Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magazine limit

Options
  • 24-10-2018 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Whats magazine limit for .22 semi auto rifle with un restricted licence ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just to add, and you probably already know, it's the mag that is limited not the rounds in it.

So the mag can only be capable of holding ten. You cannot have a 25 or 30 round mag with only ten rounds loaded.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭.270 remington

I wonder would it be much bother to get licence changed to restricted to keep within the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Let us all know when you do have a very good reason for such a restricted .22;)
    What do you need this ammo amount for over here on tap?

Plinking, AKA fun shooting isnt a good reason.

We have no competitions that need that amount of ammo on tap in any course.[A big mistake that our orgs STILL haven't organised something on the EU lines that allow this]

Do you have that amount of bunnies that you could drop and would need that capacity?

Its a very hard sell here to be able to stick a 25 rounder on your .22 to change it to restricted.

Of course you "could" if you need somehow for whatever reason that amount of ammo on tap, get some two-sided sticky tape and tape or glue two 10 round mags plate to plate and practise a speed mag change and have near enough the same effect as a 20 round mag,[they do have a tendency to hiccup with a full capacity load of 25 rounds]... legally.
    As they are two separate mags containing the permissible unrestricted 10 rounds.
    Law doesn't say anything about how your 10 rounders are to be carried or used.
    The difference between two ten round boxes or one single box holding 20 rounds being used in the same manner has been never successfully answerd by Law enforcement or anti gunners alike. All about looks not functionality.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I wonder would it be much bother to get licence changed to restricted to keep within the law.

You have to show a reason why it's needed over an unrestricted license. So if you can show this then yes, it's entirely possible. How much of a bother it'll be is up to the Chief Super.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Hi all. Just further from this question, is there a limit to the quantity of magazines one can own for a particular firearm?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

Short answer - No. e.g. I have in the past had 6 mags for one firearm. I needed them for competitions. Legislation says nothing about max number of mags.

However, some good points made above already about restricted \ unrestricted on this subject, that you would need to keep in mind.

freddieot wrote: »
    Short answer - No. e.g. I have in the past had 6 mags for one firearm. I needed them for competitions. Legislation says nothing about max number of mags.

However, some good points made above already about restricted \ unrestricted on this subject, that you would need to keep in mind.
    Thanks Freddie. Mines a ruger mini 14 it's on a restricted liscence already but shipped with just 1 "5" round mag so I'd like to get a few 10 rounder's

Well done..A mini14, you are proably the first person to own one here in IRL.:D
    Blued or stainless? It affects the mag prices.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well done..A mini14, you are proably the first person to own one here in IRL.:D
    Blued or stainless? It affects the mag prices.:P

It's in the blue Grizz, trying to source an accu strut for it too but of course the yanks wont export. For people who claim to be all about freedom they're very limited to whom that freedom applies.

• Advertisement

Try Germany.Any competent gunsmith will slap an accu strut[Shudder!] under the barrel for you.Or sell you the part.

Its not so much that the US gun makers won't sell to the EU it's the ITAR and UN regulations on small arms exports.:mad: Legislation that as usual thought out with good intent,to prevent 15-year-old kids being armed with new AKs in some African shthole,ends up biting as usual the law abiding in the ass.

Hopefully, President Trump is going to loosen up this legislation in the near future,so the likes of you and me can buy bits of plastic or inert metal lumps to hang under our barrels.

Or you could try Brownells Ireland...And not eat for a week or so by their prices:rolleyes:

getting the 10 round mags from them and a new rear peep sight for it. they don't have the strut though

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

Is 10 round the only capacity ? You know that once the rifle is restricted there is no mag capacity limit. The 10 only applies to unrestricted rifles. (certs)

thats the only capaity listed on the brownells Ireland site and again Ruger won't export mags. I can't even see any listed on egun.de . Will be ordering a tacticool stock for it but that's for after crimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

judestynes wrote: »
    thats the only capaity listed on the brownells Ireland site and again Ruger won't export mags. I can't even see any listed on egun.de . Will be ordering a tacticool stock for it but that's for after crimbo.

