms restrictions loosened.

I didn't say anyone was blowing everything away. I said I've no issue with hunting once that doesn't happen.

But this is what I referred to in my first post. You've instantly gone on the defensive as if I've attached you. That's not how you're going to have firearms restrictions loosened.

I get an email everytime a response is added to a thread i have commented on, as i was online anyway i went to see what was added. Gone on the defensive ? Correct, most people in Ireland and most of europe with firearms are like that, as we have people who want to remove our firearms and sports even though we have done nothing wrong, just because someone has gone on the rampage in the USA or a terrorist has shot a group of people.

We lost our centrefire pistols because of one eejit posting silly videos on youtube. After being vetted, interviewed, having my house inspected twice by gardai, and turning it into fort Knox, my sunday morning sport was removed for no other reason than the minister personally did not like firearms.

I'm just chipping in my two cent that the us vs them posts and phrases like "antis", "leftie" this and that and "going to war" (not your post I know) aren't going to help you win anyone over.

It just comes across as a bit NRAish and surely you can see that's not a good thing.

The NRA! The NRA...The boogeyman of the uninitiated and the scapegoat of the "look at America and the crazy gun nuts !" :rolleyes:

Let's start with a few simple reality checks shall we?;)
    Comparing the USA with 320 million citizens and now well North of 450 million known firearms,with a constitutional right to keep and bear arms,to a country of about 4 million and +/- 250, 000 firearms that are licensed to what 90,000 of us is an utter incompatibility in comparisons.In fact, comparing the US on gun ownership to maybe, Yemen, who own more guns per head per capita than the Americans is a non-starter.If you want realistic comparisons, pick any EU country and compare it to Ireland.

Actually, the NRA is considered a pretty soft organisation on gun rights in the US these days and is reviled by some as a sell out operation. Compared to groups like "no compromise" Gunowners of America or Jews For the Preservation of Firearms Ownership,then you are talking hardcore "gun lobby".Only reason the MSM uses the NRA,is simply its just the handiest one to throw muck at.

We are getting kind of tired with "dignified silences" and "Very softly let's not offend the GP "kind of approaches. It has got us and our closest neighbours in the UK and the EU SFA in the last 35 years in public sympathy and nothing but further restrictions and bans on our sports, and damn little in the reduction in gun crime or "public safety".
    So forgive us if we are getting a bit blunt and somewhat bolshie in tone in these days of "openness, diversity and tolerance of all" As it seems we are the excluded and pariahs because of our lifestyle choices and ownership of inanimate objects which we have to jump thru enough legal and personal hoops to own here in the EU.

I and no one else who hunts or shoots should have to make NO apologies for our choices or be subjected to utterly vile abuse,bullying in the workplace Swatting or Doxing online or death threats to us or our families by keyboard cowards or no talent, no intellect, little big people who are are media or Hollywoo celebs.

Were it any ethnic or religious group being attacked or scapegoated the way gun owners are, there would be celebs and do-gooders lining up to be professionally offended and to fight for us.
    So too bad if it sounds "offensive" or "NRAish",We are coming out of the closet and are saying we are proud gun owners and hunters and too bad if Gen Snowflake and the perpetually offended and outraged can't handle it . We have just as much right to continue and practise a lawful lifestyle and pursuit as any others,if not more so.

Where did I say you weren't entitled to own a gun? All I'm saying is if you want to be taken seriously you might think about calming down the rhetoric a little instead of calling anyone snowflakes.

I'll step out to be honest. I'm just trying to start a discussion and it seems you can only come back and use words like Internet coward or snowflake.

I'm sure you're not representative of the majority of Irish gun owners but you're not doing yourself or them any favours with the language used on here. Sell yourselves a little.

Where did I say you weren't entitled to own a gun? All I'm saying is if you want to be taken seriously you might think about calming down the rhetoric a little instead of calling anyone snowflakes.

I'll step out to be honest. I'm just trying to start a discussion and it seems you can only come back and use words like Internet coward or snowflake.

I'm sure you're not representative of the majority of Irish gun owners but you're not doing yourself or them any favours with the language used on here. Sell yourselves a little.

Hi Collie and thanks for your input. in your opinion what would convince the genaral populace the gun ownership by legitimate and safe sportsmen and women is nothing to be feared? You've already said what wouldn't so theres no need to repeat that. You see the problem we have is no matter what anyone involved in our hobby does gets spun by the media into something negative and as mentioned in this thread and other's there are so many positive atributes to the hobby. On top of that as a living historian and collector I interact with the public quite a lot during the summer months. The shows I display at attract pretty large crowds and the weaponry on display is the main attraction so I don't think the populace in general are anti gun it's just a partisan media telling them that they should be.

• Advertisement

QED on not reading my reply properly and reading things into it not said, spinning your interpretation on it and cherry picking phrases and being immediately "offended".:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Compared to being called a "blood moron" and hoping my family is raped and gutted by someone because I am a hunter being called a snowflake,is pretty tame.So tell us how do we have a "rational discussion " or "sell ourselves"with people like that????:rolleyes:

QED on not reading my reply properly and reading things into it not said,and being immediately "offended".:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Compared to bein called a "blood moron" and hoping my family is raped and gutted by someone because I am a hunter being called a snowflake,is pretty tame.So tell us how do we have a "rational discussion " with people like that????:rolleyes:

He did the same with me, but what the hey.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/morningside-gun-shop-wildly-inappropriate-so-close-to-primary-school-says-msp-1-4818909

An update on this, the scottish Msp Daniel Johnson, has backed down, or slunk away from it anyway, after getting over 900 messages on his facebook page, in support of the gunshop, asking why he was objecting to a legitimate business.

And in Westminister,it looks like the offensive weapons bill is stalled out. So British 50 Cals and MARS rifles are still safe for awhile yet.No small thanks to the british shooters finally getting off their bums and lobbying hard on this.Shooters that is ,not their recognised organisations.

We rest our case!

The point was, rifles are used in less than 1% of crime in the uk. So why ban .50's and mars rifles, neither of which have ever been used in a crime ?

Handguns are used in 50% of gun crime, but are already banned, which proves the point that criminals do not care about breaking the law.

Safe to guess the majority of these gun crimes are drug related... drugs are already illegal but still they're getting into the country, illegal weapons getting in the same route. I just wish people would see a ban for what it is whether it's a gun ban or hoody ban or anything it's just an admission by legislators that they are unable to proberly legislate for this particular issue so instead of admitting their incompetance they make this strong stance to make it appear to johhny public that they are controlling the problem.
    This really goes to show you how terminology can influence the public at the bottom of the original article there was an online poll regarding an all out ban on firearms yes or no.. instead of ban firearms or sterner sentences for gun crime yes or no. People aren't anti gun, theyre anti gun crime in the same way they aren't anti drug really. they're anti drug crime.

• Advertisement

Discrimination still applies in the UK, if you are a disabled shooter that is.

Apparently, the MARS/Lever release are a big hit with disabled gun owners over there[as were semi-autos in the day].So now the UK govt wants to ban an awkward rifle that has never been used in a crime,is favoured by disabled people to keep it out of criminal hands??
    No wonder Monthy Python was written by the English,as they seem to accept this kind of thinking as utterly sane.

Advertisement