Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250 or 400

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

ODubhain82 wrote: »
    Ya, I need to check that out. I could possibly trailer the bike to the IBT location?

You won't get insurance without your ibt cert so you will have to use the instructors bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

mamax wrote: »
    You won't get insurance without your ibt cert so you will have to use the instructors bike

CN will insure you but you need to produce the IBT Cert within 30 days of taking out the policy.

Principal won't however, i'm currently with them.

Unsure about Liberty.

MCE are leaving the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I am sure it's possible to buy a bike and do your ibt on it but the one piece of advice I give everyone is to do the ibt first. There's a reason for this, you have no idea starting out what you really want or need in a bike or how an a2 bike compares to an a. The ibt is an opportunity to get a better idea of what you're looking for and to understand the bikes available to you and what's best to start on. Buying a bike and then doing the ibt is putting the cart before the horse.

I'll try avoid ranting because it sounds like you're not really interested in our advice but i started on a 250 as that's what the system allowed at the time when I started, my god I wish I had a 600 then, they're gutless and you'll be left for dead by a trendline polo on the m50.

Just do the ibt and then decide if a 250 is what you really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

You might get insurance but you won't be legally "licenced" until you complete the ibt and have the cert in your hand, that is a fact not speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ODubhain82

zubair wrote: »
    I am sure it's possible to buy a bike and do your ibt on it but the one piece of advice I give everyone is to do the ibt first. There's a reason for this, you have no idea starting out what you really want or need in a bike or how an a2 bike compares to an a. The ibt is an opportunity to get a better idea of what you're looking for and to understand the bikes available to you and what's best to start on. Buying a bike and then doing the ibt is putting the cart before the horse.

I'll try avoid ranting because it sounds like you're not really interested in our advice but i started on a 250 as that's what the system allowed at the time when I started, my god I wish I had a 600 then, they're gutless and you'll be left for dead by a trendline polo on the m50.

Just do the ibt and then decide if a 250 is what you really want.

Definitely interested in the advice I'm getting.

I think I will do the IBT first as you recommend. It makes sense.
    What I really want though is a retro styled bike, which is a pain in the arse
    as there seems to be very few around that would be suitable.
    The bikes suggested so far just don't do it for me at the moment.
    Not trying to be awkward.

The quest for a cb250 isn't going well anyway. I've tried to buy 3 over
    the last few months with no joy. Sellers not responding / bike sold at last

minute before I can get to it etc.
    Would I be mad to buy something this old?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/honda-cb-450-nighthawk/19426590

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Definitely interested in the advice I'm getting.

I think I will do the IBT first as you recommend. It makes sense.
    What I really want though is a retro styled bike, which is a pain in the arse
    as there seems to be very few around that would be suitable.
    The bikes suggested so far just don't do it for me at the moment.
    Not trying to be awkward.

The quest for a cb250 isn't going well anyway. I've tried to buy 3 over
    the last few months with no joy. Sellers not responding / bike sold at last

minute before I can get to it etc.
    Would I be mad to buy something this old?

If everything works as it should like he states in the ad,it's small money so would be ok.
    However,now maybe this is just me...
    When I see an ad like that where he has put a few quid into carbs and a few other bits, I start to question it.
    Had it issues and he tried to fix them and couldn't so now he is getting rid of it.
    It maybe legit but I'd be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

It's also worth taking the vehicle requirements for the A test into consideration, you need to take the test on a bike with an engine of 595cc or greater and power of 50kw or greater. You can do the A2 on a 400 while 250s are in a weird twilight zone, too big for A1 and not big enough for A2. You can obviously rent a bike for the test (I had to as I had a 250) but it's hassle, expense and makes the test un-necessarily stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Ya, I need to check that out. I could possibly trailer the bike to the IBT location? Looking at a 250 tomorrow obviously against all recomendations. Sorry all. Love the look of the parallel twin.
    So, yet another example of asking for advice then ignoring it.
    I appreciate all the help though.
    When I realise its too damn small I'll be going back though the suggestions. I'd say the sv650 would be a winner.
    I'll post some photos of whatever way I go.
    Thanks lads.

6ft and 15st. I am nearly 6ft and was 16st when I had a 125, and a 250. The 125 was top speed of 60mph ish but was less when conditions were against it. Found it too slow and light for bigger roads and motorways because you have so many feckers up your ass and expecting to pass and force drift you into the left.
    There are some exceptions such as varadero 125 and tdr 125 which can handle fast roads.
    I had a bog standard gn250 and it was grand for all roads except with passenger.
    It got up to 75 easy enough and then at push 85. So in my opinion most 250 can handle your measurements.
    But you should check top speed and bhp and weights of the bikes you are interested in.
    Ergo motorbike website will help you size wise.
    Some of the 250cc cruisers are both low seated and sluggish.
    That said there's nothing wrong with going above 250 , a more powerful and heavier bike will be more comfortable cruising at motorway speeds and will feel more stable.

Had a test drive on a cb450 today. Initially felt pretty heavy but once moving it was very comfortable. Decent power but not overwhelming.
    Very predictable and forgiving also.
    Going back tomorrow with a trailer.ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Had a test drive on a cb450 today. Initially felt pretty heavy but once moving it was very comfortable. Decent power but not overwhelming.
    Very predictable and forgiving also.
    Going back tomorrow with a trailer.ðŸ˜

What year is it..??.....private or dealer..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Link pls

https://www.donedeal.i...0-nighthawk/19426590

This is the one I bought. He has another couple.
    It felt great on the road.

Edit: I dont think that link is working. But its on Donedeal at the minute.

Year = '82.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

https://www.donedeal.i...0-nighthawk/19426590

This is the one I bought. He has another couple.
    It felt great on the road.

Edit: I dont think that link is working. But its on Donedeal at the minute.

Year = '82.

This?

Advertisement