Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

"Gavin Barwell apparently seeing junior ministers in 10mins" - Sam Coates, Times.

What might that indicate? (Barwell is May's Chief of Staff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

The EU seem to have bent over backwards here.

The eu does not bend for anyone. Hoping for a hard brexit, it might stop the eu continuing with the "Ever closer union" rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,915 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Rhineshark wrote: »
    "Gavin Barwell apparently seeing junior ministers in 10mins" - Sam Coates, Times.

What might that indicate? (Barwell is May's Chief of Staff)

Switching horse in midstream ?
    Or in this case ministers rather than horses

gunny123 wrote: »
    The eu does not bend for anyone. Hoping for a hard brexit, it might stop the eu continuing with the "Ever closer union" rubbish.

No comfort for us with a hard Brexit if it is closer or not.

Actually it is pretty flexible by design. And implementation - see Switzerland, UK concessions, two-speed Europe idea ad the myriad of opt outs and concessions to various states, including Ireland.

Less efficient but more leeway for 27 seperate and sovereign states to work with and compromise with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Rayner of The Telegraph says that the Cabinet has accepted the WA.

Hold the phone - guardian live feed has that the Cabinet has agreed to May's deal..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

devnull wrote: »
    Cabinet has balked at:
    - No unilateral exit from backstop
    - Large annexe on level playing field

ERG now openly saying they will force a change of leader.

She's in trouble by the look of it.
    It's the same sable rattling as before; no one in ERG is stupid enough to want to be in charge of this failure (and that's assuming they would somehow get enough votes to decide in the first place). Not that it will not spook May "My coat turns with the wind" May as always and for her to go back seeking more unicorns to placate them with.

Actually it is pretty flexible by design. And implementation - see Switzerland, UK concessions, two-speed Europe idea ad the myriad of opt outs and concessions to various states, including Ireland.

Less efficient but more leeway for 27 seperate and sovereign states to work with and compromise with each other.

Maybe, but i was happy with the old eec, i do not want to live in the "united states of europe", thanks. I would hate to see ireland as a mere county in the massive country called europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

devnull wrote: »
    Cabinet has balked at:
    - No unilateral exit from backstop
    - Large annexe on level playing field

ERG now openly saying they will force a change of leader.

She's in trouble by the look of it.

Balls anyway. At the end of it all it's best for us all that there's a deal.

Can't see the EU engaging with the UK any longer if this goes down in flames

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Maybe, but i was happy with the old eec, i do not want to live in the "united states of europe", thanks. I would hate to see ireland as a mere county in the massive country called europe.

There is near zero chance of that happening in your lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 39,646 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Would it be fair to say that this is the biggest speech of Teresa May's political life ?

Here we go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

She's out now an has stated that they've had a detailed and impassioned debate.

She believes the draft is best that could be negotiated.

The cabinet had difficult choices in relation to Northern Ireland.

CABINET HAS AGREED WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT AND OUTLINE POLITICAL DECLARATION.

It isn't one or the other you know.

Aha, she's out and talking. Cabinet are in apparently then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Through cabinet

Cabinet backing her. Now the skin and hair can really start to fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Cabinet has backed her.

We will see if there are any resignations now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here we go, May sez cabinet agrees to the agreement. So the line has been drawn in the sand and various nay sayers will need to put up or shut up.

She's managed it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

She also says that she has to take decisions in the national interest and it is in her heart and head the best for the whole of the UK.

Clearly anticipates a crazy few days ahead.

Be interesting to see what happens in the coming hours.

Statements in HoC Thursday.

This deal or risk Brexit not happening or a no deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So May has won her first battle. Many more on the way.

lawred2 wrote: »
    There is near zero chance of that happening in your lifetime

They said the same about the eu army, now look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well Jesus there's a woman that looks under quite a bit of strain. If it goes through, great for us, but I can't say it was a particularly convincing minute of a statement.

The DUP will be going ****ing mental.

It isn't one or the other you know.

It should only be the one.

Hm, "it is either this, no deal or no Brexit at all".

That's one more option than she's been letting on for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They said the same about the eu army, now look.

If it ever happens, it'll be down to the Brexiteers as much as anyone else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement