Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X4: Foundations

• 14-10-2018 8:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The latest game in the X series is out on November 30th. After the disaster that was Rebirth, they really need to do a good job with this, but the trailers so far look pretty good. Definitely a call back to X3. Looks pretty good, and look forward to getting stuck into it and failing miserably :P

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,401 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ObsidianAnt done a couple of vids on it, sounds really good. I think I might hold off on buying straight away to see how it is at launch. Apparently they have a history of launching the games in a fairly buggy state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Put hundreds of hours into X2/X3/AP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That trailer is very ropey and doesn't inspire confidence tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I am embarrassed enough to admit, I pre-ordered X3 rebirth.
    Wont be making that mistake again, but will definitely keep an eye on this alright. Loved the idea of these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Reinstalled X3: TC/AP there recently, having a blast in it. If they just remaster that, and include a lot of the mods as game functionality, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

From what I read, they're keeping the highway system (somewhat) but also having researchable warp drive, and you can't fly every ship, and there are fewer of them. They've also apparently written the Boron out. They don't really appear to be listening to their fanbase much, it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not pre-ordering after X-Rebirth fiasco.

But it seems that the devs have listened to the fans. Also looks like you can walk about Space stations, asteroids, ships, etc without the need to crowdfund a few hundred million and take years of development.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think for me it's important to remember I've never played the story line in any of the X games. The story and the bits to go along with it like voice acting and cut scenes were clunky messes at best.

X3 shined so much simply in sandbox. It was wonderful to start from the bottom and build up a functioning trader empire and with the trader AI mods and creating factory loops was cracking fun.

The gfx were and still are really good. Combat was just good enough and never really got in the way much.

If they can supply more of that with some refined user interfaces and a proper economy (rather than just filling pre existing holes) I'd be happy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing X3T at the moment as well, and going to try and (slowly) build up an empire. I've never actually gotten that far into it, but always love the idea of getting far into it. Will keep it in the background while i do some work tonight. SETA my way around selling energy till i can upgrade my ship :P

Actually, should i do TC or AP? Never sure which one i best to pick from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Kiith wrote: »

A lot of people play TC for the storyline plots and learning the game, then move on to AP for empire building.

AP is more sandboxy and can be more combaty too (there is a war going on),
    but it has some QOL benefits and overall just a more refined X3 experience.

I'm playing X3T at the moment as well, and going to try and (slowly) build up an empire. I've never actually gotten that far into it, but always love the idea of getting far into it. Will keep it in the background while i do some work tonight. SETA my way around selling energy till i can upgrade my ship :P

It is/isn't cheaty depending on your POV but the game also leaves some abandoned ships lying about in certain sectors. You can go claim them and use them with AI if you like or sell them. Just google the locations.

Don't leave the game on seta for too long ie hours overnight, it can make it go glitchy on occassion and you end up losing progress.

• Advertisement

I've no problem with looking for some abandoned ships. I don't plan on spending 100's of hours on it, and will happily take a leg up this time around. Setting them up to run trade routes is what i want to have some fun with, then buy a few stations.

Found some of those ships, and sold one of them for around 1.5 mill. That should allow me to get a few ships equipped for trading. Seems like it's a fairly hands on process to get ships to trade. I have to get them to look for the best buy and sell price each time. Or is that cause i don't have the mk3 software installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Seems like it's a fairly hands on process to get ships to trade. I have to get them to look for the best buy and sell price each time. Or is that cause i don't have the mk3 software installed?

Yeah, Trade Command Software Mk3 allows it to automated and make it a Sector trader,
    eventually after levelling up, it can become a Universe trader.
    Mk3 is pretty pricey, if I remember correctly, but pays for itself eventually.

Found some of those ships, and sold one of them for around 1.5 mill. That should allow me to get a few ships equipped for trading. Seems like it's a fairly hands on process to get ships to trade. I have to get them to look for the best buy and sell price each time. Or is that cause i don't have the mk3 software installed?

I don't recall the ins and outs but google sector/universe trader guide for how to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

it looks cool but those character animations are janky as ****

Lone Stone wrote: »
    it looks cool but those character animations are janky as ****

I have no idea why they included those in previous games and again this one, unless Star Citizen has something to do with it. X has always been about the spacecraft, not the pilots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I have no idea why they included those in previous games and again this one, unless Star Citizen has something to do with it. X has always been about the spacecraft, not the pilots.

Didn't play before X2 but they all had the bad animated portraits, and the actual cut scenes were never great.

The actual walking around part was from last game (2013) which would have been very early in Star Citizen original kick started and unlikely to have been effected by it. Didn't play that game so don't know if this is anything of an improvement. Don't think it looks too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The recent videos for this make it look good, well everything but the pilots as it's like straight out of 2005.

Pre-ordered rebirth so will wait on this one as I'm still a bit salty.

obsidian ant bloke is doing a pre launch stream first look thingy

Initial reactions to a few livestreams seem to be positive. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Advertisement

Live stream is still going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlnUEFlyXrA

Why ? now im going to have to buy this tomorrow. Damn you *shakes fist*.

