Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing Guns

Options
  • 13-10-2018 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Im interested in taking up shooting.
    Gun storage has come up as an issue at home (as I'm sure it has for others).
    My wife does not want a rifle stored in the home.

Does anyone know of alternatives?
    Store at a club?

I live in the Mallow area of Cork, so If anyone knows of any options I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

johnnyv wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Im interested in taking up shooting.
    Gun storage has come up as an issue at home (as I'm sure it has for others).
    My wife does not want a rifle stored in the home.

Does anyone know of alternatives?
    Store at a club?

I live in the Mallow area of Cork, so If anyone knows of any options I would appreciate it.

Divorce should be easy enough these days :eek:

Some good solicitors in Cork too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭johnnyv

amadablam wrote: »
    Divorce should be easy enough these days :eek:

Some good solicitors in Cork too.

Not the answer I was hoping for :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Not the answer I was hoping for :-)

I had something similar back when i bought my first gun, my missus didn't even know you could get guns in Ireland and only knew them as a bad thing. She came around pretty quick but it took some talking to her.

Id say keep working on it lad, she'll come around. If not, refer to above poster haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You can store at another location, but the person(s) in that place (assuming its a house/home) must have absolutely no access to the safe or guns OR be licensed on them too.

The other alternative is to have it stored in a local firearms dealer, which would be odd as they normally only store guns that are for sale or are waiting to be licensed, but might do it for yo, but you'll pay for that service.

The last option is to have it stored at a range. Depending on the type of firearm will determine that range you need, but most ranges have an armory and will store your gun for you, but once again you'll pay for it.

Any storage other than in your own home will cost a pretty penny each year. In some circumstances it may even equal the price of the firearm (obviously depending on the firearm) per year. Compare than to a gun safe costing about €100.

Find a secure and "out of the way" location in your home. Show your wife where it'll go. Also press the point that the rifle will NEVER be left out for others to see, touch, have access to (thats a legal requirement so you will definitely have to adhere to that promise).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Grow a pair buy a safe and store the rifle in your house.

Herself didnt like the idea either and i now have in excess of 5 stored at home.

• Advertisement

Herself didnt like the idea either and i now have in excess of 5 stored at home.

Bit harsh.... everyone is different and everyones wife is different. Some will take longer to come around to the idea especially if its completely new to them.

People who have never been around guns and whos only knowledge of them is from the news are understandably going to ve weary of them or possibly even scared of the idea of having guns in the house.

My own wife was terrified at the thought of guns but now has been out shooting a few times, the kids have been out shooting and we were looking at rifles for my young one last year for xmas because she expressed a bit of interest.

For some "growing a pair" might be an option, others will need a different approach.

If you mean this a joke place an emoji or some other identifying marker to show you mean it in jest.

If you're serious then i'd suggest an attitude change for new members.

The OP has shown an interest in taking up the sport and has a question. Such attitudes don't serve to do anything but strengthen the attitude we are a bunch of clan-ish dicks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks for the responses folks.
    The only reason she is against it is we have 2 young kids.
    I will ask local clubs about storage!!

Thanks for the responses folks.
    The only reason she is against it is we have 2 young kids.
    I will ask local clubs about storage!!

We were the same, kids were really young. What rifle ya buying and what ya planning to use it for?

A few things that might help.

Firstly all firearms must be securely stored. The law demands it. While a single shotgun can be broken down and stored in separate locations using only a trigger lock most opt for a gun safe. You can do the same. For any other firearm a safe is a must.

Now with the gun securely stored and you the only key holder your kids will have absolutely no access to the gun.

Secondly if shooting sports interest you then having a gun is actually the best things for your kids. I learned from the age of four about guns by going out with my Grandfather, Father, Uncles and friends. I was taught about the the dangers of a firearm, the safe handling of them, and to have respect for them at all times. My introduction to them removed my curiosity and so i never tried to wanted to try and get to it without my Father there.

My point, albeit roundabout, is by exposing your kids to a firearm you remove the "what is that" aspect and hence any mystery that may lead, in other circumsances, to an accident.

Shooting sports in this country has the safest record of any sport. I mean ANY sport. It's older than the GAA, and all of this, while governed by law, is self policed. IOW its the shooters themselves that police the safe handling and call out any dickish actions of others.

Its a great community and has a huge social aspect outside of the actual shooting part.

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    We were the same, kids were really young. What rifle ya buying and what ya planning to use it for?

I was planning on a 22 for target shooting

I was planning on a 22 for target shooting

If its just target shooting then it could work out ok storing at the club if they offer the facility. If it was hunting you were doing it would be a major pain in the ass having to go collect it every time ya wanted to go out...

Might be an idea to bring your missus to the club and let her see what its all about, id say that could really put her mind at ease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Grow a pair.....
    :D:D:D:D:D

Im joking aaakev (see I used the smileys :P), I understand everyone is in a different situation and with kids involved it can be difficult for a partner to come around to the idea.

Here's my .2cents for what its worth, your looking for a rifle to go target shooting which is excellent for in my opinion 2 reasons:

1. Your partner does not like the idea of guns in the house so at least you aren't killing innocent wildlife :P

2. You can bring your wife to a range and hire a .22 bolt rifle where ye both can shoot in a safe comfortable environment.

