Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Smart TV no play store

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mr.S wrote:
    If you want to run proper apps, smoothly you're better off getting an external device that runs Android TV, like an Nvidia Shield or Mii Box. Smart TV's are always underpowered and will be quickly outdated.

I'd would have agreed with you but I'm happily running my Sony android tv now for a year. All the apps I need are on it, including kodi, plex, STB emulators etc

There's a lot to be said for have just the one remote control too

Google assistant working too, wireless keyboard and Chrome, with a built in Chrome cast and 4 K Netflix.

BTW I don't play many android games on my TV, just PS4. That might be a deal breaker for some wrt Sony android TV power. Although the PS4 controller pairs very well, I haven't pushed gameplay

Sony are great with updates too. I've been getting decent updates regularly enough

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have and I've seen nothing but complaints for fire TV sticks. My attitude is if you're going to do IPTV get a wired device or one with usb so you can add an Ethernet adapter, it's one less variable to deal with

Not a firestick fan either. I found fire TV to be far superior and well worth the extra money.

They are a great way to add a casting function to an older TV though. A cheap but limited upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mafitz

Huge fan of the fire stick, used various one over the last few years, currently using 2 at home one for IPTV since July no issues and the other in the attic using kodi and some other apps, picking up my WiFi from the front room. they are reasonably cheap, no real problem updating with the newer version each year.

picking up the G4 one on Saturday looking forward to setting it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Wireless is a shared medium and half duplex, ie your wireless router will only send or receive packets from or to one device at a time. Having a static device demanding a continuous few Mbit is not ideal and could have drastic effects on the quality of wireless for other devices. Likewise having a smartphone demanding a few Mbit to stream YouTube or Netflix videos could cause problems for the Fire stick.

Advertisement