Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    1-1 in the amateurs. Not clear at all..

Between the two? I think anyone with a pair of working eyes has it 2-0 Conlan. Should be 1-0 really. Chatchai Butdee clearly beat Nikitin in the round before the Conlan fight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Between the two? I think anyone with a pair of working eyes has it 2-0 Conlan. Should be 1-0 really. Chatchai Butdee clearly beat Nikitin in the round before the Conlan fight too.

Sorry, it's officially 2-0 to Nikitin.

The 2013 world's you could not argue with that decision. It was a closely fought fight.

Rio, well of course you could argue that. So let's say it's 1-1 then. I had MC winning the Rio fight, albeit a closer fight than many would have you believe.

Anyway, neither man has yet to show their real pro potential.

Sorry, it's officially 2-0 to Nikitin.

The 2013 world's you could not argue with that decision. It was a closely fought fight.

Rio, well of course you could argue that. So let's say it's 1-1 then. I had MC winning the Rio fight, albeit a closer fight than many would have you believe.

Anyway, neither man has yet to show their real pro potential.

Can't say I've actually seen the 2013 Worlds fight I'd say the 2016 fight gives a better reflection of where both fighters are though and Conlan clearly dominated that. Conlan unarguably had the better amateur career and has the better pedigree. Just not sure what would make one pick Nikitin if they were to fight in the next few months. Don't see how he'd pose Conlan any major problems to be honest.

Can't say I've actually seen the 2013 Worlds fight I'd say the 2016 fight gives a better reflection of where both fighters are though and Conlan clearly dominated that. Conlan unarguably had the better amateur career and has the better pedigree. Just not sure what would make one pick Nikitin if they were to fight in the next few months. Don't see how he'd pose Conlan any major problems to be honest.

Not trying to bring up old wounds, but MC was hit a fair bit in Rio. He won, but he did not dominate.

Nikitin would easily be the best pro fighter MC Has faced. That's all I need to know. MC is progressing slowly. Look at his style and his strengths and weaknesses. Both their amateur fights is all I have to go on as far as how they match up, and in both Nikitin landed fairly easily on MC.

This is the pro game, where stamina and chin and work-rate (against someone quite decent) etc are all involved. I have no idea how MC is in these areas until it's put up to him.

What will he be like in close in the later rds? Will he have the strength and stamina for a hard pace in the later rds etc etc?

I think it's fair to say that MC won't easily box the ears off Nikitin, and I think it's fair to say that Nikitin will bring heat and offence and will catch MC a fair bit...

MC is not Floyd Mayweather, and nor is he some big power punching threat that ends fights easily. This leads me to believe that he will be made really work and earn wins against quality opposition who can put it up to him.

I am not saying Nikitin is a great pro, but does he need to be to be even competitive against MC?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Katie got 100k in dollars for the fight. People are entitled to their view on women’s boxing and its potential, but remember just 2 years ago in the wake of Rio, when going pro was being seriously mooted, boards like this one were flooded with posts saying she’d be stupid to go pro, no money or interest in women’s boxing etc

So now she is making, at a guess, not less than 500k a year and with the likes of Estelle Mossely and others joining her women’s pro boxing is slowly and gradually becoming a better and more sustainable entity.

I’ll never get tired of championing Katie Taylor on here for what she did for amateur boxing and now what she is doing for the pro game. Her achievements cannot be underplayed. I’m not sure women’s boxing would even be an Olympic sport if it wasn’t for her, certainly wouldn’t have been as early as 2012 anyway.

Is it a sustainable entity though? Would it fly as a stand alone?

Seems to me like the men's game subsidises it.

I couldn't see any major promoter ever putting on an all female card.

• Advertisement

Not trying to bring up old wounds, but MC was hit a fair bit in Rio. He won, but he did not dominate.

Nikitin would easily be the best pro fighter MC Has faced. That's all I need to know. MC is progressing slowly. Look at his style and his strengths and weaknesses. Both their amateur fights is all I have to go on as far as how they match up, and in both Nikitin landed fairly easily on MC.

This is the pro game, where stamina and chin and work-rate (against someone quite decent) etc are all involved. I have no idea how MC is in these areas until it's put up to him.

What will he be like in close in the later rds? Will he have the strength and stamina for a hard pace in the later rds etc etc?

I think it's fair to say that MC won't easily box the ears off Nikitin, and I think it's fair to say that Nikitin will bring heat and offence and will catch MC a fair bit...

MC is not Floyd Mayweather, and nor is he some big power punching threat that ends fights easily. This leads me to believe that he will be made really work and earn wins against quality opposition who can put it up to him.

I am not saying Nikitin is a great pro, but does he need to be to be even competitive against MC?

So you're picking Nikitin because you haven't seen Conlan's stamina, chin or work-rate and are worried about how he'd do in the latter rounds? You've seen even less of those things out of Nikitin, he's only done two six rounders.

You're taking a very pro-Nikitin stance here. You say Nikitin landed a lot on Conlan. Nikitin couldn't even make the Olympic semi final because Conlan had his face so mangled from landing on him in the quarters.

