Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

smurf492 wrote: »
    Eason were stocking the likes of Edge and Retro Gamer but nothing since last month.. Well Galway anyway.
    If you have a library card both should be on the RBdigital app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not necessarily gaming related but I'd love to have something like this. Always wanted a Nokia Communicatior device or one of those Vaio UMPC's back in the Windows XP generation. This goes back even further. Love it.

Also unrelated, but I had a Pocket PC a few years ago, alongside my PSP. I enjoyed getting games and emulators trying to run on it but only had a 32MB card. Ended up just playing a ton of Lemonda Tycoon on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Not necessarily gaming related but I'd love to have something like this. Always wanted a Nokia Communicatior device or one of those Vaio UMPC's back in the Windows XP generation. This goes back even further. Love it.

Also unrelated, but I had a Pocket PC a few years ago, alongside my PSP. I enjoyed getting games and emulators trying to run on it but only had a 32MB card. Ended up just playing a ton of Lemonda Tycoon on it :)

I do enjoy nerding out on LGR videos

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

megaten wrote:
    If you have a library card both should be on the RBdigital app.

Had no idea about this but great service... Thanks for the heads up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I always wanted a Toshiba Libretto for emulation purposes.
    A very small fully featured Windows PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I've got a couple of those I liberated from a recycling bin in work years ago. I must fish them out and see if they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A little OT but it's a fairly random post.

If you like Until Dawn on PS4 then Slasher Season 2 is pretty much that in a TV show format. On Netflix and worth a watch.

More on topic, I was watching Sega Lord X's 32x videos on YouTube. He does a comparison between 32x/Genesis/CD versions of the same game. A lot of lazy ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Hey, anyone else remember playing that one Asterix game on the Mega Drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I vaguely remember renting it and thinking the graphics were nice but that's about it. I'd played 50 licensed platformers by that point and they began to all feel the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hey, anyone else remember playing that one Asterix game on the Mega Drive?

It's a weird game. It's actually not that bad, just mediocre. I did finish it but only because me and a friend had a bet to try and finish it as we thought it was impossible. He gave up and I managed to beat it.

In terms of difficulty it's not too bad after the first two stages. The issue with those stages is the time limit. It's absolutely insane how little time you have to beat each level and you are constantly racing it. I remember once I could finish those two stages/areas comfortably (after the second boss) I pretty much got through the entire game up to the final boss. Who destroyed me.

My second attempt though I got through it.

If you want good Asterix platformers then check out the master system games which are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I almost bought that Asterix game as a kid. Played the arcade cabinet a lot on Bray seafront so of course my childhood brain thought it was going to be the same game. Decided to go with Quackshot instead - still the best decision I have made to this day. :Db

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I remember during work experiance in the late 90s in a semi-state company, I was asked to install a modem card in a execs Libretto. Didn't expect to see a laptop that small, that modem install took a few hours as I tinkered around with the laptop :)
    Steve X2 wrote: »
    I've got a couple of those I liberated from a recycling bin in work years ago. I must fish them out and see if they work.
    Ooo, should one need a new home (sell) - I'd be interested :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I almost bought that Asterix game as a kid. Played the arcade cabinet a lot on Bray seafront so of course my childhood brain thought it was going to be the same game. Decided to go with Quackshot instead - still the best decision I have made to this day. :Db

I love that konami cab except for one thing, limited continues.

Konami were stingy feckers back then. Loads of their games only allowed limited continues so you couldn't credit feed. Super Contra is another one like that but Super Contra is actually pretty easy and beatable. Pity as I'd love to see the later stages as it's a really fun game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I remember during work experiance in the late 90s in a semi-state company, I was asked to install a modem card in a execs Libretto. Didn't expect to see a laptop that small, that modem install took a few hours as I tinkered around with the laptop :)

Ooo, should one need a new home (sell) - I'd be interested :)

Had a look there and found one of them. It's a 100CT model, so a little bit more powerful than the one in the vid as well as having a larger screen(but the same size/form factor).

n0ZONrn.jpg

lm8PCfK.jpg

I even found that Compaq PDA he has.
    YQZk4kQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I love that konami cab except for one thing, limited continues.

Konami were stingy feckers back then. Loads of their games only allowed limited continues so you couldn't credit feed. Super Contra is another one like that but Super Contra is actually pretty easy and beatable. Pity as I'd love to see the later stages as it's a really fun game.

Ah it wasn't konami's fault (kinda).

There's an option on the arcade board to allow infinite continues or a maximum of 3 continues. If operators felt that people are getting too good of value from a game, they'd up the difficulty, limit continues, less lives or whatever.

On a Castlevania board I have it takes two AA batteries, and this powers the "book keeping" mode. Basically an operator could check the logs and get all sorts of info like how many minutes a game lasted per credit, how likely someone would continue, how many games per hour, what days are popular, what time of day etc.

Based off that info they then tinker with the settings to get a balance of value for both themselves and the players.

Bastards...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bastards...

So... It wasn't the joysticks fault at all... You just suck...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Gradius can finally get that Killer Instinct cab he / she always wanted, except not all is as it seems! ;)

539202.jpg

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ces-2021-arcade1up-unveils-new-cabinets-for-x-men-killer-instinct-and-more/1100-6486087/

OH SWEET JESUS!

