Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners Log

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

benny79 wrote: »
    Phil Mickelson has but up great tips on chipping on his instagram page if you are on that! really helped me.

Phil Video on Chipping, it's the ONLY way to chip (according to Phil)

I have been practicing this method, it took a while for me to get it, but now I agree with Phil. If you keep watching the video he gets into all kinds of other approach shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭Glebee

Phil Video on Chipping, it's the ONLY way to chip (according to Phil)

I have been practicing this method, it took a while for me to get it, but now I agree with Phil. If you keep watching the video he gets into all kinds of other approach shots.

He makes it look oh so easy...:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Probably from this week I will go from a lad who has played a total of two rounds of golf in his lifetime to a golf club member.

Family members have basically arranged it all for me, in terms of the membership, lending me a set of unused clubs etc., but I'm both looking forward to it and bricking it at the same time!

I'm someone who has played a lot of different sports at a good level up to my late teens/early 20s, but in my 30s now and a bit idle of late.

I'm planning on giving the golf pro up in the club a call in terms of asking for advice on how to get started, but I'm definitely hoping to get lessons and then hoping to get up to the driving range at least once a week.

I'm basically starting from zero which has it's negatives, but at the same time I'm hoping that if I get the good habits now I might be on a better footing than trying to correct bad habits.

Got my 3 cards in for handicap, dont actually care what I get its the fact I got my finger out and got them submitted....:D Thats one of my golf goals for the year and its still January..

Glebee wrote: »
    Got my 3 cards in for handicap, dont actually care what I get its the fact I got my finger out and got them submitted....:D Thats one of my golf goals for the year and its still January..

Got awarded HC of 25. :D:D

Got out for a quick 9 earlier . Pared 5 of the 9, unreal. Never ever has that happened before. Id be doing very well to get 2 pars in 9 holes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Got awarded HC of 25. :D:D

Got out for a quick 9 earlier . Pared 5 of the 9, unreal. Never ever has that happened before. Id be doing very well to get 2 pars in 9 holes...

Beware of the bandit 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Seriously,well done you've got the bug

Due to some unforseen delays, I haven't swung a club as a new member yet, but looking to address that ASAP in March.

A couple of things I'd be grateful for pointers on:

1. Tips on getting a set of irons. I note a few brands seem to have starter packs - are these a decent starting place or a bit gimmicky? Would I be as well grabbing something used off Done Deal and hacking away with them for a few months?

2. Could anyone recommend a good place for lessons in the south, or perhaps west, Dublin areas?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

hardybuck wrote: »
    Due to some unforseen delays, I haven't swung a club as a new member yet, but looking to address that ASAP in March.

1. Tips on getting a set of irons. I note a few brands seem to have starter packs - are these a decent starting place or a bit gimmicky? Would I be as well grabbing something used off Done Deal and hacking away with them for a few months?

2. Could anyone recommend a good place for lessons in the south, or perhaps west, Dublin areas?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't recommend a starter set, go to McGuirks and get a couple of options you like the look of and hit them in the shop (Blanch gives you the option) and go with them. Once you start playing regularly you will want rid of any starter set and for the sake of a couple of hundred Euro there would be a very noticeable difference in a starter set to say a forgiving set of mizuno or ping irons.

Remind me wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend a starter set, go to McGuirks and get a couple of options you like the look of and hit them in the shop (Blanch gives you the option) and go with them. Once you start playing regularly you will want rid of any starter set and for the sake of a couple of hundred Euro there would be a very noticeable difference in a starter set to say a forgiving set of mizuno or ping irons.

I appreciate that feedback - thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

I appreciate that feedback - thanks.

Might set aside some cash for new grips. No point in having used Pings, if you have to have a vice like grip to hold onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You'll get a better starter set off adverts or donedeal than you will in McGuirks I reckon.

There isnt really too much to worry about, unless you are very short/tall/long arms then standard/regular will be fine for a starter set.

If you like the look of them, buy them, you dont have to worry too much about anything other than grip quality, which you can judge before you buy.

other than that I would seriously consider golfbidder.co.uk, they usually have excellent value for money and a huge range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thanks in advance.

If you are just starting out, and looking at iron sets, it's worth remembering that you should probably look at sets that are classed as GI (Game Improvement) or SGI (Super Game Improvement).

They'll look a little more chunky but will offer much more forgiveness

Silly question time...

Now that ive got my handicap in my back pocket is it just a case of getting out to play opens at various golf clubs plus play in my own clubs opens.... Is this the only way to get your handicap reduced (or increased :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Yes.

You must play a qualifying round at home or away to effect your handicap.

The season is probably another few weeks away except a few links courses so most will be non qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Caveat on that is general play cuts and end of year reveiw. I've never talked to anyone who got a general play cut but a few from most clubs will get an increase or decrease if they are over/underperforming at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,116 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Silly question time...

Now that ive got my handicap in my back pocket is it just a case of getting out to play opens at various golf clubs plus play in my own clubs opens.... Is this the only way to get your handicap reduced (or increased :o )
    You don't have to play your club 'opens' as they are usually for non-members as well. But you'd have competitions every weekend for club members and that's when most club members play and get cut or get 0.1s. You can get cut for exceptional play as well. This usually means having two good rounds in a row - good meaning good enough to get cut.

Advertisement