Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Qwerty13 and Teach30 - enough.

Qwerty, it’s no business of yours how much someone spends on their own wedding, and it has no impact on whether or not they are entitled to fret at this uncertain time. It’s all relative to circumstances.

Teach, while I appreciate that you clearly come from an exceptionally privileged family and you are simply posting within your frame of reference, it would be a good idea to stop and reflect on how your posts come across to others, and maybe think twice about the level of financial detail you’re sharing. While it’s not your fault, many people posting here may spend less on their entire wedding than you have on your photographer, so it’s likely to get people’s backs up when you fret about being out €1500 in one post, and in the next you query buying top-of-the-line designer shoes that most of us could only dream of owning.

Any more bickering between you two will lead to sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Some serious head wobbles need to happen here. My wedding day was marred by a tragic event the week before, we got on with it and 11 years on I'm just grateful we had a day with the ones who matter. My sincere condolences to the poster who recently lost their father, everyone else try and keep a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Was due to get married on may 29th this year and we moved it yesterday to December 18th. All suppliers and hotel were all so helpful and nearly all moved to new date with no hassle.
    Such a relief now not having to worry about wedding with all this going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

With shops being closed and suppliers not meeting with people just wondering how long would it take to get remaining bits for a wedding sorted. Bridesmaid Dresses, suits, invitations and flowers I think are all we really need.
    Could these be done in say two weeks?
    Really can’t face prospect of moving the date as I hated planning it so far and just want it done with now. Wedding end of June.

Teach30 wrote: »
    With shops being closed and suppliers not meeting with people just wondering how long would it take to get remaining bits for a wedding sorted. Bridesmaid Dresses, suits, invitations and flowers I think are all we really need.
    Could these be done in say two weeks?
    Really can’t face prospect of moving the date as I hated planning it so far and just want it done with now. Wedding end of June.
    If you could get them mostly online ya you could have it done in 2 weeks.
    But in shops I dont think so. Most suit shops shut already round my area and likely a lot of clothes shops be shut frm next week on. Not sure about flower shops but probly similar.
    Invitations you will get easy online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

For flowers, I'd say you could get this done remotely, consultations over skype for example. Maybe not with small local shops, but with suppliers who are still currently functioning online.

I'd consider artificial flowers too though (I mean good quality custom made silk ones, not the cheap plastic ones you find in the shops :P). If things don't improve by June and you needed to postpone your date, it's one less thing to worry about. You can just keep the flowers for your rearranged date. But if you go with fresh flowers, you could lose your deposit if the supplier isn't available for your new date. Just something to consider.

Here's hoping things will go back to normal sooner rather than later though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Postponed ours for two years over this (couldn't get summer wedding at venue for 2021 and she really wants it), she tells me we now need to do intent to marry again and fork over another 200 quid when the time comes as there is a 6 month window or something. Anyone else who has postponed can confirm/deny ?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

That's correct. I enquired about ours, it looks like we'll be postponing until October this year. It's 5 months from our original date so we don't have to, but anything over 6 months would have meant doing it again.

As regards to the 200 euro marriage registration form, we postponed our wedding for over 6 months after our origanal wedding date but due to coronavirus they are just going reissue form for new date free of charge.
    You do have make a new appointment though to call into them and sign new form but no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Our hotel had asked us to hold tight for early may but we are going to move the date now. Willing to go mid wk in a few months time to many elderly aunts and uncles in the family

• Advertisement

Our hotel had asked us to hold tight for early may but we are going to move the date now. Willing to go mid wk in a few months time to many elderly aunts and uncles in the family

We're 2nd May, I'm pretty confident it's not going ahead, and the hotel and most suppliers have reserved us a back up date, we were lucky to get Saturday 3rd October.
    Hotel won't fully cancel May yet though, which is a little frustrating, but by next week we should have definite answers.
    We'll have lost our band and ceremony music though, they weren't available for October, do once I get confirmation I'll start looking for new music and send out 'change the date' notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Shelli2 wrote: »
    We're 2nd May, I'm pretty confident it's not going ahead, and the hotel and most suppliers have reserved us a back up date, we were lucky to get Saturday 3rd October.
    Hotel won't fully cancel May yet though, which is a little frustrating, but by next week we should have definite answers.
    We'll have lost our band and ceremony music though, they weren't available for October, do once I get confirmation I'll start looking for new music and send out 'change the date' notices.

