Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you have a problem with a post report it to the mods.

But it was a mod who introduced it to this thread.

Really any aspects of car use is more less valid in my mind.

Mod: If you have a problem with a post - Report it. If the post is by one of the mods, then another mod will deal with it.

Mods can post, but as a normal poster unless declared as acting as a mod. So, sometimes they might stray over the line, but so do normal posters.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are already sensors in place at many junctions around Dublin that extend the green light sequence when a bus is detected as approaching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are they visible? I.e. can you tell which junctions have them?

Do they just detect a large vehicle in the bus lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No it’s done electronically. The bus transmits a signal which, if the bus is within a certain distance of the traffic lights will keep the green light lit until the bus has passed through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not sure if this is the right thread but they want to close off a pedestrianised/cycling area to the public because of anti social behaviour, such a regressive step if it happens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I live near there and walk through there the whole time. I think you might be mis-reading the tweet, they aren't talking about closing it due to anti-social behaviour. I have never seen any anti-social behavior there at all. Closing it would be a big pain in the hole. Did they give a reason why?

EDIT: In the article it mentions, "with a view to ensuring that our tenants, their children and families are safer, more secure and that road safety levels along the street are greatly improved.". I imagine the road safety levels means people on dirt bikes and quads. I haven't seen that in a while but definitely used to see the odd young fella on them ripping through it so I can see why they are annoyed. The kids doing it lived in the flats that are in the picture and would have sole access to this. So, a few people in those flats can't or won't keep their kids in line so close it off to everyone outside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This counsellor mentioned anti-social behaviour, which is the reason they usually do this kind of thing

I'm on the fence about this. Permeability is often mostly an positive for people passing through and a negative to residents. Permeability advocates bare often very dismissive of well researched and known anti social issues.

That said I recognize the positives of permeability.

So I think these things should be trialled then reassessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

😂.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume this would be done by blocking one end of the street entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I hate this. Assuming it's about scramblers/dirt bikes then talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. God forbid anyone in Ireland would try and actually tackle a root cause for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Blocking off the route will almost certainly lead to more anti-social behaviour.

Open to correction.

But in the meeting the main issue is the place being over-run with off street parking. The idea being to stop it being used as car park except for residents.

They refer to anti social issues and meetings with Garda. but its not discussed. The gates are connected to the parking somehow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Surely, parking is easily dealt with by either Gardai or clampers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If they are talking about the area that is paved then I don't see how there is illegal parking in there. There are bollards either side blocking it off. I don't think I have ever seen anything parked in there and I have been living in the area for years and I'm always walking through it. There is definitely a problem with illegal parking int he area in general but not in there.

Sounds like a long standing issue thats been a problem for years.

That's all they seem to talk about in the linked meeting where its passed. I got the impression its a safety issue. I assume people are being obnoxious when it comes to parking and/or its the volume.

But you can't park in there. Check it out on google maps. There are bollards either end of it. You can't get a car in there. I can't remember the last time I seen a bike locked up there so it can't be that either. Like I say there is a huge problem with illegal parking in the area in general but not in there.

From the map it looks like the road isn't just the bit between the bollards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is the parking area reserved for residents, or is it general parking anyone can use? If it's the former, there may be a point. If the latter, not so much.

[edit]

Google does show a "Residents Parking Only" sign at the entrance. So there is apparently a lack of enforcement. Seems more of a car park dispute than "cities reducing car access".

Post edited by JohnC. on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Not a ban on all cars, but Stockholm is to ban all petrol and diesel cars from a 20 block central area from the end of next year. They say it's the first step and it will expand later.

Yeah, it's residents and guests parking only, and run by Apcoa. They seem to operate pretty ruthlessly in other car parks they run.

Plenty of illegal parking nearby though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The laziness of delivery drivers and taxis is just unbelievable. They park on pavements and double yellows when there is vacant legal parking on the other side of the street.

Enforcement should be stepped up. Whatever happened to the traffic wardens?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I regularly see this when there are legitimate aces to stop under 10 metres away. Even 5 seconds of walking is considered intolerable.

I heard of a cop stopping a speeding car on the M4 in the English west country near Swindon travelling towards London. He got the driver to stand on the central reservation and asked him to watch the traffic and tell if he recognised any vehicles. It did not take him long to see all the vehicles he had sped past at great speed - not long at all. The cop kept him there long enough so that he had lost several times the amount he had gained from speeding. Lesson learnt.

Enforcement is the answer. Whatever happened to the traffic wardens?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It has been a long time since I saw a traffic warden. Most local authorities seem to have outsourced the parking charge enforcement part of the job to the likes of Apcoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't think we have wardens in DCC parking areas anymore because clamping is the first and only resort.

Which means that absolutely nobody takes any responsibility for parking offences outside of non-payment of fees.

• Advertisement

many years ago i parked on shelbourne road, but did not spot that it was a clearway after 4. got delayed, came out at half four, and the car was gone. i got lucky - i spotted it about 100m away, clamped.

i was told as the clamp was being released that i was lucky, i think it was that if there is not a spare legitimate spot visible from where my car was lifted, it'd have been taken to the pound instead.

Advertisement