Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Smart TV no play store

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

Google play store can't run on a TV not running android as far as I'm aware. The TV won't run android apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

SteM wrote: »
    Google play store can't run on a TV not running android as far as I'm aware. The TV won't run android apps.

That dont sound good I was wondering if on a prerequisite basis it would work

Nope. Won't run.

Nope. Won't run.

Back to the shop so..Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

As far as I know only Sony have Android, lg have their own Web Os, where was the tv bought?

• Advertisement

I got it in power city. Supposed to be a smart TV lol. Its LG not smart enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

jimmynokia wrote: »

Which Powercity store? Did you ask for Android tv or just smart tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Doesn't mention Android or Play in the description - good luck with the excuse for returning it.
    Should they refuse buy a cheap tv box.

Darren 83 wrote: »

Which Powercity store? Did you ask for Android tv or just smart tv?
    Smart TV

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

jimmynokia wrote:
    Smart TV

Smart TV just means it can play movies from external storage devices, will have some apps like Netflix and YouTube, most will have a casting feature.

Android TV is like having an android box installed in the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is there a particular app you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

LG WebOS is far far superior and more responsive than the crippled Sony Android TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

ongarite wrote: »
    LG WebOS is far far superior and more responsive than the crippled Sony Android TVs.

can you download apk's on the webOS ?

im looking for an android tv if anyone can recommend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Customer: I'd like to buy a smart TV
    Salesperson: yippee, we've got another live one here!!

Smart TV is the latest buzz word. Having a smart TV means for are at the mercy of the TV manufacturer for app updates. You are always better to ignore it and just buy the TV with the picture quality you are happy with and add an external box like a MiBox or Shield that has decent horsepower and gets support and updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Mr.S wrote: »
    You can’t install APK’s on WebOS. What apps are you looking for though, WebOS might have you covered.

Your best best to buy an external device running Android TV, like a Mii box or Shield.

streaming apk's not sure if im allowed to mention them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

jambofc wrote: »
    can you download apk's on the webOS ?

Can you install exe's on MacOS? Can you install dmg's on Windows?

I doubt PowerCity will entertain your reason for returning. LG's WebOS is far superior to embedded Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I'll give you €200 for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

jambofc wrote: »
    streaming apk's not sure if im allowed to mention them.....

You can download an app called smartiptv on the LG’s, Cost’s €6 or a free one called OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DANG333

Get Amazon Fire stick, and put Aptoide on it.
    It's has all play store apps and more !!!
    You tube it for directions.
    Black Friday coming soon on Amazon so u should get a good deal.

DANG333 wrote: »
    Get Amazon Fire stick, and put Aptoide on it.
    It's has all play store apps and more !!!
    You tube it for directions.
    Black Friday coming soon on Amazon so u should get a good deal.

Is a fire stick good enough for glitch free IPTV though?

• Advertisement

Yep a brother of mine uses one and says it’s great, you iptv supplier is the important bit for glitch free viewing. But yeah the op is better off with an android box if he wants to access google play

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Customer: I'd like to buy a smart TV
    Salesperson: yippee, we've got another live one here!!

Smart TV is the latest buzz word. Having a smart TV means for are at the mercy of the TV manufacturer for app updates. You are always better to ignore it and just buy the TV with the picture quality you are happy with and add an external box like a MiBox or Shield that has decent horsepower and gets support and updates.

I would’ve thought it would be pretty hard to buy a non smart tv nowadays. More likely the salesperson is thinking “yippee, now I can try and sell a €90 HDMI cable or €200 wall bracket”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If you are looking for smart IPTV app it is available for LG OS AFAIK...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would’ve thought it would be pretty hard to buy a non smart tv nowadays. More likely the salesperson is thinking “yippee, now I can try and sell a €90 HDMI cable or €200 wall bracket”

And don't forget the "extended" 2 year warranty that EU consumer law covers the product for anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fieldog wrote: »
    If you are looking for smart IPTV app it is available for LG OS AFAIK...

Tried googling this but am still not clear. What exactly is this app and what does it do?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Tried googling this but am still not clear. What exactly is this app and what does it do?

It’s not something that can be spoken about in too much detail on boards so google is your best bet

I would be looking at adding an ethernet port to it or a wired alternative to be honest.

I would be looking at adding an ethernet port to it or a wired alternative to be honest.

Yep big time, wireless IPTV is asking for trouble imo

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DANG333

Ye definitely, just type fire stick & IPTV into Google and you will see it's capabilities.

• Advertisement

DANG333 wrote: »
    Ye definitely, just type fire stick & IPTV into Google and you will see it's capabilities.

I have and I've seen nothing but complaints for fire TV sticks. My attitude is if you're going to do IPTV get a wired device or one with usb so you can add an Ethernet adapter, it's one less variable to deal with

Advertisement