Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Jude13 wrote: »
    When advertising an event to other religious holidays it is not referred to as 'the holiday season' as per my example earlier in relation to Eid.
    I don’t think I’ve ever come across anyone in America who celebrates Eid so I’ll bow to your expertise here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Netflix is a vast amount more than America, but lets agree to disagree.

More Christmas (holiday for some) films!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I just like the fact that here in Ireland we tend to stick to Merry or Happy Christmas, I have though noticed (in the media moreso) a slow introduction of Happy Holidays & references to the Holiday season (I blame murica for that) & as we tend to gather all the holiday days in the 'christmas bag' so to speak I'd hate to see any other sayings take over.
    Look, Its a small gripe & probably inevitable (like trick or treat at halloween taking over from more traditional irish sayings) that it'll become more common, I'm just saying I'm stuck in retro & prefer the older ways generally, I accept its nostalgia tinted glasses or whatever but hey, I like what I like & whilst I'll not really rage against it, it'll be another one of those little things I'll look back on, breath out slowly & shrug my shoulders at their demise.

Happy Holidays y'all!!;)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    I just like the fact that here in Ireland we tend to stick to Merry or Happy Christmas, I have though noticed (in the media moreso) a slow introduction of Happy Holidays & references to the Holiday season (I blame murica for that) & as we tend to gather all the holiday days in the 'christmas bag' so to speak I'd hate to see any other sayings take over.
    Look, Its a small gripe & probably inevitable (like trick or treat at halloween taking over from more traditional irish sayings) that it'll become more common, I'm just saying I'm stuck in retro & prefer the older ways generally, I accept its nostalgia tinted glasses or whatever but hey, I like what I like & whilst I'll not really rage against it, it'll be another one of those little things I'll look back on, breath out slowly & shrug my shoulders at their demise.

Happy Holidays y'all!!;)

Agree 100%. I dislike this drift towards 'Happy Holiday' as a catch all rather than 'Merry Christmas & a happy New Year'.

Guess I'm turning into a grumpy old man!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

otnomart wrote: »
    Trailer for Netflix's 'Klaus'

Usual spoiler alerts apply !

This looks really good. Looking forward to it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Oprah must be an Elf, too !

OWN network will air its first-ever original holiday movies this year.

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/own-just-announced-3-new-holiday-movies-i-am-totally-w-1838881663

otnomart wrote: »
    Will Ferrell, Ryan Reynolds to Star in Musical Reimagining of 'A Christmas Carol'

"Multiple studios are currently bidding, according to insiders"

"A Christmas Carol" the musical will happen!
    Apple just got the movie rights

https://collider.com/apple-buys-a-christmas-carol-movie-ryan-reynolds-will-ferrell/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Knight before Christmas hits Netflix on November 21st.

https://www.popsugar.com/node/46762154

Not my cup of tea at all. But A Christmas Prince: A Royal Baby is hitting Netflix on December 5th.

https://www.facebook.com/527996793910085/posts/2633401710036239?sfns=mo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

YES, ANOTHER CHRISTMAS PRINCE FILM. :D

So cheesy and Christmassy.
    Excited!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Oh I'm conflicted about this! I LOVED A Christmas Prince but the sequel wasn't great - especially when they changed the dad :( I'll probably still watch the Royal Baby one though :P

I love all the rubbish Christmas films so I'm in for the royal baby one. All in for this one too.

https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1184126003880185857

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

I know this thread is geared towards movies but any animated/kids Christmas specials worth looking at? Something where theres maybe a 30 minute episode of a show that's not really a movie but its a one off with a Christmas theme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

For what age group? There are a good few out there - there's been a good few Julia Donaldson books made into short films like the Gruffalo. They are doing the Snail and the Whale on the BBC this year.

There's also The Grinch (cartoon one, not Jim Carey) which is lovely & about 40 minutes long I think. I got it on DVD from Amazon last year I think. I'm hoping the kids might appreciate it more this year!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Kristin Davis and Rob Lowe (and elephants!) in first look photos from Netflix rom-com 'Holiday in the Wild'.

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1184118359975190531?s=20

"Davis, who also produced the film, stars as Kate, a devoted New York wife whose workaholic husband leaves her right before their planned second honeymoon in Zambia. Kate goes on the trip alone, where she first clashes, then connects with her safari pilot Derek (Lowe) after he takes her on a detour to rescue an orphaned baby elephant. At the wildlife sanctuary where they nurse him back to health, Kate finds a new purpose in life — and a new person to share it with."

