Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you vote to join the UK for €20, 000 per annum?

Options
  • 15-10-2018 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭

So hypothetically, the UK leaves the ÈU and struggles for a few years but then PM Boris Johnson signs a free trade agreement with Trumps US, Canada, India, China, Australia. Italy leaves the EU, Spain, Portugal and Greece need a bailout, Germany gets fed up of subsiding the EU, Ireland's contribution increases dramatically, Trump imposes huge tariffs on EU exports badly affecting Ireland. The UK from a position of strength gets a free trade agreement with the EU but imposes tariffs on EU products. Unemployment in Ireland increases, the HSE is in crisis.
    Ireland is offered the opportunity of joining the UK. This allows us a FTA with the US, EU, etc. The NHS would replace the HSE. We would still have the Irish soccer team, rugby team, the GAA etc. Overall, it looks like it would mean €20,000 per annum to every man, woman and child. Would you vote to join the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Yes! Simples...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

frag420 wrote: »
    Yes! Simples...

Anything to see Donegal beat Brighton in the All Ireland Final!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If you want to bribe people, bribe them with a free iPhone or Samsung Galaxy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

My bet is on Aliens letting us join the Galactic Federation.

About as likely op

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not for a mere €20,000 per annum.

That's some pile of hypotheticals .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

blackcard wrote: »
    So hypothetically, the UK leaves the ÈU and struggles for a few years but then PM Boris Johnson signs a free trade agreement with Trumps US, Canada, India, China, Australia. Italy leaves the EU, Spain, Portugal and Greece need a bailout, Germany gets fed up of subsiding the EU, Ireland's contribution increases dramatically, Trump imposes huge tariffs on EU exports badly affecting Ireland. The UK from a position of strength gets a free trade agreement with the EU but imposes tariffs on EU products. Unemployment in Ireland increases, the HSE is in crisis.
    Ireland is offered the opportunity of joining the UK. This allows us a FTA with the US, EU, etc. The NHS would replace the HSE. We would still have the Irish soccer team, rugby team, the GAA etc. Overall, it looks like it would mean €20,000 per annum to every man, woman and child. Would you vote to join the UK?

WTF???

That's some pile of hypotheticals.

You think?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

No fcuking way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

No. I like the EU and the free trade agreements and laws we have now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You lost me at PM Boris Johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So the new United Kingdom will leave the EU and use euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

WTF???

Snickers-Willem-Dafoe-As-Marilyn-Monroe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

blackcard wrote: »

Would you ever just...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Try_harder wrote: »
    No. I like the EU and the free trade agreements and laws we have now

First thing I say to myself every morning..

"God I love these trade deals.."

I would.

If they wipe out Northern Ireland as part of the deal. Totally annihilate it. Scorched earth grade stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

JayZeus wrote: »
    I would.

If they wipe out Northern Ireland as part of the deal. Totally annihilate it. Scorched earth grade stuff.

And Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd say you're great craic on a night out, OP.

"Hypothetically lads, ... "

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What's the £20,000 actually worth at that stage? I mean could I buy a car or a loaf of bread for 20k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭blackcard

Not for a mere €20,000 per annum.

That's some pile of hypotheticals .
    Which bit? The right wing in Italy wants to leave the EU. Greece continually needs bailouts. Right wing parties in Germany want to reduce their contribution. Trumps US is already threatening tariffs on the EU and Trump is perverse enough to give the UK a FTA

• Advertisement

What's the £20,000 actually worth at that stage? I mean could I buy a car or a loaf of bread for 20k?

Or milk for the childer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

lawred2 wrote: »
    First thing I say to myself every morning..

"God I love these trade deals.."

Beats worrying about having to make them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No surrender to BORIS OR MAY

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is this cash tax free? Nice crisp £20 notes would do me

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Miles O'Brien didn't fight the Space Brits on the shuttlelanes outside the verdant planet of Killashandra back in 42976.1 just so you could sell us out for a cheap bribe

DEYFONHXUAAQR8A?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Nope. There's not enough money to make the idea anything other than sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

What if the UK paid us 20k pa to join Ireland?

No surrender to BORIS OR MAY

Boris will never become PM there is just too much dirt in his past.

f54709a574e6c2e738f83cb6dcce5812-827x551.jpg?w=1200&h=1&fit=max&auto=format%2Ccompress

11204940_1096054490411134_2844940085783634584_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

JeffKenna wrote: »
    And Leitrim

Was the whole Leitrim thing ever funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭blackcard

Patww79 wrote: »
    Nope. There's not enough money to make the idea anything other than sickening.
    I wonder if unionists in the north think similarly about the prospect of joining a united Ireland?

Advertisement