Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-lethal dog persuasion

Options
  • 22-10-2018 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Is their anyway to make a dog stay away without killing him or seriously harming the dog i am a dog lover and i do not want to kill a dog.
    Is their anything i can shoot him with that will not kill him but make him remember such as peas in a shotgun shell or something along those means.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

cosieman wrote: »
    Is their anyway to make a dog stay away without killing him or seriously harming the dog i am a dog lover and i do not want to kill a dog.
    Is their anything i can shoot him with that will not kill him but make him remember such as peas in a shotgun shell or something along those means.

You must be off your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Catapult?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

If its a particular area you want to keep him out of then a temporary electric fence is as good as anything - a belt of that should put manners on him straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Birdnuts wrote: »
    If its a particular area you want to keep him out of then a temporary electric fence is as good as anything - a belt of that should put manners on him straight away
    yep and easy to pick up in any agri store. You might even get a loan of a battery pack soon enough if you know a farmer, cattle will be coming in off the fields as soon as the weather turns to ****e so they wont need the fence on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm told that a good catapult and a bucket of ice cubes can be a good deterrent. Leaves not a trace behind either, uh, so I'm told............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Peas in a shotgun shell?

That dog must be driving you up the walls, how the fcuk did ya think of that?

I second the electric fence as a deterrent, one bang and after that he/she will only need to see the wire and back off.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Call the dog warden.

It's their job to capture stray and "wayward" animals/dogs.

The electric fence is an idea in the interim, but your first call should be to the dog warden.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mod hat on for this bit so there is no confusion.

There is a dog control act, and also an animal welfare act. As such there are laws and rules to follow.

Shooting a dog is a last resort and ONLY under some very strict conditions (livestock, worrying, no action on behalf of dog warden, etc). This forum is a shooting/hunting/fieldsport forum and as such the discussion of shooting dogs should rarely, if ever, appear on it.

I don't post this as a chastisation, merely a heads up.

The use of catapults or other "missiles" launched by whatever means is cruel and should not be used and most definitely not discussed on this forum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Also, trying to re-manufacture 'less-lethal' ammunition out of conventional cartridges could very well be viewed as an occasion of sin by those responsible for policing our firearms/reloading/explosives legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Imagine how offended the vegans would get.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭clivej

Thing here is you have to be there when the dog arrives on your plot. Electric fence is the way to go. Always ON, and none lethal

Advertisement