Get the feeling you'd be absolutely crucifying Conlan if he lost a round to a journeyman like Nikitin did at the weekend yet your main takeaway from that fight is that he'd be too strong for Conlan.

We'll see, can't say I'm in any way close to nervous about that fight though. Far bigger fish to fry for Conlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Is it a sustainable entity though? Would it fly as a stand alone?

Seems to me like the men's game subsidises it.

I couldn't see any major promoter ever putting on an all female card.

It’s a fair question and I’m no sort of expert. But I would point out that women pro boxers have been around for decades and they’ll be around for decades more. How quickly or substantially it develops is another question, don’t honestly know is the answer.

I believe Katie Taylor could headline a card at the Stadium right now. It mightn’t be hugely mouthwatering but it is progress at least.

Big thing is the Olympics which is going to feed into it, as with the men. We’ve only had 2 cycles and I think most who watch would agree there was no comparison in quality between 2012 and 2016 and tokyo, assuming boxing makes it, should be better again.

I’d compare it to horse racing. Up to very recently lots held the view that women couldn’t ride horses properly, let alone compete with men. Many still do. Yet this year a female is/was leading the Irish jump jockeys championship and same was happening on the flat in England. People talk about whether these will or can happen while, all the time, they are happening right under their noses. Just takes them time to adjust to the reality.

So you're picking Nikitin because you haven't seen Conlan's stamina, chin or work-rate and are worried about how he'd do in the latter rounds? You've seen even less of those things out of Nikitin, he's only done two six rounders.

You're taking a very pro-Nikitin stance here. You say Nikitin landed a lot on Conlan. Nikitin couldn't even make the Olympic semi final because Conlan had his face so mangled from landing on him in the quarters.

Get the feeling you'd be absolutely crucifying Conlan if he lost a round to a journeyman like Nikitin did at the weekend yet your main takeaway from that fight is that he'd be too strong for Conlan.

We'll see, can't say I'm in any way close to nervous about that fight though. Far bigger fish to fry for Conlan.

Nikitin did land a lot in their two amateur bouts.

BTW, the injury (or the main one/original head injury) that Nikitin sustained in Rio was from the fight before Conlan...

Let's not make out that MC was busting him up. Many many shots were arms, gloves and glancing; that being for both men.

I think he may be too strong in the pros for MC. I can't know this until they meet, of course.

I don't see how you think MC makes easy work of him. I would understand this if MC had a few pro bouts that could lead you to this line of thinking. To date MC has fought desperately poor opposition, and in these bouts it's next to impossible to truly assess his pro pedigree, due to that opposition being so weak.

You say I am taking a very pro Nikitin stance? Simply because I think he could be a real match for MC in the pros, and possibly beat him?

What about your way OTT stance on MC and his pro journey? Remember, the one you said would be a superstar before he even entered the pro ring? And this "bigger fish to fry." As if Nikitin is just beneath MC as regards an opponent....

After all that went on, Nikitin should be D number 1 opponent for MC. MC should be relishing the chance to avenge the Rio loss....

I think Kiko is still active at FW. He'd be a nice match for Conlan now.....he's top 15 or 20, and MC is calling for a top 10-15..

He'd a be a big step up for MC, even factoring in that he's past his best days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The Taylor fight was v poor, her opponent didn’t come to fight. Fair play to Katie though, lot of money made since 2016.

• Advertisement

What about your way OTT stance on MC and his pro journey? Remember, the one you said would be a superstar before he even entered the pro ring? And this "bigger fish to fry." As if Nikitin is just beneath MC as regards an opponent....

After all that went on, Nikitin should be D number 1 opponent for MC. MC should be relishing the chance to avenge the Rio loss....

Nikitin is beneath Conlan thats pretty clear. Top Rank signed him for one reason only and thats to feed him to Mick.

It's a great fight for Mick on his way becoming a star. Easy sell to the casual fan and a fight Mick will look good in. Not a fight that will prove much whether he can become a world champion etc.

Nikitin is beneath Conlan thats pretty clear. Top Rank signed him for one reason only and thats to feed him to Mick.

It's a great fight for Mick on his way becoming a star. Easy sell to the casual fan and a fight Mick will look good in. Not a fight that will prove much whether he can become a world champion etc.

I think it would be a big sell..

You come across way too confident as regards Mick and what he will do and achieve as a pro..

Not saying he won't, but to date what exactly are you seeing that would lead you to be so clear and confident?

I'll start taking real notice when MC steps up a couple of levels and fights some decent and quality opposition.

Seriously, we don't even know yet if he can take a decent crack on the chin....

Do you think Kiko would be a good step up and fight for him? I think it would. Assuming Kiko has something to give, at least he'd bring real pressure and at least he can punch back....

pac_man wrote: »
    Kiko is fighting for a European title this weekend. I remember you saying not long ago that he should be fighting Donaire soon. It's too early for both of them fights. Conlan is far from the finished article and it's pretty evident from what we've seen so far that it's going to take time.

