Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's an amazing story that turned into an embarrassing story.

They were sent off for 'grading' and are now all wrapped in plastic.

Apparently already being sealed wasn't enough and they needed to be sealed a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

RIP Yuzu :0(

I'm sure like many I grabbed the latest version and cloned the GitHub when the court case news came out. I wonder how long before we see a new emulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Still eagerly awaiting the arse to fall out of this WATA bubble, losing faith with each passing year. I'm only really on the periphery of collector culture anymore, but it seems they've been increasingly normalized as time goes on, for reasons that are too numerous, and bleak, to get into here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

On one hand I'm pissed because I don't like when accountants determine legality, but on the other hand, really what were they thinking? Absolutely coining it, 40k a month around the time of TotK, with clean informational instructions on their website about the use of keys etc. Emulation is going to have to evolve, and useage of decryption keys will have to die out....likely replaced by games needing to be decrypted outside of the emulator itself. Plus, excessive Patreon donations are always going to draw fire and smother people in legal fees, such as this.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

This isn't in Stereoscopic 3D but it's still pretty mental!

@o1s1n time to dust off your DK1! 😂

I've been sleeping on the doom mods:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Installed that myself, lots of fun... but... still prefer the install of the PC version of Outrun 2006 on my Deck

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Is that roguelike Doom Infinite any good? Seems like a really interesting idea for a roguelike actually.

Was just playing a bit of this over the weekend, it runs so smooth! Really nicely done. If it was a Nintendo IP it would probably be gone by now 😯

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone investing in the Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story tomorrow?

I've the Switch version pre-ordered and downloaded, cheaper on the Japanese eshop.

He released a game on PS5 recently that is compatible with PSVR 2 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From a convertaion in the office around funky beat'em ups, someone brought up that they saw a video about Buriki One on the Hyper Neo Geo 64 and how the controls are funky. You seemily just have a forward/back button for movement and the combat/attack buttons are a joystick. Thought, Ooo need to check that out to see that its only just been emulated well in MAME in the past year so no need to break the bank to try it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

its a great little game , you couldnt give away the hyper neo years ago but this was always worth owning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never seen a hyper 64 in the wild. Seemed like a very underpowered arcade board, there's nothing there a PS1 couldn't do when stuff like model 3 and Naomi were out.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I almost bought one a few times, they were going for peanuts! Was quite surprised to see there seems to be a bit of interest in them these days.

I have buriki and one of the same shos buriki used to get a bit of play but haven't had it in a while, still not sure I'd spend good money on it

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭dav09

It was a bit of a strange one as it almost seemed underpowered for its time, I suppose you could say the same about the original Neo geo. They didn't seem to sell and had a bunch of cancelled games, I think having no real clear hit titles is what caused its demise but it's awfully strange considering the amount of IPs SNK had, its like they gave up before they even tried support it, there must have been other factors i.e. financial or something. I've never seen one either. Seen a few world rally cabinets for sale. I remember a huge haul of unsold NOS Hyper Neo Geo 64 came up recently for fairly cheap.

• Advertisement

yeah snk were banjaxed financially by the time it was released fingers in way too many pies ,remember they had just released cd system as well that was horrendous and and was up against the ps and saturn a pocket system as well up against the gameboy. 3d Gaming was in its infancy and they mad a balls of it really as well and didnt stick to what they were good at .Its a odd system and I still don't know what they were thinking. never say one in the wild untill the mid 2000's and why would ops buy into this when the ng was still doing ok business !

One of the games has a bit of a following think its one of the samuari shodowns but not sure which one

i reckon it must have been pig of a system to design for as no other developer released anything.

I suppose you could say the same about the original Neo geo.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone claim that , Jesus the system was mythical

They original neo geo was a beast when it came out in 1990, way ahead of other 2D boards of the time that weren't multiprocessor super scalar type systems.

Master of the Universe

To think games like The Last Blade and Metal Slug are running on hardware from 1990 is pretty insane.

Big fan translation just hit. The Goemon game for ps1 is finally playable in english

I would have liked to have seen In the Hunt on the NeoGeo, feels like the Metal Slug title we never got

Seems like we were lucky we ever got ranger X. The same guy solely responsible for the western release of Gunstar Heroes was again solely responsible.

^^ Ultimately, did Sega of America kill Sega as a major player on the console/gaming space? Had Sega of Japan been left to run global operations, would things have ended differently? It was Sega of America who wanted the 32X if I recall, and there were serious differences of opinion on how top proceed a lot of the time...

Master of the Universe

Really underrated game that, one of the console's best. It's not very difficult at all though, easy to play through in one sitting.

Amazing bit of trivia. Shame he could have moved over to Nintendo of Europe and gotten a few more SNES RPGs released! 😁

Master of the Universe

There are so many alternative reality questions when it comes to that era of gaming. Same with the Sony/Nintendo debacle, how would everything look now in a world where the Nintendo Playstation existed?

It's possible it might have flopped (as most addons do). Imagine a combination of that with Sega not releasing loads of silly Megadrive add ons and just going straight to the Saturn.

• Advertisement

I honestly think that the biggest contributor to Sega's downfall was just how good Sony and the PlayStation was. There was very little hype for the PlayStation until just before arrival and people saw how good it was.

There's lots of factors there. The PS1 chipset manufacture was controlled by Sony so they had the ability to reduce costs unlike Sega meaning they could launch cheaper. They had great titles on the launch window while Sega struggled. The hardware was modest but made clever cuts to get 3D running as fast as possible.

Namco was also a big contributor. They were an excellent developer but had been at loggerheads with Nintendo since the Famicom days so went all in on PlayStation and released some of their best stuff around launch.

And then there was Nintendo just being late to the party. They launched in 1996. The PS1 had a decent 1995, but by 1996 the PlayStation was getting some really exciting titles. And then 1997 which was one of the best years for videogame releases and most were on PlayStation.

Advertisement