Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Calling

Options
  • 16-10-2018 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi all

I entered the London ballot and got lucky. So I’ve used this opportunity to return to running with a real focus. I haven’t ran in 2.5 years or so. The ultimate goal will be sub 2.35 in Dublin 2019. I know that while I have a good general fitness I don’t have the necessary running condition to attack London in April.

I’m a cyclist at heart but probably have better long-term potential as a runner. I have had brief stints running, notably in 2008-2010 when I was training for triathlons and 2015-2016 when I didn’t have access to a bike.

The idea of this training log is to allow other people see what kind of cross-over between sports is possible, motivate me by having my goals in the public domain, and hopefully also get some advice from those more knowledgeable.

I think it might also be useful for someone coming back from a lengthy injury as I really have to recondition my body for the stresses of running. I will be cross-training quite a bit in a way to increase volume without increasing injury risks. The cross training will be predominantly swimming and cycling. Specific injuries I will be trying to avoid are plantar fasciitis and a current knee problem that flares up when I cycle.

I plan to update this log once a week with the training I’ve done. Feel free to ask any questions in the meantime.

Goals for the next 15 months are so:

Sub 2.35 Dublin marathon 2019

Sub 16 5k

32.30 10k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Below I list my historic pbs. I believe I was faster than all of them at the time but things like illness and injuries get in the way. Or at least that’s just the thought process of an eternal optimist that is making a comeback, striving for improvement. Anyway, I’m sure most runners have similar feelings about their pbs, but they are what they are.

5k 16.12 2010

10k 33.32 2010

HM 1.14.50 2016

M 3.10.xx 2008

Rough training plan:

While Dublin 2019 is the ultimate goal, I plan on racing all BHAA events in the build-up. I will use the Seeley Cup in early December to evaluate a goal time for London. I’ll also enter the Armagh 3k and attempt to get as close to 9 mins as possible (overly ambitious).

October

3 jogs a week building up to 12k. All roughly 5 mins/km

3 swims a week. Like running, I have no swim conditioning so will be easing in to this to avoid any shoulder problems.

November

4 jogs a week. Still no speed work as I just want to get the legs acclimatized. Will probably be running 2 of these runs a 4 mins/km and the others at 5 mins/km. One long run of 16k once a week.

3 swims a week. Will be doing more interval type work in the pool with the aim of avoiding injury.

December

4 or 5 runs a week. If I can cycle without my knee flaring up it will be 4 runs. One cycle a week of about 2-3hrs with various efforts interspersed throughout.

3 swims a week. Will be doing more interval type work in the pool with the aim of avoiding injury.

Week 1

8-14 October

Tuesday 6km run 50/50 grass/asphalt

Wednesday easy swim

Thursday 3.2km on treadmill. Legs were still sore from Tuesday

Friday easy swim

Sunday 6km run 50/50 grass/asphalt

Sunday’s run was the same loop as Tuesday. My legs felt much more spritely than Tuesday and I knew I was running a bit faster. Cardio wise, it felt tougher and unsurprisingly I was 90 secs quicker over the loop. Also no DOMS from Sunday in contrast to Tuesday.

On Thursday I ran on the treadmill as legs were still sore from Tuesday and I thought the treadmill would be more forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hate lads like you who run 16 mins for 5k off 3 runs a week and I struggle to break 19 off 6 days!!!! Best of luck with your log, few about here with similar time goals to yourself.

Week 2
    15-21 October

So another low volume and intensity week. Wanted to get another run in but I left my trainers in work and only have one pair at them minute. So no running over the weekend.

Monday
    Swimming

Tuesday

Wednesday
    Swimming

Friday
    15mins on the treadmill at 14kph

• Advertisement

Week 3
    22-28 Oct

Monday
    Swimming

Tuesday
    8k run
    Didnt run with a watch but know I ran this a good bit faster than planned. My legs paid for it on tuesday/wednesday.

Wednesday
    Swimming

Thursday
    Easy 5k around 5mins/km

Friday
    V easy swim

Saturday
    8k total incorporating parkrun. Dipped under 18mins which gives me confidence I can crack 35mins in my 10k test in December. But legs are suffering after today's run.

Sunday
    Ill go into town to watch the marathon and get a swim in.

I've scheduled a physio session for next week to get my knee examined. Still no hassle from it while running, but it's not right. Also will be starting a weekly pilates course for strength and conditioning.

