Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250 or 400

Options
  • 18-10-2018 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at getting a bike and could do with some suggestions.
    I had an RG80 back in the day and have been hankering for another bike for the last few years.
    I've done the theory test and have the learners permit up to catagory A.
    I love the look of a parallel twin such as a honda cb and would like to mod it into a tracker/cafe style.
    I've read that inline 4 cylinder bikes have a less forgiving power curve so I'm not keen on those. I'm not looking for anything too fast/aggressive.
    Was considering a cb250 or similar but am concerned it would be too underpowered for me.
    I'm 6ft and 15+ stone. I looked a bit too big for the rg80 and that was a few stone ago.
    40yrs old this year too. Yes, it is probably a midlife crisis.
    Apologies for the long post.
    Price range...ideally under 2k.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭blade1

ODubhain82 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking at getting a bike and could do with some suggestions.
    I had an RG80 back in the day and have been hankering for another bike for the last few years.
    I've done the theory test and have the learners permit up to catagory A.
    I love the look of a parallel twin such as a honda cb and would like to mod it into a tracker/cafe style.
    I've read that inline 4 cylinder bikes have a less forgiving power curve so I'm not keen on those. I'm not looking for anything too fast/aggressive.
    Was considering a cb250 or similar but am concerned it would be too underpowered for me.
    I'm 6ft and 15+ stone. I looked a bit too big for the rg80 and that was a few stone ago.
    40yrs old this year too. Yes, it is probably a midlife crisis.
    Apologies for the long post.
    Price range...ideally under 2k.
    Thanks.

I'd go bigger again.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ODubhain82

blade1 wrote: »
    I'd go bigger again.

Any parallel twins come to mind?

Any parallel twins come to mind?
    Tdm900.
    Maybe a bit over your budget so Tdm 850.
    I would try and stretch to the 900 though if at all possible.
    Not going to win any beauty contest but lovely bike to ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Tdm900.

+1
    Love my 850, great bike to ride and a better looking bike that the 900 in my opinion :p
    The early 900 had a few issues so if you go for one of them try 05 up but they would be a bit over your budget.
    Try get a 99 to 01 850 as they don't have any of the problems of the earlier ones, the tdm has a cult following around the world and most owners actually look after them and load them with extras, have a look at http://www.carpe-tdm.net/
    Honest review here > https://classic-motorbikes.net/yamaha-tdm850-the-great-all-rounder/
    Another bike worth a mention is the V-Strom 650 but go ride a few bikes and see how they feel

Tdm900.

Looks good. Insurance might be a problem though on that size engine. I'm hoping for something I could turn into the attached photo but probably with more power.
    Am I wrong to overlook 4 cylinders?

• Advertisement

Probably, I'm a fan of twins myself but 4cyl are more refined.
    I see the route you want to take though.
    The only problem you may have is picking up sometime that isn't falling apart for reasonable kind of money.
    The word "classic" is used on all sorts of scrap heaps these days.

Ya, I've been watching Donedeal for a good while now and any cb400 twin that comes up is from the 80's. Dont mind getting the hands dirty (I'm an electrician) but would prefer something a bit newer. Newer seems to equal 4 cylinder. Is there a huge difference between 2 and 4 cylinders in terms of power? Bearing in mind my last bike, 20 years ago, had very little power to hurt yourself with.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Looks good. Insurance might be a problem though on that size engine. I'm hoping for something I could turn into the attached photo but probably with more power.

You will get cheap insurance on a tdm and with your height and weight it will be comfortable
    Most of the 250 or 400's will make you look like an elephant riding a tricycle and will feel small to you, personally I hate bikes that feel small and twins have something that I love so the tdm does it for me, go test ride some bikes :D

Elephant on a tricycle ....Hmmmm.....Not the look I'm going for:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

6 feet and 15 stone...every bike is going to look small...no offence..:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

6 feet and 15 stone...every bike is going to look small...no offence..:)

Jaysus you should see me on the DL650 then, 6' 2" & 18 stone :pac:

Jaysus you should see me on the DL650 then, 6' 2" & 18 stone :pac:

I'm picturing it now....I like it....:)

Right, 250s definately ruled out so. Where do we stand on the cylinders question?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Honda Deauville, 650 or 700.
    Twin. Shaft. ABS. Shelter. Heated grips.
    Let it go in two years or when you think of something better.

Appreciate all the help lads.
    I get the feeling that no one recons a 4 cylinder bikes is the way to go.
    So, thats out too. Definately want something forgiving.
    All the bikes suggested so far look like very sensible options.
    I did sit on a V Strom 650 a while back and it felt very comfy.
    My mate, who owned it, struggled a bit with its seat height. It seemed
    fine for me though.
    Its probably the best option so far I'd say.
    Love something more retro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Honda Deauville, 650 or 700.
    Twin. Shaft. ABS. Shelter. Heated grips.
    Let it go in two years or when you think of something better.