Seriously though, I'm going to get a killer instinct cabinet one of these days. Almost got a ki2 a couple months back till I realised that I couldn't store it where I wanted. Have a lead on a ki1 but those extra 10 inches on the length really screw things up.

And that's what she said :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Any c64 music chip fans?

https://youtu.be/6oRUCkAbPn0

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Gradius can finally get that Killer Instinct cab he / she always wanted, except not all is as it seems! ;)

How are these still being made, who is buying them and how are they turning a profit? They really do boggle my mind!

Still fairly certain it's some kind of money laundering scheme :D

Any c64 music chip fans?

https://youtu.be/6oRUCkAbPn0

That's mad, wasn't expecting
    SAM

How are these still being made, who is buying them and how are they turning a profit? They really do boggle my mind!

They're very popular in the US. I mean Walmart are selling them, so thats quite a volume in itself.

Few different factors at play, take for instance killer instinct.

Really popular game in the day, still a fairly well known series with ki3 released.

So if you fancy getting the original first off where are you going to get it? If you can track one down, are you willing to splash crazy money (relative to, say, a PS4 game of 50 quid)? Do you have the space? Can you operate the machine and keep it going? Are you actually mental enough to go through with it? :P

So there's definitely a large market for the games but not many able or willing to deal with the hurdles of getting a real one (massive hurdles!)

I can understand the popularity given the above. Not for me really, but plenty who'd love an easily acquired killer instinct. I read somewhere that 1up have sold over a million machines so far!

Honestly think for a joe soap that wants a little talking piece in the man cave they aren't a bad buy, especially if you get a game that you love on it. They aren't bad looking cabinets either and that 6 player x-men one.... I mean I'd be tempted if logistics and reality weren't an issue.

Still they should have better fighting games than Mortal Kombat and KI :P

I'd love a bubble bobble cab myself.... but owning my own place will have to come first!

Honestly think for a joe soap that wants a little talking piece in the man cave they aren't a bad buy, especially if you get a game that you love on it. They aren't bad looking cabinets either and that 6 player x-men one.... I mean I'd be tempted if logistics and reality weren't an issue.

Still they should have better fighting games than Mortal Kombat and KI :P

I'd love a bubble bobble cab myself.... but owning my own place will have to come first!

9532.jpg

Get a house of the dead deluxe, it's a twofer, a "house" and an arcade cabinet! Park it off the side of the m50, lash a couple doors up in place of the curtains.

R. Gamer,
    Number 1,
    House of the Dead,
    M50,
    Dublin,
    Ireland

Killer instinct isn't a great competitive game (sequel is much better for that because of how they adjusted the combo system). But it's a very entertaining game in single player, difficult to get your head around the mechanics, but great once you do.

Master of the Universe

I can see the desire for them alright, they're cool items, I just didn't think there'd actually be much of a market for them!

Seems like one of those things that would come out, folks get excited and buy them, then get bored/have them become a clothes horse and stick them on adverts (and shops would start selling them at knock down prices to clear stock, which we did see) - fully didn't expect for more waves of them to come along.

Glad they're doing well anyway, anything to get people interested in older games! Part of me does want to pick one up and modify the hell out of it.

I can see the desire for them alright, they're cool items, I just didn't think there'd actually be much of a market for them!

Seems like one of those things that would come out, folks get excited and buy them, then get bored/have them become a clothes horse and stick them on adverts (and shops would start selling them at knock down prices to clear stock, which we did see) - fully didn't expect for more waves of them to come along.

Glad they're doing well anyway, anything to get people interested in older games! Part of me does want to pick one up and modify the hell out of it.

Can't see how you thought that, especially being a game collector and seeing how the market works. People that remember these arcade games are in the 30 to 40 age range with good jobs and lots of disposable income. Add midlife crisis to the mix and you have the perfect market for these games.

I really can't find myself getting annoyed about these as they are apparently well made and the selection of games has been bang on the money with some licensed games as well that really shouldn't have happened. It's obvious the people behind them have a love for what they are doing if they can work out these licenses.

539343.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Can't see how you thought that, especially being a game collector and seeing how the market works. People that remember these arcade games are in the 30 to 40 age range with good jobs and lots of disposable income. Add midlife crisis to the mix and you have the perfect market for these games.

I really can't find myself getting annoyed about these as they are apparently well made and the selection of games has been bang on the money with some licensed games as well that really shouldn't have happened. It's obvious the people behind them have a love for what they are doing if they can work out these licenses.

Perfect market yes, but it's novelty item territory for 99% of people buying them in the above category you mentioned.

Novelty items tend to be bought, enjoyed for a small period of time and then either gather dust or sold. Larger novelty items fall victim to this even more as people want the space back. They have their day and that's that.

I just find it hard to believe there are people all over the place buying so many arcade1up units that they can do multiple runs on them.

I'm not a detractor of them just to note, I think they're interesting items and I do quite like the idea of people buying them and potentially building mini arcades, I am just taken aback that it would be a feasible business at all.

Advertisement