Legs were awful for a few days after my 5k effort on Saturday!

But my new cheap decathlon runners arrived. I bought three of the same pair so I can wear them in evenly. Really like them considering they were so cheap. Also fairly light.

Anyway physio said for me not to cycle for the next few months and keep the running pace low so as to reduce the knee flexion. Also have to start doing a lot of squats and deadlifts.

Wednesday
    10k hilly run. Legs still heavy and really felt my form dipping in the last 1k
    Also got a swim in

Friday
    Good swim. 15*100m. Intervals off 2mins, was getting about 15sec rest each time

Saturday
    14k run with an easy parkrun thrown in the middle. 4.45 per km for the entire run.

Sunday
    14k run easy at 4.55 per km

Will be trying to up the number of runs to 4 a week from here on

Week 5
    5-11 October

Overall a poor week due to general life. It started with so much promise though!

Monday
    Started my squatting regime in the gym followed up with a swim

Tuesday
    First ever pilates class. Not sure what to make of it yet.
    6k run. Legs were very heavy after Monday's weights. I was surprised that I was able to run at an acceptable pace considering my difficulty walking.

Wednesday
    Swim

Nothing for the remainder of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I missed this log til now - quite lofty goals that you set there.

Regarding the 2:35 Dublin 2019 goal - In terms of milestones along the way, what do you see being the main 'targets'??

Also - are you self coached??

Zico's log might be a good place to look as hes now a sub 2:30 marathoner from a Tri background.

Yep self coached and dont run with a club.

I suppose the main stepping stone for me will be to execute a good marathon in London. I feel like I understand the shorter races but cant get the marathon. Whether that be the training before hand or the race it self I'm not sure.

Yes I found his blog about a week ago. A proper inspiration. I'll definitely be using his blog to benchmark myself off once I start doing some proper training.

• Advertisement

I ran the BHAA xc today. That was death by a thousand cuts.

I felt like I paced that terribly. Something that I usually rate myself quite highly at. I saw a guy that ran 2.50 in Dublin so decided he was my target man. The problem was that he went off like the clappers and I decided to follow. I just ended up going backwards after 1 lap.

Average pace was 3.40
    km 1 - 3.24
    km 2 - 3.38
    km 3 - 3.49
    km 4 - 3.45
    km 5 - 3.37
    km 6 - 3.48

I've also found just realised that the Seeley cup is on a fortnight from here. Might be difficult to run a 35min 10k then.

Week 6
    12 - 18 November

Monday
    Squatting session in the gym in the morning
    11k jog in the evening

Tuesday
    Missed my pilates class
    Got an easy swim in the evening

Wednesday
    Easy swim

Thursday
    6k jog

Saturday
    8k total. 6k xc (see post above) + 2k wu

Sunday
    17k jog at 5min/km pace
    Ran with heartrate monitor. I knew by my form that I was suffering in the last 2k but HR helped confirm. Was running comfortably in the 140-145bpm range up until about 13-14k and then it drifted higher. Was around 155bpm for last 2k. Still, it's a lot lower than Saturday!

Mileage is slowly ramping up over the course of the weeks. All my runs being at 5mins/km is really hurting me when I attempt to race though. However, I plan on maintaining this pace for training until the new year.

I've got some pain in the arches of my feet. I had them while running on Sunday. I'm going to take a bit of rest and focus on swimming and do more strength work. No point in building up too quick just to injure myself.

Week 7
    19 - 25 November

Monday
    Gym squats and strengthening

Tuesday
    Swimming
    My pilates was cancelled

Wednesday
    Swimming

Saturday
    Swimming

Sunday
    13k hilly. Still running around 5mins/kmSame route I did a few weeks ago but with a few added kms at the end. Felt so much more comfortable.

Had a bit of a head cold on Friday. Haven't managed to shift it. Swimming and running over the weekend probably not the best idea but I took it fairly easily. Overall not as much done this week as I'd hoped.

I have entered the Aware 10k instead of the Seeley cup as it gives me an extra week of prep. Will be interesting to see what pace I can hold.

Week
    26 November - 2 December

That head cold lingered so didn't do much. I know on the bike I've made the mistake of training through sometimes when I should have just taken a rest. Why train now when the goals are a long way away.

