Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got 15k for the trade in. If I tried to sell privately I may have gotten a bit more as it has loads of extras that the normal 4HS doesn't come with. But I do need the car right up until I collect the other one so it would be messy trying to sell and buy on the day.

Happy enough with 15. I paid 16.5K three and a half years ago. there is a bit of a used car bubble right now so taking advantage of that to make the jump to full EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Very good. And it actually says that figure on the display? What do you mean by regen? Is that charge or save mode?

Regenerative braking the silver paddels on the steering wheel. If you turn it on it will send some charge back to the battery when slowing the car down. It depends on the drive, I've also found turning it off and letting the car coast will give you loads of free distance. The car just keeps going and going :)

The Range shown by the car is trying to guess based on your previous driving. So if you pull directly onto a motorway and floor it, that will drop the predicted range on the next journey. If you are pottering around at 60km/h it will go up on the next time. It is also winter so that knocks about 10km off it.

I think you can reset the guessometer and it will start fresh on the next few drives. Otherwise just drive as normal and it will stabilise over a few weeks. Once summer comes you will get another boost.

Yeah, I guess our general driving is rarely under 60 so we’re not going to get as much return from the battery as others

Ah ok. I just thought the regen braking worked automatically and that you’d use the paddles if you wet going downhill or something. So when you’re driving are you always in regen mode or do you just switch over when you know you’re going to use them. Are there 5 different settings for regen? One would have been enough for me 🤯😂

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Same here I like to stick it on 0 and coast when on a slight decline and get free miles I've used Regen while coming down mountains and seen my range jump up as high as 60km when I got to the bottom.

• Advertisement

If it's 2017 it could already have lost 20% of the range. A lot depends on who had it before and how often they charged it. The only way to really know battery level is to get a DB2 dongle and use an app called PHEV Watchdog.

Regen is on by default. If the car is in D it is in B2. You can go up to B5 if you want to stronger or down to B0 to turn it off. If I am around here I know the areas that I can glide on so I'll flick it off. Then when I need to slow for a turn I'll flick it to B5. As Lapua mentions, if you are coming down a mountain use it and you will get back a good bit.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is petrol consumption very high?

I'm pleasantly surprised by how light the Superb is on petrol on long spins, it has never dropped below 4.3/100 on any journey. I got an amazing 1.8/100 on a 50km spin with help from a hefty tailwind 💨 on the return journey it still managed 3.8/100.

I have to get the calculator out for that as I use mpg. That’s almost 66mpg. The best I’ve gotten out of my own Outlander between fills is about 35mpg and I’ve been charging it almost every evening. It’s a small sample size though as we’ve only had it a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

First thing you do is pull back on the right flap twice when you start driving, even with regen your always loosing energy, the best way to drive it is with one foot, get up to speed and free wheel, take advantage of any down hill, let it glide along, when stopping use the left flap to increase regen to suit, ideally you want to increase regen closer to the stop, takes some practice. To avoid flapping, pull back on the gearstick for instant B3 and again to B5, unfortunately to go back to B0 its 5 flaps on the right paddle.

I think 35 mpg is low, worst I got on long motor way trips was 40 mpg, but maybe I put some work into it, I would constantly press on and off the charge button, off when road was flat or down hill to avoid using petrol.

Even with shorter trips I know that would not be completed on battery alone, I would press charge to avoid wasting battery going up a hill, far better to save it for the flats where your will get the most kms from it.

As you said its a month, step by step it will improve also its winter time so there is some loss because of the cold.

The same principle can be used for any phev, if the battery range is 50 km, that 50 km could easily be achieved by not wasting battery going up hills, only exception would be if the battery is full and its a shortish trip, you would want to leave some room in the battery for the regen.

What do your commutes consist of?