Ok so elephants are my favourite animal, and Kristin Davis is really involved with an elephant charity in Kenya that rescues orphaned elephants so she knows what she's talking about!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Oh I'm conflicted about this! I LOVED A Christmas Prince but the sequel wasn't great - especially when they changed the dad :( I'll probably still watch the Royal Baby one though :P
    Ah yeah, they're crap, but they're meant to be crap. It's crap with snow. :D

If you don't meet someone on Christmas week, hate them immediately, then fall in love by Christmas day and live happily ever after, you are NOT doing Christmas right.

Don't have Netflix myself,
    It seems they are going all out this year !
    • Let It Snow
    • Holiday Rush
    • Merry Happy Whatever - a series with Dennis Quaid - I do like him !
    • baking competition show Sugar Rush Christmas
    • Spirit Riding Free: The Spirit of Christmas
    • A Family Reunion Christmas
    https://collider.com/new-netflix-christmas-movies-2019/

The Christmas Boss

Loughc got a new boss last year, in mid December. She is a real ball buster, and cancels all Christmas leave. While working unpaid overtime, Loughc gradually (show montage) gets to know her more and seen a softer side to this cruel boss.
    While doing his volunteer work at the local soup kitchen, Lough discovers that the boss lady volunteers there too. After their shift, they get dinner and swap anecdotes and family histories. Cruel Boss woke up on Christmas day when she was twelve to find her father had walked out on the family, and she has never celebrated Christmas since. (show flashbacks)
    As the most senior accountant in the firm, it's just Lough and Boss Lady in the office on Christmas day, eating tubs of Chinese food. Their eyes meet across an excel spreadsheet, and they accidentally touch hands while reaching for the same calculator. A passionate kiss follows by the photocopier and Loughc asks his boss to spend every Christmas with him for the rest of their lives. She cries and says yes.

They marry on Valentine's Day (end credits), and by the following December the new Mrs Loughc is expecting twins, just in time for the sequel. :pac:

I'd watch the hell out of that!!!!

I'd watch the hell out of that!!!!

Me too :pac:

I genuinely lost it at their eyes met across an excel spreadsheet :D

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    The Christmas Boss

Loughc got a new boss last year, in mid December. She is a real ball buster, and cancels all Christmas leave. While working unpaid overtime, Loughc gradually (show montage) gets to know her more and seen a softer side to this cruel boss.
    While doing his volunteer work at the local soup kitchen, Lough discovers that the boss lady volunteers there too. After their shift, they get dinner and swap anecdotes and family histories. Cruel Boss woke up on Christmas day when she was twelve to find her father had walked out on the family, and she has never celebrated Christmas since. (show flashbacks)
    As the most senior accountant in the firm, it's just Lough and Boss Lady in the office on Christmas day, eating tubs of Chinese food. Their eyes meet across an excel spreadsheet, and they accidentally touch hands while reaching for the same calculator. A passionate kiss follows by the photocopier and Loughc asks his boss to spend every Christmas with him for the rest of their lives. She cries and says yes.

They marry on Valentine's Day (end credits), and by the following December the new Mrs Loughc is expecting twins, just in time for the sequel. :pac:

Since I don't see any trademark or copyright I'm off to Hallmark! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It'll never get picked up by Hallmark. Where's the dog? And scheming ex?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »

Saved for the sequel.

What I love about the scheming ex in Hallmark movies is that she (always a she) always turns out to be a very nice person who steps aside once she sees the chemistry between the main characters. It really fits in with the warm and fuzzy theme!

odyssey06 wrote: »

I do have a dog... hmmmm... :pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    I do have a dog... hmmmm... :pac:

We all really want to hear about the scheming ex though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Na, dog's are way more interesting than scheming ex's and waaaay safer even though we are kind of anonymous on here.

Daddy’s home 2 is arriving on Netflix tomorrow.

Definitely a Christmas movie.

Christmas 24 starts in the UK and Ireland tomorrow. A second channel showing Christmas films all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Loughc wrote: »
    Christmas 24 starts in the UK and Ireland tomorrow. A second channel showing Christmas films all day long.

You have made my day :)

Advertisement