Tuesday
    Pilates

Sunday
    Hilly 13k, felt pretty good. Run in that 4.30-5 mins per km pace. Could open it up for the last few k which I haven't felt able to do on any other run so far.

Got my first real test this weekend. 10k in the phoenix park. I dont think I can run 35mins atm but I'm still going to go out on that sort of pace and see what way the cards fall.

Euppy wrote: »
    Got my first real test this weekend. 10k in the phoenix park. I dont think I can run 35mins atm but I'm still going to go out on that sort of pace and see what way the cards fall.

Well I called it right. 35.31 today at the Aware 10k in Phoenix Park

What I'm most happy with was my initial pacing and race execution. I was very disappointed with this in the BHAA xc. I run with a cycling computer that doesn't accurately give a pace when running so I rely on feel for the first 1km or so to make sure my pacing is right. I was on perfect pace and found someone to run with. I basically sat on this guy for as long as I could and used him to shelter from the wind. First 5k was covered in 17.35. On the second lap he started to weave like a cyclist trying to shake someone off their wheel. I had to tell him I was no threat and wouldn't be challenging him in the sprint. I lost contact with him around 8km and just tried to keep moving. Often for me it is the legs that give up but this time they felt great. The heart and lungs just couldn't keep the oxygen flowing.

It's not quite where I envisaged myself when I started this blog in October but it's not too far off either. Considering all my runs have been at pretty much 5 mins/km pace other than 1 park run, 1 xc and today's race, I don't think I can be disappointed. Particularly with the windy conditions today.

I think that once I start some intervals and tempo runs in January, my times will fall fairly quickly so I'm not too worried.

I was using this to gauge what kind of target time I'll aim for at London. I have 2.45 in my head. I think a 2.40 is possible but I'd prefer be a little more cautious and focus on executing a good race. Also, I want to recover quickly from it as Dublin is the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Euppy wrote: »
    I’m a cyclist at heart but probably have better long-term potential as a runner. I have had brief stints running, notably in 2008-2010 when I was training for triathlons and 2015-2016 when I didn’t have access to a bike.

Welcome back. Penny finally dropped today with the results (pretty sure we trained together a bit in college back in your previous stint)

Fair play on result today man. Not the fastest of days or courses.

Welcome back. Penny finally dropped today with the results (pretty sure we trained together a bit in college back in your previous stint)

Fair play on result today man. Not the fastest of days or courses.

If I've got the right guy, pretty sure you brought me down to a race in Wexford back then too.

Week 9
    3-9 December

Monday
    Squatting session
    Easy swim

Tuesday
    Pilates

Wednesday
    5k on treadmill at 4mins/km
    Hamstring and glutes really suffering from the previous two days strengthening
    V Easy Swim

Thursday
    10k at 5min/km

Saturday
    12k including 10k race (35.31)

Sunday
    15k very easy. Struggled on this run. Combination of tired legs, wind, hunger.

Overall a good week. Unlike last time I managed this mileage, I still feel good. Hopefully this means I can start to build the mileage slowly.

• Advertisement

Week 10
    10-16 December

Well that didn't go to plan. No running at all but most of the Christmas festivities now out of the way.

Monday
    Squatting session
    Easy swim

Tuesday
    Pilates

Wednesday
    Swim

17-31 December

Urgh, another few weeks of little to no training.

I have put together a training programme starting on Monday. 17 weeks flat out until London. I really needed to put something structured on paper as I found to my detriment over the last few weeks.

I've decided not to enter the Armagh 3k as I haven't done any speed work and now have a marathon plan in place.

Anyway, A longish trail race tomorrow and then boring structured training from here on!

I ran the Castlewellan Christmas Cracker on 29 December. The course is something between an IMRA race and an xc race. I’d say an extreme xc at 13.5k in length. It’s a pairs race and we managed 7th of 750 teams, with a nice sprint finish with another team to end. It took us just under the hour.

The race started just outside the town before doing a small loop in the town and then entering the forest. I loved the part where we exited the park onto a boithrin, followed that down to a farm and went through their yard and into their fields to eventually come to a fire road back in the forest. A great race that I’d recommend to everyone but not one that is well suited to me as I hate anything with downhills and courses with mad non-even surfaces.

Happy with my performance as I still felt I had more to give once we got back onto forest roads or flat trails but just couldn’t handle the off-camber fields.

I seem to have suffered some swelling in my right arch though. I suppose it is the added impact of running down very steep hills.

