Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would you wait for takeaway delivery?

Options
  • 14-10-2018 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

So last night fancied some chipper grub but the weather was grim so used an app to order a delivery. The restaurant in question is maybe a 10 minute drive from the house and traffic on a wet Saturday night wouldnt be hectic.

Anyway rang up after an hour waiting asking where my food was and was told it was "in a queue to go out" and would leave in 10 minutes. Told them to keep it. Have had to do this before on plenty of occassions. Pretty pathethic not to be able to organise a functional delivery service in small/medium Irish towns.

Anyway how long would you wait for grub to be delivered before telling them to feck off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Told them to keep it. Have had to do this before on plenty of occassions. Pretty pathethic not to be able to organise a functional delivery service in small/medium Irish towns.

Haul your own ass down & quit your moaning.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

engiweirdo wrote:
    Anyway rang up after an hour waiting asking where my food was and was told it was "in a queue to go out" and would leave in 10 minutes. Told them to keep it. Have had to do this before on plenty of occassions. Pretty pathethic not to be able to organise a functional delivery service in small/medium Irish towns.

Can I suggest that in future you ring ahead and then go collect.
    You'll likely be eating within 30 minutes if so.

Your order probably fell in to busiest two hours of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Haul your own ass down & quit your moaning.

Just a thought.

Had to do that anyway to a different chipper. Its besides the point though. I was paying the first crowd for a delivery service.

Can I suggest that in future you ring ahead and then go collect.
    You'll likely be eating within 30 minutes if so.

Your order probably fell in to busiest two hours of the week.

Rendering justeat, marvin etc absolutely pointless so..... I was paying for a delivery service as well as the food. It wasnt a personal favour by the restaurant. The delivery model is very broken/dysfunctional if this keeps happening. Seems people are happy enough with it though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

An hour is too long to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I ordered take away last nightand went to collect it myself. Last time I ordered delivery on a Saturday night, it took around an hour. Was only out of the house for 10 minutes last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I was paying the first crowd for a delivery service.

Which had let you down previously, on plenty of occasions. :confused:

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Which had let you down previously, on plenty of occasions. :confused:

Yeah, different restaurants. Poor service is endemic in Ireland it seems. And seeing as a lot these are immigrant businesses it appears to be contagious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I order it online and collect it myself, thus avoiding a long wait and/or a cold dinner. I suddenly feel really hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dominos can deliver to me within 8 minutes on a good night..... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

engiweirdo wrote:
    And seeing as a lot these are immigrant businesses it appears to be contagious.

Ahhh. Now I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've waited 90 min for a pizza delivery. It was the only place that delivered to my address at all until a couple of weeks ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

The busier it is the longer the wait.

The aim is to have food delivered within 45 minutes but in some cases can take up to an hour worst i seen is 1 hour 15 minutes.

you are given 5 or 6 deliveries at once in hot bags plan a route generally nearest is done 1st to furthest away done last
    Unless furthest is in the longest then start with furthest delivery and work way back to shop,

best time Ive had is about 12 minutes delivered after ordering on a quiet night

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yeah, different restaurants. Poor service is endemic in Ireland it seems. And seeing as a lot these are immigrant businesses it appears to be contagious.

"Drops monocle" .

The ol rascism is strong in this one.

"Drops monocle" .

???? Italian run chipper, Indian/Chinese restaurants, Kebab joints Tec. Explain to me how any of these can be described as anything other than "immigrant businesses" and how that equates to racism? Answers on a postage stamp please.

Ahhh. Now I see.

That even relatively new arrivals to these shores don't take long to gain the local attributes of malaise and indifference?

Somehow I don't think that's what you "see".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

So last night fancied some chipper grub but the weather was grim so used an app to order a delivery. The restaurant in question is maybe a 10 minute drive from the house and traffic on a wet Saturday night wouldnt be hectic.

This is the reason it too so long. A wet Saturday night is probably their busiest time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That even relatively new arrivals to these shores don't take long to gain the local attributes of malaise and indifference?

Somehow I don't think that's what you "see".

Maybe your local takeaway delivery drivers are in cahoots and are deliberately delaying the delivery of your snack box and sausage in batter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Always ring and collect myself, hate that waiting and waiting for delivery.
    My pet hate is ringing in for collection and getting there and they just start making it when i walk in and say "collection for Littlehorny? I rang in".
    Had to say it to the local pizza shop when it was the third time in a row they done this, so what was the point of me bloody ringing ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

???? Italian run chipper, Indian/Chinese restaurants, Kebab joints Tec. Explain to me how any of these can be described as anything other than "immigrant businesses" and how that equates to racism? Answers on a postage stamp please.

even though they and probably their parents were born here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

****in starving now.

Graces7 wrote: »
    even though they and probably their parents were born here?

Patently not the case most of the time. For instance the lady I spoke when ringing to cancel last night had a heavy Italian accent. It appears you may have more of an issue with this than myself for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Perhaps the delivery driver was reluctant to go the OPs dwelling.

An hour at most. Restaurants where I am generally have it to the house in 30 minutes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Patently not the case most of the time. For instance the lady I spoke when ringing to cancel last night had a heavy Italian accent. It appears you may have more of an issue with this than myself for whatever reason.

Guy in a localish chipper had a heavy Italian accent, he was a ginger and local who put on the fake accent when dealing with customers.

BTW an hour on a wet miserable Saturday night waiting for delivery isn't that long. It's the busiest time with few drivers willing to work. Which is why I'd always get it myself, as even if it's less than an hour the food won't be hot.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Guy in a localish chipper had a heavy Italian accent, he was a ginger and local who put on the fake accent when dealing with customers.

BTW an hour on a wet miserable Saturday night waiting for delivery isn't that long. It's the busiest time with few drivers willing to work. Which is why I'd always get it myself, as even if it's less than an hour the food won't be hot.
    That's checking bizarre. Haha. There's about 8 takeaway restaurants in my immediate area, 7 of which are completely owned/ staffed by pretty much 1st generation immigrants. That is not the issue tbh. I would strongly suspect the problem is with the largely local delivery drivers and service providers not being able to organise an efficient service.

Anyway it was after an hour I enquired to where the food was and it wasn't cooked yet at that point indicating maybe another half hour of a wait. An hour is pretty terrible though tbh. Not exactly New York type metropolitan areas they're dealing with.

Looks like the everyone is a racist crowd have derailed the thread at this point. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

"Drops monocle" .

Oh for the love of godrolleyes.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I like ordering during busy times for collection, (my chippy is only a hundred yards away). Food (chips) is nicer because it's just being fresh from the fryer. Hate when you get those chips that have been lying there and they pretend they are frying them when you walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I would wait as long as it took if I were hungry, because if I cancel then I have to reorder and wait even longer
    I just wouldnt order from them again or give a tip if it took over an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I suppose an hour at most. Waiting over an hour for food is out of the question for me. I've seen people waiting in queues to get into restaurants were the waiting time was over an hour. I couldn't be bothered waiting that long to get into a restaurant and then having to wait to get my food also. I'd just find another place to eat. Takeaways are different though. I can forgive them for waiting an hour if it's a busy night, but I wouldn't go over an hour waiting.

Advertisement