Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change firearm from restricted to non-restricted.

Options
  • 17-10-2018 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Guys

Has anyone done the following.

I had a Beretta 1301 which I had on a restricted licence for Target Shotgun. Decided that it wasn't for me. I was going to use the gun for clays but its a fairly light gun for clays and the recoil for killing my shoulder.

When I asked a number of people including a firearms officer, the information I was given was that this could be put on a non-restricted licence once it had the plug fitted and only able to have 2+1.

Now I've sold the shotgun and the lad who is about to licence it ask the same question to a firearms office he knows and they story seems to be different. The FO suggest that he may need to have the gun proofed to be 2+1.

Has anyone done this before, I know we have all got conflicting information depending on who in the Gardai we speak to but any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LONG DRAG

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Guys

Has anyone done the following.

I had a Beretta 1301 which I had on a restricted licence for Target Shotgun. Decided that it wasn't for me. I was going to use the gun for clays but its a fairly light gun for clays and the recoil for killing my shoulder.

When I asked a number of people including a firearms officer, the information I was given was that this could be put on a non-restricted licence once it had the plug fitted and only able to have 2+1.

Now I've sold the shotgun and the lad who is about to licence it ask the same question to a firearms office he knows and they story seems to be different. The FO suggest that he may need to have the gun proofed to be 2+1.

Has anyone done this before, I know we have all got conflicting information depending on who in the Gardai we speak to but any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi I think it's the Garda who needs to be re - proofed, it's a load of B#####, if the plug is fitted it meets State law.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Yeah it just has to be "incapable" of holding more than three rounds. It doesn't have to be permanently restricted to three rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The proof house check that the gun functions safely and that it can withstand the pressure standards set out by the CIP which is 1050 bar +30%
    So they can send it to be reproofed but will achieve nothing because the proof house won't care how many cartridges can go in the tube..
    So, as usual, they are talking complete nonsense.
    Apart from the fact that Ireland is not a member of the CIP and requires no proof by law.
    Tell him to have a gunsmith restrict the mag and have him give him a letter stating the mag has been restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

Also see the new guidelines. It says nothing about 2+1. It states "magazine capacity which allows more than three (3) cartridges to be loaded in the shotgun are defined as restricted firearms."

It could be argued 3 in the mag and nothing in the tube. This is also a safety issue for semis/pumps.

Guidelines:
    "Shotguns for clay pigeon competitions are generally double-barrelled and of 12 gauge.
    Pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns are also used; however, shotguns which have prominent pistol grips or folding or telescopic stocks or a magazine capacity which allows more than three (3) cartridges to be loaded in the shotgun are defined as restricted firearms.

When considering applications for shotguns it should be noted that most applications will relate to single barrel, double barrel (both side-by-side and over and under) and semi-automatic models. These are primarily used for vermin control, hunting birds and small animals."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Hack12 wrote: »
    Also see the new guidelines. It says nothing about 2+1. It states "magazine capacity which allows more than three (3) cartridges to be loaded in the shotgun are defined as restricted firearms."

It could be argued 3 in the mag and nothing in the tube. This is also a safety issue for semis/pumps.

Guidelines:
    "Shotguns for clay pigeon competitions are generally double-barrelled and of 12 gauge.
    Pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns are also used; however, shotguns which have prominent pistol grips or folding or telescopic stocks or a magazine capacity which allows more than three (3) cartridges to be loaded in the shotgun are defined as restricted firearms.

When considering applications for shotguns it should be noted that most applications will relate to single barrel, double barrel (both side-by-side and over and under) and semi-automatic models. These are primarily used for vermin control, hunting birds and small animals."

They are only guidelines and not the law so it cant be argued.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Perhaps the Garda used the wrong terminology.

When he says proofed he may have meant "proved". IOW, and i've seen this been requested and done, you block the shotgun to hold no more than 3 rounds (unrestricted) and bring it to an RFD who gives you a letter to say they have checked and the gun is now an unrestricted firearm.

Asking for it to be proofed (tested fired in the UK, etc) is foolish and redundant.

The Minister cleared up the issue regarding pistols with SI 391/2015, but shotguns were not mentioned and so rely on SI 21/2008 as amended by SI 337/2009 which basically says the same thing as SI391/2015:
    shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—
    As you can see it says adapted or modified. It does not state who or how that adaption/modification is performed. so you can stick a stick in the chamber and it technically and legally would meet the criteria.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

^THIS ^ All you need is a gunsmiths letter saying its "incapable" of holding more than 3 rounds and off you go.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement