Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I just spent the last 20 mins trying to figure out why my Mega Drive/PVM was dropping video but not power cycling. Screen would go blank on my PVM(no signal), then come back after while, then blank again. I was testing out some game hacks on the new cart pcb's I had made up by pcbway and thought that maybe i messed up the design or something like that.

Folks, if you have some Govee leds(in my case to backlight some billy book cases) and also a Hydra2 scart switch in the same area don't let your toddler go crazy with the lights. The Govee LED remote works just fine to change Hydra2 options and swap ports 😀

Post edited by Steve X2 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I shared this in the main gaming forum but worth sharing here too. Hbomberguy’s video about a Roblox sound effect disappears down a rabbit hole about composer Tommy Tallarico (he of Video Games Live / Earthworm Jim ‘fame’). It’s quite the journey - a long video but tremendously entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,611 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did anyone ever play Messiah in the end? Was it good?

It's one of those games I always remember reading about in gaming magazines back in the day but never got around to actually giving it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Friend of mine loved it at release and he was always good with the neglected PC game recommendations (massive Looking Glass fan). I get the feeling time hasn't been too kind on it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retronauts had two pretty long shows about star control 2, one of which happened when they got some of the original developers in the recording boothe and now I want to play star control 2. Luckily the best version of the game is free as an open source port on pc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved Star Control 2 when it was released on the 3DO.

Such a great game although the European release was hobbled by not having the starmap included, which the original US edition did have packed in.

It might have had more to do with the different packages for releases in each territory, with EU titles packed in CD/Double CD cases while the US got these to all cardboard/plastic things.

Pretty sure we got big box releases in Europe when SC2 was released. CD cases were for budget reissues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope, I bought the 3DO on release and certainly the EA titles were all in double CD cases at the time, and I bought Burning Soldier and that was in a single CD case.

I got Star Control II on release and that was in a double CD case as well.

These are a few more PAL releases from Reddit

Sorry I was thinking pc.

• Advertisement

It's interesting how much mass effect ripped off star control 2. And it's sounds like SC2 is better in every way.

The 3DO version was the best one, at the time.

The music was better, for a start.

The cinematics have certainly dated it though.

The game wasn't afraid to be humourous, though there were a few planets that were quite creepy!

The free PC source port is based on the 3DO code. It was the only source code they could find but thankfully they saved the best version.

It's interesting that the developer is still going and creating games, although it looks like they have now been swallowed by the Call of Duty machine.

Just a quick google suggests that while the company name is now nestled in the Activision/Microsoft family the founders of Toys for Bob went off to form their own company to develop a sequel to The Ur-Quan Masters (a HD remake of SC2), so we will finally get a proper Star Control III (the original SC3 had no input from Toys for Bob).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Just read the whole article, bloody hell!

At least it had a better outcome than it might have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Interesting story, I never knew that even existed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That's a mad one alright. Strange the person who initially took it just left half of it outside. You either have room for the arcade cabinet that comes with a freaking car or you don't! Seems like they just wanted a freebie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My experience on Adverts leads me to believe there's a population out there that will leap on literally any old shite once it's free and with absolutely zero consideration for any of the logistics involved.

Post edited by Mr.Saturn on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Advertisement

Anyone ever actually get their order from Strictly Limited Games? Shipping dates constantly moved out and getting withered

Master of the Universe

Last game I ever got from them was a Darius Extra Version and it took so long that I said I'd never buy anything from the site again.

Think I preordered in Oct 21 to be dispatched in Feb 22 and now it's saying 2023. Feel like I gave em long enough but it's my first order, might try cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, I've had 3 parcels from them. They take a very long time. I ordered Cotton Reboot when it was ready to ship, ordered Cotton 2 in Oct 21 and arrived last week, ordered Cotton Fantasy in November 21 which arrived in July and currently have Ray's Arcade Collection on order for next year.

I think I pre-ordered Bubble Bobble from them and it took an age to get here.

Looks like Ancient are working on a new bullet hell for the Mega Drive. Interested to see what they can do with the tools available now.

Master of the Universe

Here's hoping for a bangin' soundtrack!

Did they update you of the date changes or had you to ask? My orders for the original Cotton 100%, was told 2 weeks at Halloween now it's January.

They just keep saying "there's a delay" "we're waiting for something"

No, you need to keep checking their manufacturing update page. A lot of people were very annoyed with the delays to the Cotton Reboot CE though as it was delayed by 18 months before it eventually was released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Doge

Leaving this here for Retr0!

Unreal Engine 5.1 seems to have solved the issue of "pop" in and even gains frames with this rendering method!

Advertisement