We are the weekend after. We had a few suppliers into us already asking about our postponed date and have no answer for them. So going to try to push the hotel for an update next week. We are willing to go mid week with the new date so we should keep most of our suppliers. Im sure many of them will be delighted with the mid week business when they will be doing their best to recover the losses from this

Rearranging yet again!

Have just found out I'm pregnant, so our financial priorities have completely changed.

I'm hoping to go ahead on the same date in October but we are scaling back to a small ceremony and an after party with finger food.

I'm delighted on all fronts to be honest.
    I got caught up in the big wedding, and it was a little because I know my Dad wanted a big formal wedding. But I also know he'd be thrilled to have a new grandchild, and he would understand our decision.
    This new plan is so much more our style and it'll be a lovely relaxed day.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

Hi all,

so we are planning to get married in October this year, have made contact with hotel and have not had much help from them so far.

Also, we have not yet managed to get the pre marriage course done or the meeting with the registrar, are these still going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

ep71 wrote: »
    Hi all,

so we are planning to get married in October this year, have made contact with hotel and have not had much help from them so far.

Also, we have not yet managed to get the pre marriage course done or the meeting with the registrar, are these still going ahead?

What help do you need from the hotel?

Pre-marriage can be done right up until a couple of weeks before the wedding. Call your priest and ask what he wants.

I’ve heard appointments for the green folder can be done via post with meeting done as soon as they reopen. Call the HSE to confirm.

We've officially cancelled with the hotel for October and have booked a ceremony in Dublin city centre instead.

Sat 3rd October should now be available in Summerhill House in case anyone is looking.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

All the premarriage courses are off for the time being given that they involve gatherings.
    The hotel might be hesitant to give you a date in October because a lot of people are cancelling their Aug & September dates.
    Our priest didn't want us to do the online one as he felt it was just box ticking but I'm going to ring him tomorrow to see if he will accept the online one now. Or if the diocese has an alternative to offer.
    Realistically, restrictions of some sort are likely to remain in place until a vaccine is widely available, so weddings might only be permitted to go ahead in their most basic form and no gathering of more than a certain number. I'm going to be emailing the HSE ( meeting in March got cancelled as well as our marriage course) to find out what options there might be for couples going forward.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Well, I checked the HSE website and tbh, I'm not happy at all. They are saying that people
    a) can't make an appointment
    b) can only attend the appointment that you can't get, in person
    c) not to plan any weddings until 'after the pandemic' - like, when a vaccine is discovered or what??

I started a thread about it in legal discussion:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113214731#post113214731

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just wondering was anyone here due to be married in City Hall ?
    What have they done for you , have the rescheduled for next year or just given your money back or what ?

Neyite wrote: »
    Well, I checked the HSE website and tbh, I'm not happy at all. They are saying that people
    a) can't make an appointment
    b) can only attend the appointment that you can't get, in person
    c) not to plan any weddings until 'after the pandemic' - like, when a vaccine is discovered or what??

I started a thread about it in legal discussion:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113214731#post113214731

I just rang births deaths and marriage registration and they emailed me all the documentation to submit by post and said that I would need to attend the office at some stage prior to the wedding ie. before October to sign and present any additional documents.

They will accept the postal docs as formal notice.

No reply to call or email from Hotel for past week.

• Advertisement

Batgurl wrote: »
    What help do you need from the hotel?

Pre-marriage can be done right up until a couple of weeks before the wedding. Call your priest and ask what he wants.

I’ve heard appointments for the green folder can be done via post with meeting done as soon as they reopen. Call the HSE to confirm.

Was just hoping for some info on hotel re smaller numbers, assuming family from UK or elsewhere will be less likely to travel, government restrictions may mean smaller numbers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We are due for October 2020. Herself is from the USA, and therefore we are now extremely concerned her family will not be able to travel. Our provisional guest list was also approx 1/3 USA visitors.

We are determined to go ahead with our wedding in October - we have zero intent to postpone. We now are beginning to resign ourselves to the thought that it will be a bare minimum wedding & the possibility neither family can attend. Thankfully, we completed our Accord course in February.

In terms of suppliers etc, the hotel as closed for now and we have paid two tranches of deposit. We have not heard from photographer or DJ. We have not made arrangements for suit, flowers etc (we were due to do these the weekend lockdown-lite was brought in).

We have friends in the US due to get married this Friday and have opted to livestream. This is echoed by another person we know who brought theirs forward to May and are livestreaming. A third couple we know have opted to postpone to early 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Was just hoping for some info on hotel re smaller numbers, assuming family from UK or elsewhere will be less likely to travel, government restrictions may mean smaller numbers anyway.

Hotels are probably working on skeleton staff at the moment as they are closed and are likely working through the weddings most immediately impacted.

I understand it’s frustrating but just be patient and send your contact an email and I’m sure they can get back to you when they can.

Also worth remembering they have no more knowledge on numbers that may be permitted etc than you so it’s very possible they won’t be able to answer your questions yet anyway.

I just rang births deaths and marriage registration and they emailed me all the documentation to submit by post and said that I would need to attend the office at some stage prior to the wedding ie. before October to sign and present any additional documents.

They will accept the postal docs as formal notice.

No reply to call or email from Hotel for past week.

Yes I had a similar conversation about a month ago just before the schools shut - the offices were closing then - after lockdown, when they reopen, they'll finish the process with a face-to-face appointment.

I suppose my concern is that what if (and I appreciate that everyone is in the dark at the moment) the lockdown drags on, surely they have to come up with some sort of alternative. I wonder if all countries in lockdown have just stopped all marriage licences being granted or are they using video or email to process and approve marriage applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-all-mass-gatherings-in-state-set-to-be-banned-until-august-1.4234326
    All mass gathering will be banned until August at the earliest, under plans set to be announced by the Government due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

It is understood the decision was taken by Ministers at a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning.

As of now, the article does not define "mass gathering." When the March 12 closures were announced (schools etc), mass gatherings indoors of > 100 people were to be cancelled.

We have about 300 on list so at moment unsure if it will go ahead. However would people still want to attend? Mixture of age groups a good few elderly including parents.

Is it worth the risk? If we cancel we lose everything we had booked including hotel deposit and hotel has no good dates left. I think it might be best to cancel. I don’t mind waiting another year but fiancé does. Our heads are wrecked.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Pen Rua wrote: »
    As of now, the article does not define "mass gathering." When the March 12 closures were announced (schools etc), mass gatherings indoors of > 100 people were to be cancelled.

It seems to have been updated, as it now says mass gatherings means those with over 5,000 people. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they lower this number closer to the time.

I wouldn't bank on the restrictions number as that can go any way.

I do think that a lot of people will avoid a wedding unless it's a tiny one until a vaccine is widely available.

Neyite wrote: »
    I wouldn't bank on the restrictions number as that can go any way.

I do think that a lot of people will avoid a wedding unless it's a tiny one until a vaccine is widely available.

Funny anyone I spoke to is only mad for a session and they’d go alright. Parents don’t want it happening though which is fair enough it would be terrible if someone died after it so hopefully government will cap numbers for us.

• Advertisement

You are right, on one hand everyone will be mad for a session but would probably still think carefully about attending and end up regretfully declining.

I'm not sure if I personally would be even comfortable with a government cap on numbers. None of us want our weddings to be a disaster. I certainly don't want my wedding to be remembered because that was the one where half of the people brought Covid 19 home from it. So I think I'd wait until the risk is really over - which I'd say is next year at least?

Advertisement