Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,132 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, the champions being a foregone conclusion render it all a bit pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

The most exciting element is the race for the winner in the East as I think it may shape the trajectory of the NBA moving forward.

There is a lot of moving parts with Kawhi decision, Butler/Harris signing + Simmons impact, Kyries decision and Giannis ability to lead a team.

I'm optimistic of a good post season on that side. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing Nuggets & Jazz in the post season.

I wonder how much the Knicks value would jump if the stars aligned and Kyrie, KD & Zion arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just to play devils advocate in regards to Warriors, even though they have been sleep walking through the season, they are playing a dangerous game, Houston have had their number this year and a healthy Paul will cause problems, they are owed a series against warriors after last year.
    I think the Bucks could be the team of the future, Warriors reign is coming close to an end, KD should leave soon and to be honest it doesn’t bother me, every got what they wanted, friends with benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

As it stands Houston would play Okc, ohh that’s tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Magic do it!

With a win over the Celtics, they've secured a playoff place.

• Advertisement

The Magic do it!

I was considering where Kemba may get his spot for All NBA in order to get his supermax but I don't see what spot he takes even if they make the playoffs

I think the following 6 players will be in the teams in that order. I wouldn't be 100% sure of Simmons/Kyrie but I'm not convinced Kemba has been the best of the pool of players that is behind him either.

1. Russell Westbrook
    1. James Harden
    2. Dame Lillard
    2. Steph Curry
    3. Kyrie Irving
    3. Ben Simmons

Donovan Mitchell
    Kemba Walker
    D'Angelo Russell
    CJ McCollum
    Jamal Murray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

The Magic do it!

The Fultz effect :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Westbrook first team All-NBA? Yeah he's averaging another triple-double but he's also having one of the most inefficient shooting years ever and can only get his team to the 6th seed despite playing alongside another apparent MVP candidate.

Westbrook first team All-NBA? Yeah he's averaging another triple-double but he's also having one of the most inefficient shooting years ever and can only get his team to the 6th seed despite playing alongside another apparent MVP candidate.

Who do you put ahead of him though? Steph has another superstar in KD and Dame is good but his numbers don't dwarf Westbrooks even with the inefficiency.
    I could get on board with either btw especially Steph but I just see Westbrooks triple double season getting him on it.

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    Who do you put ahead of him though? Steph has another superstar in KD and Dame is good but his numbers don't dwarf Westbrooks even with the inefficiency.
    I could get on board with either btw especially Steph but I just see Westbrooks triple double season getting him on it.

I've got Steph pretty clearly with Harden in the 1st team, think Dame is then locked in for 2nd and there's probably a conversation to be had about Kyrie vs Russ for the other spot on the 2nd team. Also think Bradley Beal might end up sneaking onto the 3rd team.

• Advertisement

Also really great piece by Kyle Korver about white privilege and the recent incidents like the Utah fan abusing Westbrook, every should give it a read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kyle-korver-utah-jazz-nba

I've got Steph pretty clearly with Harden in the 1st team, think Dame is then locked in for 2nd and there's probably a conversation to be had about Kyrie vs Russ for the other spot on the 2nd team. Also think Bradley Beal might end up sneaking onto the 3rd team.

I think the narrative around Kyrie not necessarily making his team better goes against him to be honest so I think 3rd team is the ceiling for him.
    I like Bradley Beal quite a lot but you can't make All NBA if you can't get your team even close to playoffs in the East

• Registered Users Posts: 36,132 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Also really great piece by Kyle Korver about white privilege and the recent incidents like the Utah fan abusing Westbrook, every should give it a read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kyle-korver-utah-jazz-nba

Brilliant piece, fair play to him.

The Lakers crazy season isn't over just yet:

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1115780743484067840?s=21
    Magic Johnson has stepped down from President of Basketball Ops of the Lakers.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1115781979138547712?s=20
    Magic Johnson says he likes to be free to congratulate players such as Russell Westbrook when he hit the 20–20-20 mark. Says he couldn’t be himself and he hasn’t informed Jeanie Buss yet.

https://twitter.com/billoram/status/1115781948780175360?s=19
    Stunning. Magic says he has not told Jeanie his decision.

“Somebody’s going to have to tell my boss because I knew I couldn’t be face-to-face and tell her. ... I couldn’t stand to tell her.”

Says what she had in him was someone she could trust and be loyal.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1115784544089780229
    Lakers coaching staff fully expected to be fired in hours after the final game of the season. They had believed they were gone for months. Now? Magic quits in public, saying he's too scared to tell Jeanie Buss face-to-face. What an embarrassing episode for a historic franchise.

https://twitter.com/billoram/status/1115786973145325568?s=20
    Magic: “Do I think Rob is the right GM? That’s a decision Jeanie has to make.”

Well that's a complete surprise to be honest. If you're to take his comments at face value, his personality probably never suited the role.
    I can't quite believe he didn't tell Jennie Buss, thats incredible if true.

Where do they go from here? It doesn't endear any superstars to join in the summer.
    I'd speculate that Magic got the word from AD's camp that he's willing to sign elsewhere and he knows the Pelicans prefer another package.

