Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the actual **** !!!!!!

Options
  • 14-10-2018 9:20pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know they may/will face charges/arrest at a future point, but why do we bother to keep things right and legal when this is happening.

I know one lad thayt had his shotgun and rifle taken from him, charged and fined for having a 25 round mag in his Ruger on an unrestricted license (even though he had 10 rounds in it, the mag made it restricted).

Now he cannot get his guns back, and has been refused licenses since it happened a few years back.

Then the boys above ship in a few Glocks and other automatic weapons, are found with drugs, and then released without charge.

I mean seriously, what the actual f**k.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Having friends in high places might be the answer to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Are they released on bail pending charges?
    Because otherwise, that is seriously undermining the entire point of any of this stuff. And even if they are on bail, that's not exactly leaving any of the rest of us feeling like the Act is being taken seriously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

3 addresses, 3 men, if they just deny they had anything to do with it how else can you prove they were involved? Anyone could put your address down technically. It'll take more evidence to build the case is my guess.

'Some coke and cannabis' could be found in almost any house in the country judging by what some young people get up to at weekends, it's a bit vague

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3 addresses, 3 men, if they just deny they had anything to do with it how else can you prove they were involved? Anyone could put your address down technically. It'll take more evidence to build the case is my guess

^ This.

They need to prove they paid for them. If it was done with crypto they probably won't ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sparks wrote: »
    Are they released on bail pending charges?
    Doesn't elaborate.
    Because otherwise, that is seriously undermining the entire point of any of this stuff. And even if they are on bail, that's not exactly leaving any of the rest of us feeling like the Act is being taken seriously.
    Exactly.
    3 addresses, 3 men, if they just deny they had anything to do with it how else can you prove they were involved? Anyone could put your address down technically. It'll take more evidence to build the case is my guess
    Fair point about the guns, albeit Father Ted like, but if the guns were delivered or in their possession then that is an offense in itself.

Also what about the drugs found during the search. Suppose they were just resting there too? :rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Doesn't elaborate.

Exactly.

Fair point about the guns, albeit Father Ted like, but if the guns were delivered or in their possession then that is an offense in itself.

Also what about the drugs found during the search. Suppose they were just resting there too? :rolleyes:
    I think it said they were intercepted so no possession then. I've heard of people ordering drugs in similarly, it's totally deniable and if they covered their tracks with payment and ordering (bit coin, tor or something I guess) there's no evidence

I added in an edit about the drugs, it really depends on the amounts I suppose but small amounts could be claimed to be completely casual

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It sounds to me like these guns were intercepted on the way to the addresses rather than controlled delivery to the suspect's address.IOW if you want to really nail, someone, you allow delivery to them, and if they aren't out the door at Mach 2 heading towards the nearest police station with this unusual delivery sent by mistake or no knowledge of them to protest their innocence within 5mins of opening such. You have a sure collar.I mean what would anyone sane and innocent do if they received a Glock in the post?? That might explain the no charges or bail??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    It sounds to me like these guns were intercepted on the way to the addresses rather than controlled delivery to the suspect's address.IOW if you want to really nail, someone, you allow delivery to them, .................. That might explain the no charges or bail??

Correct and if this was not done then it shows a poor execution on the behalf o the police. The guns could have been intercepted, deactivated permanently, then sent on and monitored.

Brings me back to WTF!!

I'm not trying to sensationalise this, but its not the first time. In the last year there were two, possibly three, instances of firearms being found or more accurately people found with illegal weapons (and they are weapons) and not so much as a fine when/if it goes to court.

Woman with the Uzi, gun found on the street and picked up before police arrive are two and i cannot remember the third.

Had a look at the Indo and they say they were intercepted on the US side, that might be why they werent intercepted and monitored?

But they knew the houses they were going to, and those houses were raided. Would it have been a stretch to throw in 5 Airsoft/Replicas and deliver them?

Anywho, not going to prolong this. Just annoying me that people get to walk with serious crimes, and we get raked over the coals for perceived minor infringements.