• Advertisement

I haven’t even started using the paddles yet so I’ll see how I get on with them. I had mainly been scratching my head trying to decide between using charge and save to be honest. The wife will definitely be a harder sell on trying to drive more economically 😰

Edit: Sorry I didn’t see your question about commutes. If I take the car it’s 7.5km to work. That takes 20mins or so in the morning and 12 in the evening maybe. 10 minutes of that will be driving slowly in traffic, the rest is up on 100km/hr. If the wife has the car she’s mainly tipping into the village

My main bugbear is I can get in and out of work no bother but if I have to do anything else I won’t have much battery left. Do you guys plug in as soon as you’re home or do you wait until the evenings when it’s cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Charge, for now, let her do her own thing and see, I found my own wife would drive slower than me anyway, which would give pretty good results.

The regen will only save about 75% of the energy. Your at a loss of 25% and when the engine kicks in for shorter trips it would not be as efficient until its warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Is this yoke much good off road? Do they get stuck easily?

Do you turn on the heaters in the morning? That will drop it a good bit. Simply being in winter can drop it 8-10km and turning on the heaters could double that.

Plug in and charge all the time. Electricity is way cheaper than the petrol you use when you run out of battery. Even if you add 5-10km range in a short charge it all helps. Even on the most expensive electricity rate, you will be way better off charging.

Never charge with the button in the car. The only time it might make sense is if you are waiting in the cold for someone and had the engine running anyway. But otherwise I never use it.

If you want to maximise it. No heaters, use gliding and regen to stop. And anytime you go above 80km/hr tip onto Save mode. (But if you are able to do your round trip all on battery just tip away and let the car decide).

The last fill I did I had done 1556km to 47.68 litres of petrol and 231 units of electricity, 87 of those units were free Lidl units but in the interests of accuracy I costed them at my home unit rate of 18c per unit. In summary, petrol cost 81 euro and electricity cost 41.58

My last fill was 488km to 39.68l, no clue on the leccy though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

all the cars have increased to mad money now unfortunately .. although the prices being asked make no sense as u said … there’s premium cars going for not much more than standard enough cars … in particular the suv and estate markets seem to be gone bonkers

That wouldn't be great. Any diesel would be better than that.

That’s what I said to the wife who was determined to buy this car 🤣 I’m determined to improve on that though. B0 & B5 are my best friends now

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I have to say my driving changed once I got the PHEV a lot less aggressive off the line, I don't accelerate as hard and use the regen for braking I don't get bothered on the road now

• Advertisement

I found using B mode in the Superb a bit tiresome on a long journey as you always have your foot on the pedal rocking between acceleration and overrun, D is much nicer I just let it glide down the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Win Win for Grumpy pants!! It's not often you hear stories like that when it comes to cars! Your 4HS sounds like a premium model with all the bells and whistles. I'd advise not looking up how much it's being sold for when you get your MG!!

I got 30km out of the outlander today (and arrived home with a little more battery life). I've gotten used to using the paddles instead of the brakes to slow down now and another tip is to make sure you're in neutral at traffic lights instead of in Drive with the brakes on.

@LillySV I'd read the full thread here and see if the car is suitable for you. The PHEV outlander is not a motorway munching car.

Just realised that I can’t use cruise control and B0 at the same time. If you were tipping along on the motorway would you use cruise control or B0 along with save? 🤔

The look on the wife’s face when I relaying all the above tips to her was comical 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Im reading here about lads using flaps or something to increase mileage … I don’t know what that is and whether I want to have to resort to that! 😂😂.👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have one of these on loan while my ampera is in the garage. I can't seem to find any settings for charging, how can I set the vehicle to only charge when my night rate kicks in? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Buffman

Depending on spec it may not have that feature. What year is it and do you know what spec it is?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Its a 2017 registration, no idea as to spec or trim level. It has heated seats which have almost aftermarket looking switches on the centre console and a heated steering wheel but otherwise a lot of blank switches on the dash. Has sensors all-around, decent looking alloys, sunroof etc. I'll plug it in manually tonight and see if I can't find out any more detail tomorrow

Do you have the touch screen or just a radio?. If you have the touch screen there is a setting to set the timer.

To be honest I found it annoying. I'd drop the kids to school plug in and it wouldn't charge.

• Advertisement

It has a touchscreen, I did have a look earlier but didn't see it, do you recall the menu or what the setting is called?

Advertisement