If you have family in the states could they post you magazines? How would that stand legally? You may have to pay tax at boarder tho.

There is 20 round mags ón a UK site.

https://riflemags.co.uk/ruger-mini-14-20-round-223-magazine/

If you have family in the states could they post you magazines? How would that stand legally? You may have to pay tax at boarder tho.

There is 20 round mags ón a UK site.

https://riflemags.co.uk/ruger-mini-14-20-round-223-magazine/

Thanks Cad-pat but at £57.00 sterling!!! I don't want them that badly lol will suss out amazon too

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Thanks Cad-pat but at £57.00 sterling!!! I don't want them that badly lol will suss out amazon too

Tís a fair wack of cash man, amazon refused to ship me a pistol holster I wanted for airsoft under some American law. Are they just standerd ar mags it takes or is the mini 14 mag different? If it is an ár mah i would check some chezh and polish sites or even Switzerland.

Actually I sourced a 30 rounder for $22.00 and a rear sight for $20.00 will ship from Canada. Happy days

Will the Canuks export high cap mags tho?? If they do . Happy days indeed.

Now the next problem might be the EU... Remember the new directive?
    Putting or possessing a mag above 10 rounds moves it without a national authorisation of a recognised shooting sport disciplines that requires that amount of ammo in such a stage into the CAT-A [prohibited] You are still fine in CAT B keeping them at ten round capacity,and "blocking" them to 10 if you want the "tactical look"

As it is already implemented and EU law and we have no info on what the situation in the ROI is regarding this...I'd suggest you order a bunch of restrictors to ten rounds to go with them as well,just to be sure to be sure.

Reshipping the high cap mags from friends and family from the US...Not really recommended as it does violate State Dept and ITAR restrictions.

So you shippers might find a 3 or 4 letter agency at their door wanting a word...While they are in cuffs on the floor looking down the barrel of an MP5 while their pals total the house at 4AM with a no knock warrent!:eek:
    Has been known to happen...

Ever since Bill Ruger took it into his genius head to restrict genuine Ruger hi cap mags to LE sales in the 1980s.He really screwed his product and turned thousands off his guns,and boosted the crap plastic aftermarket hi cap mags for Ruger minis.

BTW Egun.Here you go .You got less than 24 hours to bid on these.
    http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=7172189 or a 30 rounder http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=7155078

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Mini 14s need hicaps since they only put about 2 in 5 shots on target !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

According to extensive academic research (Smith, Murdock, Peck & Baracus), it has been comprehensively determined that the Ruger Mini-14 is the least-accurate/lethal firearm in recorded history:

This research is disputed however, with claims that the Stormtrooper E-11 Blaster Rifle is even less accurate/lethal (Vader, et al).

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Mini 14s need hicaps since they only put about 2 in 5 shots on target !!!

mine must be broken so coz I got 15 out of 15. Should I return it :D:D:D

Well if you find it shooting the ground around the "ankles" of the target then don't fret, this is its natural environment, but can be trained to shoot higher. :D

sensing a lot of hate for one of my babies on up here gents. To be fair I've only got it since August so it hasn't been out much so I can't really judge it's performance just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

sensing a lot of hate for one of my babies on up here gents.

If by "hate" you meant "deep seething jealousy", you'd be absolutely correct in my case :D

Never understood why everyone rags the mini.It was never designed or intended to shoot sub MOA groups out at 500 yards. It's a or was, cheap as chips,
    pickup truck rifle for hitting deer or coyote sized critters out to 200 meters. And not scaring your anti-gun neighbours with an all black AR15 rifle which it was the back then, cheaper alternative to the then, Colt AR15 only market.

Or why anyone spends a fortune trying to turn them into tack drivers.By the time you are finished re barrelling one of them and tuning them, you are getting into building or acquiring a decent AR15 target rifle.:)

Thing is it can still be switched into a more "conventional" stock so it's less offensive to those of a nervous disposition, that said if one is of a nervous disposition maybe a rifle range isn't the best place to be lol

Advertisement