I'll add on to this one.

DL650 is a bit taller, so if you prefer a slightly lower ride take the Deauville. Had mine for just over a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

I’m 6’2 and 18 stone
    TDM 850 is ideal for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Get a 4 cylinder bike!

I joke of course, but I wouldn't rule out all IL4s, some you might want to rule out because they just aren't what you're looking for but there's no reason to rule them all out. Typically, the power band on an IL4 is higher in the rev range and there's a spike in the power delivery but it's all very manageable, usually twins have a more linear power band. There are exceptions to both.

The honda hornet is a very good naked bike that is almost cafe racer ish. It's an IL4 and the motor is great fun, more fun than most twins.

Hornet is a nice looking bike. 4 cylinders would make me a bit nervous.
    My last bike was a single with a very predictable power curve, ie none.
    The thing is, none of the suggested bikes makes me go "wow!".
    They are probably more practical and better handling etc than the retro
    cafe/ tracker style but if I'm going to take all the agro from the missus its

going to have to be for something I can't take my eyes off.

My problem is the style of bike I like is either going to be too small for me,
    as in a modern 250, or a genuine antique bigger cc bike.
    There doesn't seem to be a 2 cylinder cb style bike made anymore.
    I don't really fancy a cruiser/ harley lookalike.
    Maybe I should lose weight for a 250?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

At 6ft and 15 stone a 250 won't get you out of your driveway.

Do the ibt, see what you think then. I presume the bike is just for Sunday spins given you want a cafe racer style bike, the season is over now though so won't be many spins left until spring.

It's fine to have a preference on engine type, most people do but there's nothing to fear with an IL4, a hornet and an SV are about the same to 100kmph.

• Advertisement

Had my heart set on a 250. Not going to be much use for longer spins though.
    That's a good idea about the IBT. I was thinking about buying the bike first
    and doing it on that but might make more sense to do it first.

Yamaha SRX400 or 600......Honga Bros/Hawk again 400 or 600...great bikes and retro style....my preference would be an SRX but theyre hard to come by..

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I wouldn't get anything below 600cc unless it's a winter hack.

Sometimes it's difficult to make a decision as with biking your heart is also involved.

There are so many middle size bikes out which could be interesting for you : Yamaha XJ6 diversion, Kawasaki ER6F (from 2012 model), Honda Hornet 600 (from 2007 onwards ), Honda CBF 600 S, SUZUKI SV 650 (faired version ), BMW F 800 GT, KAWASAKI Versys 650, V-STROM 650, Kawasaki Z800.

There are other good bikes out there but they might be uncomfortable for your size.

If funds were no issue then I would upgrade to a BMW GS1250, the latest KAWASAKI VERSYS 1000 or the latest SUZUKI V-STROM 1000.

Back to reality I was offered to swap my 2007 V-STROM 650 for a 2003 V-STROM 1000 and I declined.
    The old V-STROM 1000 feels less refined and is very thirsty in comparison. I'm averaging about 5.5L/per 100 km while he gets only around 10L / per 100 km. Yes it has way more torque and a bit more top end speed but this doesn't justify the half of the mileage difference imo.

Get an old cx500/650 and do something like this :)

2iw7j49.jpg

Get an old cx500/650 and do something like this :)

2iw7j49.jpg

Turbo....;)

East cafe racer/ scrambler project AND cheap insurance....
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/xs-yamaha-750-special/20128109

Turbo....;)

East cafe racer/ scrambler project AND cheap insurance....
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/xs-yamaha-750-special/20128109

Like that one. Is something that old going to be a lot of work though? Also looks like a lot of cylinders lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Had my heart set on a 250. Not going to be much use for longer spins though.
    That's a good idea about the IBT. I was thinking about buying the bike first
    and doing it on that but might make more sense to do it first.

I don't think you'd be able to get insured before getting the IBT, therefore you can't use your own bike for IBT...

colm_c wrote: »
    I don't think you'd be able to get insured before getting the IBT, therefore you can't use your own bike for IBT...

Ya, I need to check that out. I could possibly trailer the bike to the IBT location? Looking at a 250 tomorrow obviously against all recomendations. Sorry all. Love the look of the parallel twin.
    So, yet another example of asking for advice then ignoring it.
    I appreciate all the help though.
    When I realise its too damn small I'll be going back though the suggestions. I'd say the sv650 would be a winner.
    I'll post some photos of whatever way I go.
    Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Go for the SV650. You can get them pretty cheap .Please leave the 250 alone..... you will regret it once you have tried out a 600cc + bike .

Well unless money is no objection :)

• Advertisement

MSVforever wrote: »
    Go for the SV650. You can get them pretty cheap .Please leave the 250 alone..... you will regret it once you have tried out a 600cc + bike .

Well unless money is no objection :)

You're right. The sv looks to be a good bike. I'll probably end up with one. I'm a sucker for the retro looking bikes. Have to get it out of my system.

Advertisement