I guess they'll be fighting it out in the Kemba Walker + Jimmy Butler sweepstakes.

All that's left for them to do now is trade LBJ

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    [...]
    All that's left for them to do now is trade LBJ

LMAO good luck surviving the PR nightmare if you try :pac:

Last night was one of the most eventful nights in the NBA in some time. Magic quitting, Crawford going for 51, Dirk officially announcing his retirement, Dirk and Wade both dropping 30, Detroit's comeback, Donovan Mitchell balling out, Paul George OKC vs Rockets, Anthony Davis wearing a that's all folks tshirt. Crazy.

Can't say I'm too shocked by Magic quitting, but it is surprising how he went about it.

Angliru wrote: »
    Last night was one of the most eventful nights in the NBA in some time. Magic quitting, Crawford going for 51, Dirk officially announcing his retirement, Dirk and Wade both dropping 30, Detroit's comeback, Donovan Mitchell balling out, Paul George OKC vs Rockets, Anthony Davis wearing a that's all folks tshirt. Crazy.

Can't say I'm too shocked by Magic quitting, but it is surprising how he went about it.

And you haven't even mentioned the Lakers losing to a buzzer beating 3 from Moe Harkless!

Btw that's 2 MJ records broken in one night: Crawford (oldest player to get 50) and Dirk (oldest player to get 30)

There's so much to still be decided tonight with playoff seeding. The only locked in positions are the Warriors at 1 and the Jazz at 5.

So Portland went into their game tonight with plans to lose and face Utah in the first round instead of OKC, instead they ended up beating the Kings while only playing a 6 man rotation of Anfernee Simons, Gary Trent Jr., Jake Layman, Skal Labissiere, Meyers Leonard, and Zach Collins. 24th pick in last year's draft Anfernee Simons put up 37/6/9 going 13-21 from the field and 7-11 from 3. That also makes him only the third teenager in NBA history to put up 37+ points and 9+ assists in a game, next to LeBron and KD.

So the final playoff matchups are as follows:

Milwaukee Bucks (1) | Detroit Pistons (8)
    Toronto Raptors (2) | Orlando Magic (7)
    Philadelphia 76ers (3) | Brooklyn Nets (6)
    Boston Celtics (4) | Indiana Pacers(5)

Golden State Warriors (1) | LA Clippers (8)
    Denver Nuggets (2) | San Antonio Spurs (7)
    Portland Trail Blazers (3) | Oklahoma City Thunder (6)
    Houston Rockets (4) | Utah Jazz (5)

The biggest news here is that the Rockets get squeezed down to 4th thanks to Portland having the tiebreaker meaning they're gonna face GSW in the second round. One of Portland, OKC, Denver, and San Antonio are guaranteed to make the WCF.

I could see any one of those 4 teams making the finals for various reasons.
    OKC would be the favourites I think but I'd prefer to see the Nuggets make it.

I think the top 4 in the east get through the 1st round matches. Funny I think the only one that may run into difficulties in their 1st round match is the Bucks. The Pistons with Blake & Drummond may give them some big men match up issues.
    This Bucks team isn't playoff proven but Blakes been there before. I think if the Pistons were a big price to win, I'd have a small bet on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Celtics just lost Marcus Smart for 4-6 weeks, goddamn :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Disaster rotations have not worked well without him I assume Jalen brown straight in

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Celtics just lost Marcus Smart for 4-6 weeks, goddamn

Not good news at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Wife is away tomorrow night, so the start times for 6rs V Nets and Raps v Magic are just perfect.

Well... there it is

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1116793416979861504
    The Lakers and Luke Walton have parted ways.

Time really is a flat circle:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1116794334781657089
    Ty Lue is a strong frontrunner for the Lakers coaching job, league sources tell ESPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Philly looked horrific aside from Jimmy Buckets who was all heart...meanwhile Raptors looking sluggish and Magic in a fine rhythm.

So we're one night into the playoffs and we've already had 3 upsets, Orlando, Brooklyn, and San Antonio all stealing game 1 from the higher seeds.

• Advertisement

So we're one night into the playoffs and we've already had 3 upsets, Orlando, Brooklyn, and San Antonio all stealing game 1 from the higher seeds.

I'm not overly surprised by the Spurs result, it's Pop & co versus a very inexperienced team. They could easily win that due to their experience.

Raptors & 76ers showing exactly what their issues are once again, their PGs aren't suited to playoff basketball. Lowry hasn't got the ability to create space on offense anymore due to his declining age.

Simmons is just sagged off of by any defenders and dared to shoot. His minutes need to be completed staggered with Embiid.
    When they play together, Simmons defender simply helps on Embiid and using Embiid in the high post/pick & pop situations does create space for Simmons down low but his post game is not good enough at this stage to justify leaving Embiid hunting for a 33% 3pt shot on the perimeter.

Brett Brown should have this stuff figured out already, spent too much time jockeying for playoff position than getting his line ups sorted. Still messing with rotations until last week.
    It might be time to seriously consider sitting Simmons for McConnell, far better balance and leaves Butler more on the ball. Tell Harris & Reddick to simply catch and shoot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement