Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

You are not an impartial commentator. Never were, never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Your dismissal doesn't make things untrue, funnily enough.

Are you actually saying that brake pads and tyres don't wear on electric vehicles?

EVs use low rolling resistence tyres and regen in preference to apply brake pad on disc or drum. The brakes on my car will probably last the life of the car. The tyres I expect to last well beyond the duration of my lease

Funny how MNCs like Google have managed to recruit thousands of employees here with just a handful of parking spaces. Microsoft's new building has minimal parking too.

Free parking isn't free. Someone has to pay to provide space and manage the facility. So either the employer spreads the cost across ALL employees, including those who walk, cycle, bus, train, or else the motorists pay for their storage space.

Maybe you could explain why you think your fellow employees should subsidise the costs of storage for your private property?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

Are you avoiding the question?

Are you actually saying that brake pads and tyres don't wear on electric vehicles?

You seem to be saying that the wear less than on other vehicles, but they still wear, is that right?

Everyone has a bias, including you. Some are at the extreme ends and not open to adjusting their bias, including yourself

Glass houses and all that jazz

I've shown myself as open to alternate approaches more than most of the tinpot wannabe tinpot dictators round here who'd dead us back to something akin to a Pol Pot level of existence with a twist.

Just to be clear, is this the kind of thing you'd consider to be a Pol Pot level of existence?

Are you trying to force me in to agreeing with a flawed report? I expect the brakes in an Ev to last near enough the life of the car like the cogs in the simple transmission. As for the brakes, They're steel and an abrasive surface which hasn't contained carcinogens in decades.

As for the tyres the claims made in the reports which are circulating and anyone who runs a car and can read a tape measure would know that tyres don't wear at the rates claimed. I fully expect to be returning my car after 4 year lease on the same set of tyres it left the factory with. The average eco fascist laps up reports such as those like catnip and papers/media need to fill column inches.

• Advertisement

Your research amount to twitter posts.

Everything in life wears if used including the soles of your shoes and my patience with prolific posters who appear to have nothing to do in their lives except argue against plain truths. Now excuse me but I am going to collect a secondhand washing machine in my EV which I couldn't possibly carry on a bike or a bus and I won't feel even the slightest twinge of shame.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Now excuse me but I am going to collect a secondhand washing machine in my EV which I couldn't possibly carry on a bike or a bus and I won't feel even the slightest twinge of shame.

Again, you are deliberately misinterpreting what people are proposing which is to reduce the number of unnecessary car journeys and replace them with sustainable alternatives.

If you wish to drive everywhere then fine but as a driver don't expect to be given priority within cities. Plus, I assume that you will be picking it up from an out-of-town shopping centre. It is these which have damaged town and city centre retail heaviest despite you moaning about the possibility of parking space charges doing so.

As for being unable to bring a washing machine on a bike, I challenge your claim (first of many examples from a simple google search)...

Secondhand washing machine of a very specif width and depth 40km away. Good luck bringing that on a cargo bike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No one is saying every journey should be done by bike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Does anyone even remember what this argument was about?

Not su4e, think it's got something to do with the Vatican, sunny beaches and a washing machine.

Actually sounds like a good plot for the next Hangover movie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I reminded of that woeful IT article about BusConnects were a blind man went from one change of bus to "a 6 journey nightmare" (very carefully framed to make 1 change to 2 sound so bad) only for people to point out he in fact would have a new direct bus route. The "journalist" then said the article was still correct as the man had a specific but undisclosed need to go via the city centre.

Using edge cases to argue for the status quo is a time honoured and completely disingenuous tactic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we get back on topic.

Just for those who lost the will to live: Global Cities reducing car access.

My understanding of that topic is that cities that introduce measures to restrict the access of cars into the city by whatever measure is on topic. However, posters who are obsessed with any restriction on themselves and feel the need to pronounce any attempt to curtail their ability to access the city by car must be attacked at any level they can muster, including ad-hominem posts.

Off topic posts will be deleted, and sanctions may follow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You forgot to mention that the stop for the direct route was actually closer to his house than the stop he was using.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hahaha you must be having us on. Do you think such a specific and ridiculous example is actually convincing anyone? Paris transformed into a cycling city overnight, a thriving modern city of millions, it brought only positives. You'll need to go elsewhere for some evidence the sky will fall in if irish cities follow that path, as you havn't gone any way to providing an actual argument yet that would make sense why it wouldn't work here, as it has all over Europe.

Post edited by bb1234567 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know the specific example - a secondhand washing machine - avoids the usual trap those examples fall into; usually it's along the lines of 'how am i meant to get my 50" telly home from arnott's' when people forget large items like that are usually held in warehouses outside the city, and not in the shop itself (near the airport in the case of arnotts)

France to force car manufacturers to include slogans on PT, walking and cycling options in all car ads from March

anyway, worth mentioning that my wife - a nervous cyclist - got an e-bike a few months back, and it has had a wonderful effect on her attitude to cycling; it's having the confidence pushing off or accelerating which is a large part of it. say you're coming out of a side road and swinging onto a main road, having the knowledge that you can do it swiftly and confidently makes a big difference. also when cycling along the road and there are cars parked in the road, she's much less hesitant about taking her needed space in the lane so it's less stop-starty.

we cycled out to howth last weekend (along the clontarf cycle path) and absolutely loved it. i loved having the shelter behind her from the 40km/h headwinds on the way home...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So someone who spends a couple of grand on a bicycle cant be trusted because they're obviously inherently biased but someone who spends 10X or 20X that on a car isnt? How does that work?

I'm having a hard time buying in to the collective Psychosis here in Infrastructure sub-forum on a day when I am kicking the snow from the soles of my feet yet bikes are supposed to be a cure for our ills even though dedicating space to them at the expense of other forms of transport means that those other forms of transport can't take over on days when bikes just don't get the job done. Awaiting response claiming anything above -10 degrees then happy out.

dedicating space to them at the expense of other forms of transport

The only mode that will be losing space and access is the private car and even then there will still be access and space for them. It's only in a few locations that access/space will be fully eliminated.

Are you under the impression that there will be no lanes for private cars or something? Do you not realise that in most cases there will be damn all change for private cars.

To give you an example from Galway city, Seamus Quirke Road underwent significant works. It changed it from a 2 lane road, with paths on both sides (that was all) to a 2 lane road + bus lanes + segregated bike lanes + multiple sets of crossing points all along the route.

• Advertisement

Isn't strand Rd scheduled for closure to through traffic as part of Dart upgrades once those are done?

I don't have the details but I recall something like that mentioned previously. Maybe I'm getting my roads mixed up though

Advertisement