Damnit. Me too.

Sorry about that...didn't want to be the only one buying it :)

Actually looking forward to giving it a go. Definitely looks like a major improvement on Rebirth (not hard), and has gone back to it's roots.

yea i got it aswell, looks like elite dangerous but you know.. fun haha.
    The stream's were fairly promising i look forward to building my black market space station and becoming the scourge of the galaxy.

So you're saying they might have actually listened to their fans about not repeating the mistakes of Rebirth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I've always loved the X series and this game looks awesome but still gonna wait for reviews and forum feedback before pulling the trigger as Rebirth was god awful.

I didn't see any on the streams but is there any combat in pilot/out of the ship/running around on stations mode?

you can walk around your ships in first person mode, stations and board enemy ships but i didnt see any boarding of ships on streams. i dont think you can walk around in 3rd person though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

you can walk around your ships in first person mode, stations and board enemy ships but i didnt see any boarding of ships on streams. i dont think you can walk around in 3rd person though.

I saw Obsidian Ant walking around stations and do some EVA stuff but was wondering if you can land on an enemy ship, shoot the crew and steal the ship :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Well thats me sold. If elite had this I would still play it.

impressions so far ?
    im just loading it up now

Downloading it at the moment, so will give it a few hours today.

yea just started it earlier, the control's are a bit hard to remember but so far im slowly getting to grips with it.I have to keep re doing the tutorials when i forget stuff derp :o

So far it's quite good, but there are some serious bugs. Wouldn't start for me at first, and had to delete a file in my Sys32 folder. Now i'm getting the warp bug, where you get warped a huge distance away from your target, and it doubles every time you go into the map. They have a fix for that, and will be rolling it out soon apparently.

It wouldn't be an x game without bugs. I watched allot of the first impression bids and bought it.

• Advertisement

The warp bug has gotten worse now, and i can't do anything in game now. There's a patch out already, which is supposed to fix that though.

i lost control of my ship a few time's when docking was really irritating.

Anywho here's a helpful video.

I'm enjoying it. Bugs abound though. My ship fell through the space station floor twice now.

I'm torn between absolutely loving the game, and absolutely hating the game.

When it works, it's great. Started building up my small mining fleet, and making some good money. Have the story station started, and trying to figure out plots. But god almighty it makes some simple tasks extremely difficult at times. Giving miners orders is easy enough, but trying to get a transporter to automatically trade is so bloody awkward. Currently my well specced transporter is flying around in circles doing god knows what. Hiring crew is confusing, and i've no idea how to craft a SETA drive.

I'll figure it out eventually though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

First game I have seen where my once spiffy GFX card is listed in the min specs. On that basis alone I will eventually be getting this....but not until it's been patched up a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,401 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think I'll pick it up after Christmas, don't want to buy it until I'm sure I'll play it straight away. Having said that, I'm playing through Rebel Galaxy at the moment and it's heaps of fun but is giving me the itch for something with a bit more depth.

I assume there's HOTAS support? I bought one for playing Elite:Dangerous on the xbox would be nice to have another game to use it for.

doing a mission and i have to deploy a satellite but i doesn't tell me how the fk to do it and it's my doing my head in, i cant even see anything for deploying satellites in the control menu.

You need to have a satellite in your cargo (it's a consumable in the equipment docks or wharfs), and then on your ship press Enter, click on Deploy Civilian and then Satellite.

You need to have a satellite in your cargo (it's a consumable in the equipment docks or wharfs), and then on your ship press Enter, click on Deploy Civilian and then Satellite.

*bows down* thank you all the googles in the world did nothing.

, and i've no idea how to craft a SETA drive.

I'll figure it out eventually though.

Yeah, got a SETA drive sorted and then ship exploded upon first use.

i restarted picking the explorer starting option, as the new update seems to have fixed a lot of the mission problems i was having as in they just failed all the time turned out to be a bug and not me being a dumb ass for a change. So far got a good few 100k+ jobs now all i gotta do is figure out what to do with my money :pac:

New patch out today as well, fixing some issues. Auto trader still seems ****ed up though.

I'm actually tempted to go back to X3 TC/AB and do a full playthrough of that tbh. There's a lot of issues with this at the moment, and from reading the reddit forums, they only get worse after 40-50 hours. No where near as much depth either, which isn't surprising after multiple expansions.

Great base for the game, but a lot of work is needed.

edit never mind. have a miner out there working to bring home the bucks daddy

I'm actually tempted to go back to X3 TC/AB and do a full playthrough of that tbh. There's a lot of issues with this at the moment, and from reading the reddit forums, they only get worse after 40-50 hours. No where near as much depth either, which isn't surprising after multiple expansions.

Great base for the game, but a lot of work is needed.

I've come to that decision myself as well. Going to hold off playing much more and wait for a few patches and maybe an expantion or two (hopefully). I have a new enough game of X3:TC going at the moment, but in my myriad of mods I think I've messed up the commercial agent representation scripts, so I'm trying to figure them out. They'd make station management far easier and efficient.

• Advertisement
Advertisement