Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Regardless of whether it's vandalism or not, it's illegal. The Garda have the power to enforce the law here. Their refusal to do so, with the vast majority of road laws, is why this country is filled with utterly selfish drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

Akesh wrote: »
    It's not vandalism unless you think people park on footpaths in order to damage them. Plenty of cars have to park on footpaths because the road is too narrow and parking on the road would block other traffic from passing the owner is too lazy/selfish/entitled to find an appropriate place to park without obstructing others. Obviously, it shouldn't happen but to describe it as vandalism is pure hyperbole.

Fixed your post

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's not vandalism unless you think people park on footpaths in order to damage them. Plenty of cars have to park on footpaths because the road is too narrow and parking on the road would block other traffic from passing. Obviously, it shouldn't happen but to describe it as vandalism is pure hyperbole.
    They "have to park on footpaths"?
    Maybe you could give an example where they have to do so and why they could no park elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They have to park on the footpath because if they park further away, the footpath to where they're going is blocked by cars parking on it!

;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Plenty of cars have to park on footpaths
    we're still a ways off autonomous vehicles, to be fair.

• Advertisement

Some very childish responses in here. If you want to believe that there aren't valid reasons for parking on a footpath then work away. People have mobility issues, are on-call, have children etc. I'm not suggesting it's right but in some cases it is a necessity due to lack of nearby parking facilities.

I’m not going to argue with your general point because I can’t be arsed (I do disagree though) but specifically, it’s bull**** in this case because there is no lack of nearby parking facilities. There is, as has been pointed out, a space on the road, on the opposite side, which isn’t a parking space but wouldn’t block the flow of traffic or pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Some very childish responses in here. If you want to believe that there aren't valid reasons for parking on a footpath then work away. People have mobility issues, are on-call, have children etc. I'm not suggesting it's right but in some cases it is a necessity due to lack of nearby parking facilities.

Childish? You claimed cars have to park on footpaths.

Having a look at your own posts would be a good idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

People have mobility issues
    the very same cohort who often are most inconvenienced by footpath parking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

the very same cohort who often are most inconvenienced by footpath parking.

People with reduced mobility once again being used to justify able bodied people undermining the safety of people with reduced mobility. You see it time and again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was in town for a dental appointment today but happened upon this scene, a huge Range Rover parked right up on the new widened footpath, while 2 useless Gardai walk right by, I don't think they even glanced at it, but had just made 2 girls sitting on the ground drinking coffee get up and move on.

ranger.jpg

I don't think the driver of this Range Rover has any disability that would qualify him/her to a blue badge. It should have received a ticket from he two Gardai shown in the picture. If the driver was in fact mobility impaired, he could claim that and I would imagine any penalty would be quashed.

Otherwise, in future, it might be parked with more consideration for pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Cork pedestrianizing 17 streets, great to see a council that's responsive.

Will Cork have more pedestrianised streets than Dublin afterwards?

CatInABox wrote: »
    Cork pedestrianizing 17 streets, great to see a council that's responsive.

Will Cork have more pedestrianised streets than Dublin afterwards?

As a percentage of streets, absolutely. Possibly even in absolute distance numbers too.

MJohnston wrote: »
    As a percentage of streets, absolutely. Possibly even in absolute distance numbers too.

Yep. Dublin has around 32 pedestrianised streets so it would be very close depending on how many Cork started with before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would be great to see, but Cork CC currently is incapable of implementing an evening peak only bus lane so will be interesting to see how this goes. Cork also remains the last significant urban area in Ireland that hasn't detrunked the national roads going through it's centre. Not sure why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How can they do this in Cork? Will there not be uproar from the usual factions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is nearly 40 years since Grafton St was pedestrianised - Dec 1982.

No one would go back to the traffic again, so why not more pedestrianised streets?

Mannix Flynn would

Mannix Flynn would

Well there is always one.

How can they do this in Cork? Will there not be uproar from the usual factions?

I'd say pedestrianisation is on the lower end of potential uproar. Most people recognise it as a good thing nowadays.

I'm not sure about that, many businesses seem to freak out. There were business associates against Malahide pedestrianisation groups etc set up last summer. Businesses in Fairview are moaning about the bike lanes and footpath rearrangements being built there, because car park spaces will be lost and they'll lose business.
    Excuse my cynicism I just don't have a lot of faith in these schemes in Ireland, mind probably poisoned from Dublin Live comments etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fairview is an absolute mess though. It needs a complete re-working.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Peregrine wrote: »
    Yep. Dublin has around 32 pedestrianised streets so it would be very close depending on how many Cork started with before this.

Does it?? Where are they all??

wakka12 wrote: »
    Does it?? Where are they all??

I’d imagine most are in Temple Bar

Only around a third of them are in Temple Bar.

Anglesea Street
    Anne Street South
    Back Lane
    Castle Market
    Chatham Street
    Clarendon Market
    Coppinger Row
    Crampton Court
    Crow Street
    Crown Alley
    Cuckoo Lane
    Dame Court
    Duke Lane Upper
    Duke Street
    Earl Street North
    Essex Street East
    Essex Street West
    Grafton Street
    Harry Street
    Henry Place
    Henry Street
    Lemon Street
    Liffey Street Upper
    Mary Street
    Moore Street
    Palace Street
    Smithfield
    Suffolk Street
    Temple Bar
    Temple Lane South
    Wicklow Street

The list isn't 100% accurate. There are places like Cecilia Street and Curved Street which could effectively be pedestrianised without signage but I haven't had the time to confirm them yet.

This will show you all the pedestrianised streets in Dublin that have been mapped on OpenStreetMap

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/15Vg

Zoom in/out and hit Run in the top left to get refreshed data

but...but... they're going to pedestrianise 6 metres of South William Street and formally pedestrianise some small streets that are effectively dead ends for cars anyway.

Naw seriously Dublin City Council is a write off. Flying the Palestinian flag, building white water rafting and fighting new housing developments in court is where they are at. Completely unsaveable institution.

Weren't they going to pedestrianise college green, build a new city library at Parnell Sq and build a liffey cycle route? all forgotten about after millions spent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Agree with you, DCC seems to be off the rails, and the councillors that we've elected are either incapable of bringing the organisation to book, or actively encourage this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cgcsb wrote: »
    but...but... they're going to pedestrianise 6 metres of South William Street and formally pedestrianise some small streets that are effectively dead ends for cars anyway.

Naw seriously Dublin City Council is a write off. Flying the Palestinian flag, building white water rafting and fighting new housing developments in court is where they are at. Completely unsaveable institution.

Weren't they going to pedestrianise college green, build a new city library at Parnell Sq and build a liffey cycle route? all forgotten about after millions spent.

College Green isn't forgotten about - but until BusConnect re-routes the large number of bus routes through the city centre, you can't do it.

You would have to send some of the buses on long diversions which frankly are not acceptable.

• Advertisement

Dublin has a series of interconnected projects that can't happen without eachother so nothing happens.

Advertisement