Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying on CV

Options
  • 19-10-2018 9:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭

Who has done it and how do people get away with it?

I'm doing a course and they want me to bring in my CV on Monday but I don't know what to put on it. I'm stuck with a gap on my CV due to the recession. It's a big gap of three years and I don't know how to fill it up. It's a long time without work but then the time flew by quickly at the same time. How do I fill in a gap like this to make myself look good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You were in Australia working on a farm/bar/building site for three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

At home minding the sick dog.

The one about Australia above^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Caring for ill relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Just be honest and say you spent 3 years at home tugging your wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Prison , foreign legion ... Be creative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

If I could turn the page
    In time then I'd rearrange
    Just a day or two
    Close my, close my, close my eyes

Tell me lies
    Tell me sweet little lies

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Sure, you were working with me at HMV ;) Or was it Xtra Vision?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Who has done it and how do people get away with it?

I'm doing a course and they want me to bring in my CV on Monday but I don't know what to put on it. I'm stuck with a gap on my CV due to the recession. It's a big gap of three years and I don't know how to fill it up. It's a long time without work but then the time flew by quickly at the same time. How do I fill in a gap like this to make myself look good?

The 3 years flew quickly and you weren't working, wow.
    What were you doing to pass the time?

Sure, you were working with me at HMV ;) Or was it Xtra Vision?

^^ I’ve got that on my CV for the gap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Just say employeed by Peru government. Any further questions can be answered with "that's classified".

Hell, I'd hire you with that on your cv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

Some jobs are now asking for a social welfare letter,so be careful with the lies they can come back to haunt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I remember seeing something here in AH where someone said they applied for a job as lifeguard in a local swimming pool but they couldn’t swim. I thought it was one of the funniest things I ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    ^^ I’ve got that on my CV for the gap :pac:

Genius

Anglo Irish Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 46 madwidow

Id rather pull of the heart strings and say to care for a family member. Generally if there is gap you have to account for it in the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

PapaOscar wrote: »
    Some jobs are now asking for a social welfare letter, so be careful with the lies they can come back to haunt you.

really? can they do that? legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 madwidow

fryup wrote: »
    My job did. And that was for 9 months gap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Go full Hemingway on it. Companies are lying cnuts too and more than half the jobs will either be recruiter scams or already due to be filled internally or be lined up for the hiring managers nephew/cousin etc. Have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Just say you didn't feel like working.
    And now you do.

You have to say it in a way that makes them give you the job.
    If they don't they're arseholes and not worth working for.

I'm only half joking

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

3 years without working in a job boom. best of luck with that.

Porbably best for both involved that you put nothing in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Go full Hemingway on it. Companies are lying cnuts too and more than half the jobs will either be recruiter scams or already due to be filled internally or be lined up for the hiring managers nephew/cousin etc. Have at it.
    Socking it to the man isn't going to help them one bit.

Any self employed relative or friend who would say you did bits of work for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

dreamers75 wrote: »
    3 years without working in a job boom. best of luck with that.

Porbably best for both involved that you put nothing in.
    You missed the recession bit of their post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Just say the truth. You ended up doing nothing for a few years, but now you are sick and tired of doing nothing, you realise now after three years of doing nothing that that it wasn't the best plan in the world and that you sure as hell don't want to go back to it so you are going to make sure that you never will. Just say the truth, don't bull$hit or lie, they'll smell it anyways. Say the truth then you won't have to try to remember any lies you told.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

What career are you in?

Pick a company that is no longer a going concern.

People lie all the time on their CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

madwidow wrote: »
    My job did. And that was for 9 months gap

did they tell you beforehand that they would?

engiweirdo wrote: »

Recruiter scams? Do they not need somebody to sign a contract in order to get paid? Even if a new employee leaves before a specified date they can’t get paid? Please explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Socking it to the man isn't going to help them one bit.

Any self employed relative or friend who would say you did bits of work for them?

Or random wino you could throw a crisp €20 to vouch for your 3 year stint as their personal investment consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Really depends on the position. I'm reviewing CVs at the moment and I'm more interested in the skill set and experience. I'm not going to nit pick about a gap of a year or two in the work experience as I just assume they were unemployed (especially as we've recently emerged from a recession) or on a career break or whatever. That said, it's a quite niche, mid level to senior position in a technical role that we're trying to fill.

Everybody pads out or 'emphasizes' a CV. Just don't pretend to have a specific skill you don't as they'll sniff it out in the interview or later. I know pretty much right away if somebody is spoofing a skill in an interview.

Stan. wrote: »
    I never once bumbed off the state any time I was unemployed. What kind of a letter could they provide for me?

First of all its not bumming off the state,some people get let go and need help which they are entitled to.To answer your question the SW could provide a letter to state you never claimed from them.

• Advertisement

Not sure on the legality of it.Particular jobs i went for required a 10 year verifiable background check.I wasnt going to argue as i didnt have anything to hide.

Advertisement