Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, I had that Bayonetta cart in hand 4 days after ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Yeah but you might have to pay customs charges when it arrives in Ireland.

What's strange is that it's 280 euro on the Sonicware EU shop, so maybe theres a pre order discount.

It doesn't come with the PSU either and theyre a bit saucy on price.

But I reckon any 9v DC PSU will do. It's a digital synth so shouldn't be suspect to noise.

Bare in mind that only has 3 FM channels which is a little bit limiting hence why some of Yuzo's banks sound different from the original sound tracks.

Ah sweet. Only spotted this message now which makes my last reply a bit redundant! 😂

I'd love to see videos of you messing around with it when it comes.

I might take the plunge too in the future as I'm not too confident in my soldering for the SMT chips on the front panel circuit board. The pads are very small and I should of soldered one leg of the ICs at a time instead of drag soldering to ensure there's a proper contact. Fingers crossed it will be okay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also been meaning to pick this up… must do so soon.

The yen is wild at the moment. Would have always gone on the ‘remove two zeroes’ approach to get a very rough conversion, but it’s so weak at the moment it’s closer to 50 yen to the euro. Makes it a tempting time to import, even with shipping fee and customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a (relatively) cheap backup solution in case you've any difficulties with your project. Definitely see it out though! Can't beat equipment you've made yourself.

Yeah sure give me a few months and we can form a Megadrive synth band. What could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement

Haha! Speaking of which this is probably my favourite cover of Streets Of Rage:

This cover by them is class also. Props to the vocalist:

So I used a multimeter to test continuity of the SMT chips yesterday and most of legs of the chips weren't even connected to the pads. So had to resolder every leg one by one, had to use hot air to remove some chips which weren't centered correctly and thus one whole side of the chips weren't connected.

It was tedious work but essential as the LEDs and encoders would not work further into the project. I'm just glad I thought of using my multimeter to double check everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mobius2021

Looking to get some thoughts - is it worth buying a Wii U? Can get a 32GB premium second hand from Cex for about €130-145.

Before Christmas my wife suggested we get down from the attic my old Wii for the kids. I hacked it and we're getting great use from it. Was thinking the Wii U might be good as it can play all the Wii games and more.

Saw a YouTube video recently from Modern Vintage Gamer and it looks very flexible hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Truthfully the majority of Wii U titles that were worth playing are all on Switch. It's easily hacked to run custom firmware, but I'm not sure it'll offer a big leap over your hacked Wii. Certainly a console I'm glad I own, despite it's obvious failures....but it gets little to no use.

Stick with the white model, as I think I remember reading none of the white models shipped with the Hynix nand chip (which is the chip failing as these consoles get older.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Arcade revival in Japan on NHK news

Nice feature from the 8-bit guy on repairing legendary C64 composer Martin Galway's Commodore 128:

Martin posted a pic and description of his development hardware on his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/14t4Wg3uMGcuXega/

• Advertisement

Just noticed that the screenshots for Revenge of Shinobi are literally pics of a CRT TV instead of digitally captured from the game and printed.

Not being a collector of physical retro games which CIB it has me wondering if other games are pics or CRT TVs from that era?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A quick 5 hour 38 min watch, and its only part 1! 😀

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis SUPER SPECIAL Documentary (Part 1: 1988-1992)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,680 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Don't mind some of BastichB's stuff - Commodore mainly obviously, but will line that up for the week 😆

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems the new Jeff Minter collection will have a playable demo of monsters attack of the mutant camels for the Konica multisystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Direct downloads from cdromance seem to be back. Downloaded the translations of Mizzurna Falls and the Echo Night games for PS1 with no issue.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doom runs on everything. This is somehow an official port.

I have very fond memories of playing Revenge of the Mutant Camels on my Commodore 64. Got a lend of a tape with loads of games possibly from a magazine as it had lots of other games on it.

It felt like the closest thing to a psychedelic acid trip you could experience at 6 or 7 years old with the zany use of sprites!

Jeff Minter as his best!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw this and will absolutely buy it, just disappointed that his work through the 00s and the 10s are missing.

Space Giraffe, Tempest 3k, the various iOS titles, TkX, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Happy days, I thought I was going crazy after all the overtime I've been doing lately. Between that and the Xbox 360 site I've been using going from 5MB/s to 200KB/S I thought I was losing it!

CDR is one of the few go-to's these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Any good 90s/early 2000s racers worth checking out, any specific Need for Speed, Test Drive etc that stand out for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Not console, but 'Grand Prix Legends' on the PC (1998?) is worth a look. More sim like though compared to NFS or Test Drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I was doing a bit of high seas shenanigans with my DS and 3DS since I'm selling a lot of stuff so I've been getting familiar with their libraries.

I've not changed my mind about the DS, it's an absolute glut of high quality games with some great variety to the library and some real weirdo stuff on there as well.

The 3DS library however I'm finding quite lacking. In a way it's like the N64 library but not nearly as terrible.

The 3DS library is pretty small but it does seem to have quite a high ratio of good stuff to dross. There's a decent amount of games worth playing on the system but not as much as say the SNES or other great systems. I think main issue is the lack of variety in the library. If you love jrpgs then you are in heaven with the 3DS but it seems most of the library is jrpg focused with a handful of more traditional action games. There's some weird stuff as well, the style savvy games and there's some really great stuff on the download store, but again it's a bit lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't think any handheld will ever come as close to the DS for quality of titles. Nintendo were absolutely printing money in those days. Every second person has a DS and a Wii. You'd literally see grannies playing Dr Kawashima's Brain Training. I'd go around to friends houses and their parents would be jumping around the living room playing Wii Sports. Great time to be a Nintendo fan.

I do think the 3DS is excellent though, I certainly had a lot of fun with it over the years. Potentially as much as the DS.

I wonder is it the last great handheld we'll ever see?

Well you could count the Switch as a handheld and that's a fantastic console. I do think the 3DS is a great machine. I'd probably rank it around the megadrive level which isn't exactly bad.

Speaking of videogame libraries I was going through my Wii games as well and honestly that system really doesn't get enough love. There's so much good stuff on there and loads of weird and wonderful stuff. I also realised I've a pretty great Wii library, going to hurt selling that.

On another note had a load of my girlfriend's family over at the weekend. She was saying how she doesn't think her 5 year old nephew has any interest in videogames and honestly he hasn't really shown much. He's only tried them once and being quite young just couldn't grasp how to use a joypad. When they visited he asked if, unprovoked by me btw, asked to play some games. So I threw on some old games and again he was having trouble but I also had two gamepads set up this time and through maybe some coop games would help.

Anyway cue him getting really into the Konami 1989 TMNT game. We credit fed all the way to shredder and he almost beat his first game except his little three year old brother wanted in on the action and only managed to disconnect the player 2 gamepads Bluetooth somehow. Went home talking about the turtles. He still hasn't quite grasped how to use a gamepad but I think helping him out worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

A hacked 3DS with Twilight Menu installed for DS stuff/emulators would be my desert island console.

• Advertisement

I actually use a DS for my DS games because I don't like the pixel ratio on the 3DS being off (and I know you can force into 1:1 pixel mode but it throws off games that take into account the screen gap like contra 4.

Advertisement