Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

New York introducing a congestion charge which will be used to fund investment and expansion of public transport (subway, buses and railroads)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The benefit of a traffic warden is they issue fines there and then and, if they use modern technology, could quite quickly cover a large area.

Clamping is expensive, and should be used as a backup to the traffic warden (basically on call). They could check unpaid fines as well as Motor Tax, insurance, NCT, etc. Problem with them is that they are hated by motorists (particularly those that dislike parking legally) and some of these can be aggressive and threatening - even violent. It is not a job I would take for any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Issue them with a taser. Make the fine a % of their income, issue a penalty point to their license

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yea, well .....

They sort it at the moment by having two big burly individuals in a big van and have them clamp vehicles. The clampers cost more than the fines, while I suspect the traffic warden would cost less, and would cover much more ground.

I would imagine there are areas of the city that would be a no-go area for them. They would not be popular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I know why they exist. But something about SUVs doesn't sit right with me.

I think they make a lot more sense in the states. Even in the cities where there is just more space for everything.

They have replaced saloons, hatchbacks and MPVs. Even if you didn't want one it might be the only thing available.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ford confirmed that they are moving to SUV type vehicles and won't really be making sedans any more.

The one and only reason they exist is because the manufacturers make more money from them than they do from sedans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nothing makes sense to me about driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer or some other 2,000kg+ blob on smooth tarmac roads between a suburban home, the local strip mall and job in an office when you factor in all that extra steel, aluminium and plastic that's needed compared to the likes of a Golf or Corolla.

EDIT: I jumped the gun, there's one thing that makes sense about it, fear that you're going to get T-boned by some dumbass in another SUV/truck.

• Advertisement

When they go up country at the weekend is a lot more rugged country than we have. Same with weather. If they get snow its serious stuff, not a light dusting we see. And it's not a couple of days either.

When they park this in town they don't have tiny spaces crammed into a postage stamp area like we do. We seem to build no room for expansion for anything. Tunnels, roads, parking, hospitals.

A replacement of CO2 based Motor Tax that relies on weight to some extent - perhaps mostly - might change attitudes towards the attraction of SUVs.

They provide much easier access for some people, and can take larger loads (for those rare times such a load needs moving), but fuel consumption is higher than a smaller, lighter vehicle. The fuel - be it electricity or petrol/diesel) - has to be paid for, either by the motorist or the environment.

Tax is always a way of directing peoples choices.

I think that's coming too drag more tax income from vehicles.

Well, they would find it very hard to apply excise tax on electricity for EVs, so they have to replace that source with another type of tax.

If they make 'heavy' an unattractive attribute, then vehicles will tend towards 'lighter' to save tax.

Incentivising 'Pay-as-you-drive' services would reduce the multi-car households to tend to go towards one-car households with the backup of an account with a local PAYD service to cover extra transport needs.

Things evolve as the world changes.

We are heavily down the route of over engineered solutions.

Make most cars heavier, then you need more engineering to deal with that weight in a collision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i understand another reason cars are getting higher is to accomodate the batteries in EVs - but how much space do the batteries and electric motor(s) in an EV take up compared to the engine, gearbox, and fuel tank in an ICE car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Work to start on Aston Quay earlier next year.

Will be interesting to see how this integrates with the plan to ban cars from Aston Quay by 2025. If only we could see some proposed layouts.

SUVs and crossovers were already tall before EVs. Engine and gearbox and gubbins is smaller. Battery bigger. Well depending on what size battery you buy. I don't thinks it's a huge difference. ID3 Vs Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The difference in necessary height between EV and ICE is trivial.. a couple of centimetres at most. EVs have batteries, but don't have transmission tunnels or exhaust pipes.

Height and footprint has increased to hide higher costs. Back in the early 2010s, manufacturers discounted their mainstrean "car" lines heavily just to keep their production volumes high enough to keep the lights on. The problem with this was that it trained customers to believe that cars should be cheap, and when it came time to update those models the makers found that couldn't recoup the cost of platform development if they concentrated on traditional body styles. It costs less than €1000 more to make a typical "SUV" car than a regular car of the same footprint, but because "car" prices were so depressed, the "SUV" can nowbe sold for up to €5000 more.

That's the reason why.

yeah, they were already tall but this now gives them an engineering excuse to justify that, from what i understand?

i've put my opinion on record on boards multiple times that it's excess height in vehicles i object to, more so than length, width or weight.