• Advertisement

But they knew the houses they were going to, and those houses were raided. Would it have been a stretch to throw in 5 Airsoft/Replicas and deliver them?

Anywho, not going to prolong this. Just annoying me that people get to walk with serious crimes, and we get raked over the coals for perceived minor infringements.

There is still a good chance of charges though with any luck, once the file goes to the DPP and they figure out who these guys are

Like i said above it just pisses me off a little. As per the example above we have guys, paying lots of money for their guns and gear, who are brought to court for having an extra round in their gun, not using a carry case when traveling, loose ammo in the car, bullet belts/clocks, etc, etc.

Then you see this crap and they get to walk because "bad upbringing", or "normally a good person" or whatever other bleeding heart sob story gets them off.

Christ i mean firearm owners, the legal ones, are good people with spotless records (for the most part) and we are constantly viewed as threats.

To plagiarize an American saying, with some 140,000 people owning some 230,000 firearm and God's know how many millions of rounds of ammo, if we were a problem you'd have known about it by now.

Perhaps show us some respect or at the very least the same bleeding heart liberalism that Mac-10 Debbie gets. :mad: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I wonder how many made it through untraced though. These ones were nabbed, as the American tipped off the gardai, but if they came from eastern europe, chances are they would not have been traced.

Like i said above it just pisses me off a little. As per the example above we have guys, paying lots of money for their guns and gear, who are brought to court for having an extra round in their gun, not using a carry case when traveling, loose ammo in the car, bullet belts/clocks, etc, etc.

Then you see this crap and they get to walk because "bad upbringing", or "normally a good person" or whatever other bleeding heart sob story gets them off.

Christ i mean firearm owners, the legal ones, are good people with spotless records (for the most part) and we are constantly viewed as threats.

To plagiarize an American saying, with some 140,000 people owning some 230,000 firearm and God's know how many millions of rounds of ammo, if we were a problem you'd have known about it by now.

Perhaps show us some respect or at the very least the same bleeding heart liberalism that Mac-10 Debbie gets. :mad: :rolleyes:
    Well this is the thing, so many gun owners and yet shooting in Ireland is pretty much 'underground', the only thing anyone outside the community will hear about it is the stuff from the States or organised crime, speaking from my own experience in Ireland years ago. More openess (somehow) and some good publicity is needed

gunny123 wrote: »
    I wonder how many made it through untraced though. These ones were nabbed, as the American tipped off the gardai, but if they came from eastern europe, chances are they would not have been traced.
    I think it's still mostly western pistols used though, I remember there was one shooting not too long ago where a Makarov or copy was used and it was remarked on as being unusual

Gen 5 Glocks with the chuckle switch accessory, [that BTW is for sale on Wish.com for around 20 usd] are not too common in East Europe.I feel this was more than likely a darknet purchase off a US Govt agency posing as a black market dealer,done with bitcoin. Remember last Summer that Muslim kid who shot up Munich with a black market Glock he bought off the darknet? Would make you think it could be that easy to acquire something with a 50/50 odds of being caught or hitting a genuine dealer??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I think it's still mostly western pistols used though, I remember there was one shooting not too long ago where a Makarov or copy was used and it was remarked on as being unusual

Thats odd as the makarovs are very commonly used by crims in the uk, they are cheap, concealable and disposable. I supposed they would be used here too.

Maybe for Ireland,but not in Europe.
    The Baikal Makarov copy is the most common gun found in the UK,as it is literally a genuine Makarov pistol that was/is converted to a blank fire pistol in the plant in Russia.All that needs to be done is put in a replacement barrel. Unlike Western blank firers that look like the real thing,there is no pot metal in these guns,so there is no chance of them detonating if converted. Seeing that our frontier of the EU and Russia is a porous as a sieve, they will come in here as easy as anything. They are as common as muck in Germany in criminal shootings.

I'll see if I can dig up the article tomorrow, but I didn't know they were popular in the UK.

Edit:this is the one I remember, from 2015
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-32886319

But when I was searching I did see an article from a year later claiming the country was flooded with them after this

Advertisement