Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Inviere

I bought a minty Japanese N3DSXL last year, and performed the region change, and obvious custom firmware install - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058166235/handheld-hijinks-vol-1-llxl/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yeah, don't recall the battery on the OG being particularly impressive. I've recently ordered myself a 'New' XL with an IPS top-screen so hoping it lives up to the hype when it arrives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The DS Lite is there, with the PS2, as the GOAT of gaming platforms.

Certainly, playing NSMB on it, for the first time, was akin to booting up SMW on my box fresh SNES.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'd like to do that at some stage I just can't pick between the snes colour buttons or the face plate changing one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Someone said to me people are gone mad in Gamecube atm seems to be hard to get anything GC related, anyone else see that too?

I'm trying to stay away from temptation, hoping I can get a few bits in the new year.

• Advertisement

Guess that explains why CeX have now raised the price of a basic, unboxed black Gamecube to about €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone have any interesting coffee table books? (Or should I say large format hardbacks, not sure if coffee table book is a common phrase, people get confused when I mention it!)

Just watched Tested's favourite ones of 2022 and there's a few interesting ones in there. Had a browse at Bitmap Book's website and I see there an unofficial Mega Drive compendium coming out in the new year, also have my eye on their Game Boy Box Art collection and the first person shooter book.

Any good non-gaming ones? I borrowed a horror movie one off my sister and it was a bit crap, it was just the author explaining what they liked about each movie. Felt like I was reading the script of an amateur YouTuber's top horror movie video!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm really conflicted over the Metal Slug: Ultimate History one - swore I wouldn't buy any more coffee table/art books as they take up so much space and generally never get read (in my house anyway!), but it really looks lovely and I'm a sucker for original concept drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The CE for that one was a bit wild. The rigid outer sleeve had all the weapon icons on the front and played the soundbite for collecting them when pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What?? haha that's insane! have to buy it now. Love the idea of someone knocking off it while going through other books on the shelves. 'MACHINE GUN!

• Advertisement

Pity that version isn't available anymore, here's a short video showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Think what I like most about the DS is that its a Nintendo platform where a lot of the greta games are by third parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

My DS collection is lighter than I would like. Mostly first party titles - although still need a few of those (why are Kirby games so hard to find ?) - what am I missing on the 3rd party front ? What are the big ones that I dont deserve to call myself a collector if I dont have ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anything by Atlus first of all. Sega has some great releases as well. Sonic Rush is a blast and you have Shiren the Wanders, Infinite space and Shinobi. The Ace Attorney games and Ghost Trick. Konami has some great stuff from the Castlevania games to other quirkiness. Soul Bubbles is another. Square have some amazing stuff. It's still the best place to play The world ends with you. FF Four Heroes of Light is a proto bravely default but they also have some great RPGs like the Dragon Quest and DQ Joker games. Bangai-O from treasure. GTA Chinatown Wars is a blast.

There's way too many to list really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No kidding. I did a sweep there. Have some of what you mentioned including the criminally underrated soul bubbles. But by my reckoning, the ones I dont have in the collection that I need to at least consider are:

Some of these e.g. Ace Attorney I think I have in some Japanese switch compilation. Maybe some of the Megaman games too. Which of these would I scratch off the list as being not worthy of actively seeking out (OR have a better version on another platform) ? If there is an obvious belter of a game not on the list.. its probably already on my shelf, but if there is a hidden gem that you think I will have missed.. call it out.

Metal Slug 7 is available on modern platforms as the enhanced Metal Slug XX version.

Ghost Trick is getting a re-release on modern platforms, it was recently rated in South Korea.

Mega Man Battle Network is getting a collection release, the tie in anime, Mega Man NT, is also getting uploaded to the Megaman YouTube channel. The Zero/ZX games have been collected too.

The first 3 Ace Attorney games are available on most platforms, Apollo got re-released on 3DS though is on the closing estore, it's also available on mobile. Miles Edgeworth is also available on mobile.

The World Ends With You is available on Switch and mobile, doesn't play as well as the DS version.

I would recommend tracking down Contra 4. It's great, difficult like most Contra games and can be annoying in places due to having to avoid incoming fire over 2 screens though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stuff to knock off the list:

Broken Sword, very easy to get on other platforms

Dementium and Moon I beleive are available as remakes on 3DS.

Wario: Master of Disguise. It's **** awful

Add:

Etrian Odyssey 2 and 3. These games are seriously good.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2: I see you have elite beat agents there but these are the japanese games they are based on and they are legendarily good.

Showing Point Blank DS some love for how ridiculously well it converted the arcade experience over. Those Dragon Quest games are going absolutely wreck any budget you might be thinking of. I missed out on Solatorobo in 2014-ish when Argos were offloading their DS gear initially, it was right around the time of the GREAT TESCO CLEAROUT so went entirely under the radar.

Solatorobo goes for remortgage the house money now. Same with Infinite Space.

I also would look out for the following:

Bleach: The Blade of Fate (Made by Treasure and a refinement of their 3 player fighting games)

Chibi Robo Park Patrol

Contact

Custom Robo

Jam with the Band

Legend of Kage 2

Knights in the Knightmare

Legendary Starfy

Locks Quest

Monster Tale

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword

Project Rub and Rub Rabbits

Rocket Slime

Scurge Hive

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing (different from the console game and also regarded as better than Mario Kart DS)

• Advertisement

Legend of Kage 2 is an absolute beast of a game. Sunk hours into it. Look like it's slowly starting to climb out of the €10-€20 range so good time to get on it.

Solatorobo seems to go around €180 for cart only. Infinite Space is a more reasonable €100 boxed.

Still have my copy of Infinite Space that I got for €20 in Game, can be frustrating in the end game.

Just on this, am I right in thinking this was from the great Tesco price rush of yonder? I wouldn't have bought sealed DS games any other way... If so, I prob paid <€5 for it, sold it for next to nothing, and now look at the value 🙄

Argos were doing a DS clearout at the same time, flew under the radar. They were selling off Pokemon Typing Adventure with the keyboard for pennies too, only thing I managed to nab was the original Inazuma Eleven for a couple quid.

It was a fuzzy time, we were all distracted by goldrushers storming the Tesco checkouts with piles of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I remember shooting out to one on the North side, because there was a rumour they'd the Star Wars edition of the 360 and Kinect for 99 euro....it wasn't to be though. I did get the aforementioned Prime Trilogy, and a few other bits tho

Think someone either good samaritaned the clearout or Tesco couldn't be arsed flogging them but ages later found a bunch of new Metroid PTs outside a charity shop on Camden St for a fiver a pop. Had literally a fiver to my name at the time and got one, imagine the place must've been absolutely fleeced by whomever happened upon them after me. I mean, I guess the big winner from all these fire-sales are generally CeX in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Does it, I have Infinite Space and need a new extension!

Advertisement