I don't really get this....time for what? He's not that young. Is something going to change all that much whereby you say "now he's ready?"

BTW, not saying he should be in against the best in the world right now....but someone in the top 20 at least in the next few fights....

Kiko is NOT the best, nor is Donaire, who is a blown up and past his best bantam.....

Both would be ideal tests for Conlan in the next 6 months. I mean, if he still is not the "finished article," whatever that means for him by then, and is not up to the likes of a Kiko or Donaire?.....

At FW Donaire is a round 10-15 best, and Kiko probably close to this.....

Well, the only thing that would “worry” me now against both theses matches would be MCs chin. If it is sturdy, or proves to be, I would back him to beat both (and possibly beat both decisively) if they fought..nothing else would really concern me. He has the moves, the versatility and the offensive skills and range to be able to win...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Hhugedick

Well, the only thing that would “worry” me now against both theses matches would be MCs chin. If it is sturdy, or proves to be, I would back him to beat both (and possibly beat both decisively) if they fought..nothing else would really concern me. He has the moves, the versatility and the offensive skills and range to be able to win...

It'd clear from your last day on this thread that your clearly a troll man. I would bet a fair few Pound that your boxing knowledge is limited, and your knowledge of mick conlan is zero. You got bites on your trolling so just give it a rest at this stage and move on. Some people do like to genuinely discuss our Irish fighters with other boxing fans on this site. We don't need to be invaded with trolls on our discussions. Goodbye

Can you contribute to the discussion other than accusing a poster of trolling?

Are you asking me not to call out a troll? Am sick of them. You can't have a discussion without one of them interrupting. Good enough answer for you?

Can you contribute to the discussion other than accusing a poster of trolling?

He’s slating me on quite a pro MC post...🤔

He has two posts on the forum..not a single contribution..

He’s slating me on quite a pro MC post...🀔

He has two posts on the forum..not a single contribution..

What you mean is I won't engage with you, I copped your carry on fairly quickly. Zero boxing knowledge and complete troll.

I'm asking you to attack the post, not the poster. If you suspect that someone is trolling(which I'm failing to see from the above btw!), there's a protocol in place in which you use the report button.

Who are you PAC man?? Are you the garda?

I'm asking you to attack the post, not the poster. If you suspect that someone is trolling(which I'm failing to see from the above btw!), there's a protocol in place in which you use the report button.

Who are you PAC man?? Are you the garda?

• Advertisement

Hhugedick wrote: »
    What you mean is I won't engage with you, I copped your carry on fairly quickly. Zero boxing knowledge and complete troll.

Jog on, pal...

Giz a shout when you’re ready to grow up!

Jog on, pal...

I'll jog on if you promise to move to a different subject. Leave boxing discussions to genuine boxing fans. How's that for a deal??

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

is it about time she brought a fight to Ireland give her home fans a chance to see her live, maybe Conor as well.There always thanking their fans would'nt a home fight be a nice gesture.?

Hhugedick wrote: »
    How's that for a deal??

Sh1te!

decky1 wrote: »
    is it about time she brought a fight to Ireland give her home fans a chance to see her live, maybe Conor as well.There always thanking their fans would'nt a home fight be a nice gesture.?

Hard to see any fights getting sanctioned here for foreseeable future due to you know what, Katie needs big big fights from here on in, Eddie hearn needs to get to work quick. I would prefer to see her gain all four belts before she goes for seranno or braekhaus.

Jog on, pal...

Your some rat

I think it would be a big sell..

You come across way too confident as regards Mick and what he will do and achieve as a pro..

Not saying he won't, but to date what exactly are you seeing that would lead you to be so clear and confident?

I'll start taking real notice when MC steps up a couple of levels and fights some decent and quality opposition.

Seriously, we don't even know yet if he can take a decent crack on the chin....

Do you think Kiko would be a good step up and fight for him? I think it would. Assuming Kiko has something to give, at least he'd bring real pressure and at least he can punch back....

My confidence is as much if not more in Top Rank than it is in Mick. Top Rank will find a way of maximizing Mick's popularity and getting him the fights that launch him into the mainstream.

I'd be looking at Kiko a little bit further down the line to be honest. Not long ago Kiko arguably beat Josh Warrington. That'd be a very big step up for Mick at this stage. He's fighting for a title in December and then I'd assume Nikitin after that. Maybe fit in another fight in the summer before looking at Kiko end of 2019 to set up the world title shot in early 2020.

My confidence is as much if not more in Top Rank than it is in Mick. Top Rank will find a way of maximizing Mick's popularity and getting him the fights that launch him into the mainstream.

I'd be looking at Kiko a little bit further down the line to be honest. Not long ago Kiko arguably beat Josh Warrington. That'd be a very big step up for Mick at this stage. He's fighting for a title in December and then I'd assume Nikitin after that. Maybe fit in another fight in the summer before looking at Kiko end of 2019 to set up the world title shot in early 2020.

Ah good lord, another casual that knows nothing about the game, Jesus man if your going to tip your toes into a boxing thread maybe you should start at your level. Amateur.

Advertisement