• Advertisement

Footprint and running mass are the big problems. Height isn't really an issue unless it increases mass..

mass is a problem for efficiency, yes. i'm looking at it (pun unintended) from a visibility issue.

Typical SUV has the air efficiency of a brick.

Typical "SUVs" have normal Cd values - Hyundai Tucson is around 0.33; Alfa Romeo's Stelvio SUV and Giulia car have identical Cd values at 0.32. There are outliers (e.g., Jeep Wranger due to the high windscreen angle), but most things perform as well as a typical car, with increased drag being solely down to the larger frontal area.

But if this is a discussion about urban areas, then you need to consider that below about 50km/h, aerodynamics contributes very little to vehicle efficiency. Most energy is used overcoming mechanical drag and inertia. It's only at faster speeds that inertia starts to work in your favour and aerodynamics becomes a limiting factor.

Longer vehicles have less overall aerodynamic drag than short ones, which favours some SUV designs.

It's still another thing that a SUV is bad at..

It's death of a thousand paper cuts with SUVs. It's the cumulative effect of being bad in almost every aspect. And we've made it the most common car type.

Even when I do most of my driving in and around the city. A decent amount of it % of it is on orbital routes with over 50kph speed limits.

The "flatlining" of CO2 emissions since 2015 is due to a change in the measurement system (WLTP vs NEDC) combined with a tightening of the auditing of testing laboratories to avoid cheating in the wake of the VW Diesel scandal. Basically, much of the decline in emissions in the decade up to 2015 was a lie, and we're now seeing the true, slower, rate of decline.

That UCC article does something that really bugs me: they complain about "SUV" sales without defining what they mean by "SUV".

To take an example: A B-SUV like a Jeep Renegade offers the same interior volume as a D-segment car like a VW Passsat, at the same kerbweight (actually the Renegade is lighter), but smaller footprint. From an engineering point of view, both of these are cars (unibody construction, FWD), but the lighter, more efficient one is labelled as bad while the heavier one is considered good... B and C-segment SUVs are actually beneficial for providing greater utility at the same footprint as larger cars.

Where I agree is in D-segment and higher (Tucson upward): these vehicles are oversized simply to hide their cost of production, and they are inferior to cars. 4WD vehicles are less effiicent again, and unless you live somewhere where the roads often fail, they are a waste of resources.

I'm not defending SUVs here, by the way, just trying to keep an interesting debate grounded in facts. People shout "SUV" at cars that are dimensionally not that different to historical car designs (A modern VW T-Roc actually has a lower ride-height than a VW1100 "Beetle"). What we have now is a trend toward tall, high-riding cars, something we last saw in the 1950s.

For the record, I would fully support a weight x footprint tax on new cars to replace Motor Tax - the escalating size of vehicles makes existing road and parking infrastructure less efficient and poses a danger to vulnerable road users in urban areas, but I have no objection to any particular body-style. (I do have a major objection to Body-on-Frame construction being used for light-duty passenger cars, but that's an American, rather than European phenomenon). Taxation based on running weight would force manufacturers to produce more efficient designs, rather than hiding their inefficiency in bloated, heavy bodywork.

The farce of parents driving their children to school in 2 tonne toy-trucks because they're so scared of those kids being struck by some other parent's 2 tonne toy truck needs to end.

I'm not sure most people need a passat for carrying one and two people around the city. I don't think you're going to use a 1950s Beetle either.

I take the point that blanket "labels" like SUV are not always that useful.

I used to drive a Passat and now drive a Tiguan. Although not designed by the same team, the engine gearbox and much of the running gear appears the same to me. I look on the Tiguan as a Passat that is shorter but a bit taller - not much different, but easier to drive from a higher position.

Not sure of weight difference, but fuel consumption is higher once the speed is above 100 km/h.

i had the occasion recently to drive a t-cross a couple of times, and was surprised how poor the boot capacity was. with four small suitcases in it, it was full.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I look on the Tiguan as a Passat that is shorter but a bit taller - not much different, but easier to drive from a higher position.

The increase in height of vehicles is a problem for other drivers when they are in traditional sedans which sit lower as you can't see past the vehicle in front.

However, as someone who travels to work by bike (leaving my sedan at home), I find that the taller vehicles make it easier to hide me from other drivers which has a negative impact on my safety.

Advertisement