I've bought some Sof Sole Plantar Fasciitis Orthotic Insoles with the hope that these will help.

First week of structured training. I'm basically following Hal Higdons Advanced 1 training programme with some minor alterations.

It's a lot more frequent running than I had initially planned but my knee is still not allowing me to cycle and I think the lack of consistent mileage is what held me back at the marathon distance before.

Monday: 5k easy. Legs sore from Saturday's race
    Tuesday: 8k hilly but easy. Legs loosening up.
    Wednesday: 5k easy.
    Thursday: Gym AM. Treadmill PM. My foot was giving me real hassle on Thursday. My right arch was swollen. Debated running but decided to do it on treadmill. Session was 5mins@12kph, 3mins@13kph, 2mins@14kph, 2mins@15kph, 1min@16kph, 1min@17kph, 1min@18kph. Then descend in the same intervals. Tough 30min session. Also found my hamstring struggled with this following the morning gym.
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 8k easy incorporating local parkrun
    Sunday: 16k easy. Average HR was 144bpm (My max is 193). Arch has been strapped up for the last two days and feels much better. No issues when running.

Weekly total: 49k

Second week of structured training. I'm finding 6 days a week easy enough to manage so far but I'm keeping all the easy runs very easy!

Monday am: 5k easy
    Tuesday am: Pilates
    Tuesday pm: 11k easy
    Wednesday am: 5k easy
    Thursday pm: 7k with intervals. Programme had 4*800m. I planned on doing these around 2.45ish. However my loop in the park was much longer and taking 3.50ish to run so I did 3*loop + half a loop. 1min rest in between intervals.
    Saturday am: 11k including bhaa xc. Happy with how I paced it. I didn't contest the finish due to the steep downhill finish and I find that's when I get injured or sore legs. A bit disappointed though as I thought I'd have a bit better speed by this point in training and should be challenging the lads that came in a few spots ahead of me.
    Sunday am: 14k in an hour. Did this before breakfast. Legs felt a little tired but absolutely no soreness from previous day's race which was great. I bought some cheap generic insoles. This was my first run with them. Really liked them. Particularly the gel in the heel is very comfortable when some of your strides are a bit lazier and lacking in form.
    Got them here. Very cheap. Very interested to see how the perform in the long run.
    https://www.shoeinsoles.co.uk/sof-sole-plantar-fasciitis-orthotic-insoles-for-men.html

Weekly total: 53k

I havent updated this for the last fortnight. I haven't ran over the period as I've got a bad enough ankle injury. Still cant walk normally on it.

It came as I was out for a 10k run. Slow pace and didn't twist it. Was it the insoles? Quite possibly.

Been out of action for 3.5 weeks. Ill be out for another 3 at least anyway. Stress fracture.

I've deferred my London spot until 2020.

Well that took a while to recover from and then some more time to refind the motivation to get back into a proper training routine.

In fairness, I tried to focus on rehabbing a separate cycling injury instead of getting straight back to running.

I've been doing a little running with no structure since June but in the last few weeks I've started to find a routine so thought I should start to update this.

London 2020 is the goal. I am entered for Dublin and will target 2.45 to get a preferential start in London. For the Dublin build up I am entered for the Kilcock 10 mile, the Dublin half and the Meath 3/4.

Week 1 21-28 July

Sunday
    18.5k slow steady run all on grass

Monday
    1hr steady on bike.

Tuesday
    Intervals - 2x400, 1x1km, 2x400, 1x1k, 1x400

Wednesday
    1hr cycle home. Realised knee still isn't right and I wont use cycling as part of training

Thursday
    11k slow steady, 50% on grass

Friday
    Pilates

Saturday
    5k parkrun in 17.30 plus warm up and cool down

• Advertisement

Week 2 28 July-3 Aug

Sunday
    18.5k slow steady all on grass

Tuesday
    Intervals - 7x600 on grass. Loop was slightly long according to watches. Averaged 2mins flat for each interval

Thursday
    11k at 4.15 average. 50% on grass. Got a new running watch and hr strap so was varying pace marginally to see how hr responded. Missed my train home so went on to elliptical trainer for an easy additional 20mins and then a good stretch.

Friday
    Pilates and swimming. 15x75m. Interval took 1.15 on average with 45sec rest

Saturday
    Will do an easy 12k on grass

Advertisement