While my wife didn't mind me having guns in the house (she was jealous to be honest) I bought her a Ruger 10/22. Sounds crazy but hear me out..... Either shed hate it and id get to keep the gun or she would love it and id have a shooting partner/someone to car pool with to the range (I shoot target.... when I get a chance)

Women in shooting sports is something that is constantly growing, Harbour House run safety courses for example (I'm sure that there are others but its the first that springs to mind)

I'm in Cork myself but am not aware or any clubs that store guns. For me it also wouldn't be a runner as there are storage costs (previously mentioned) plus hassle of collecting/returning the gun to its secure location if you decide to travel to a different range for a shoot

You could store the gun in a safe in another house (licencing system allows for that) so perhaps a parent/sibling will allow it ?

Another idea is to talk to your wife and have ground rules since you have kids. Perhaps you could try to reassure her that:

1. The safe will be out of the kids way (maybe in the attic) and locked at all times

2. Talk about where the keys will be kept (away from the kids) and that the gun will be stored disassembled.

3. Tell her that (depending on the kids age) you will supervise them if they are helping to clean your gun (they will want to be involved so teach them right from the start)

I hope that helps, good luck with it and hope to see both of ye on the firing line some time !

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭daleshooter

If you have a secure garage put a gun room in it that is alarmed and only you have a key to it then it is not in the house maybe that will keep her happy you can always remove the bolt from the rifle that way it is always safe around the home.she come to realize when treated with care and upmost safety they are safe.

:D:D:D:D:D

Im joking aaakev (see I used the smileys :P), I understand everyone is in a different situation and with kids involved it can be difficult for a partner to come around to the idea.

Here's my .2cents for what its worth, your looking for a rifle to go target shooting which is excellent for in my opinion 2 reasons:

1. Your partner does not like the idea of guns in the house so at least you aren't killing innocent wildlife :P

2. You can bring your wife to a range and hire a .22 bolt rifle where ye both can shoot in a safe comfortable environment.

While my wife didn't mind me having guns in the house (she was jealous to be honest) I bought her a Ruger 10/22. Sounds crazy but hear me out..... Either shed hate it and id get to keep the gun or she would love it and id have a shooting partner/someone to car pool with to the range (I shoot target.... when I get a chance)

Women in shooting sports is something that is constantly growing, Harbour House run safety courses for example (I'm sure that there are others but its the first that springs to mind)

I'm in Cork myself but am not aware or any clubs that store guns. For me it also wouldn't be a runner as there are storage costs (previously mentioned) plus hassle of collecting/returning the gun to its secure location if you decide to travel to a different range for a shoot

You could store the gun in a safe in another house (licencing system allows for that) so perhaps a parent/sibling will allow it ?

Another idea is to talk to your wife and have ground rules since you have kids. Perhaps you could try to reassure her that:

1. The safe will be out of the kids way (maybe in the attic) and locked at all times

2. Talk about where the keys will be kept (away from the kids) and that the gun will be stored disassembled.

3. Tell her that (depending on the kids age) you will supervise them if they are helping to clean your gun (they will want to be involved so teach them right from the start)

I hope that helps, good luck with it and hope to see both of ye on the firing line some time !

GH

Keeping it in another house was not something I thought of.
    I could ask my father.
    Bolt and trigger could be kept separate with me.

/cough :D
    Cass wrote: »
    You can store at another location, but the person(s) in that place (assuming its a house/home) ..................
    johnnyv wrote:
    I could ask my father.
    /cough, cough :eek::D:p
    Cass wrote:
    .............. the person(s) in that place (assuming its a house/home) must have absolutely no access to the safe or guns OR be licensed on them too
    For security sake that would work, but you still need the person in the home to be either unable to have any sort of access to the firearm, which the CPO (crime prevention officer) may want to check out, or have them licensed on it too.

Cass wrote: »
    /cough :D

/cough, cough :eek::D:p

For security sake that would work, but you still need the person in the home to be either unable to have any sort of access to the firearm, which the CPO (crime prevention officer) may want to check out, or have them licensed on it too.

Thanks for the clarification Cass.
    If the safe was in my fathers house he would have no access at all.
    To be honest he wouldn't have any interest!

Just messing ya.

The issue about your Father having no access is not about him, as such, it's a legal thing.

Most people get a visit at some point, especially new licensees, from the crime prevention officer. His job is to access the security which you have to have in place before applying for the firearm. Our gun laws say only the license holder can have access to and possession of the firearm. So legally your Father cannot have any sort of access, nor can anyone else.

So the CPO would assess your Father's home, him, and the foot traffic. Not to mention where the safe would be and then want clarification that only you would have the keys. The bolt removal is a good step, but ultimately the CPO will green light it, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Sparkey84

i had similar problem years ago when i moved in with my (now) wife, i did have a slightly easier job as i had the guns before we got together. i was able to use the "you knew i had guns where did you think they were going to go?" argument.
    The thing that made the difference with my wife was to actually view the safe and have a detailed discussion about where the key would live. we have 3 kids in house now and my mind rests easy because not only are the guns locked up and ammo locked up seperate but keys are also locked up aswell. best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

I could ask my father.

Sorry I could be wrong as I am new enough to the sport myself, but is the bolt/trigger being stored outside the safe not the same as the whole gun as all parts are classed as firearm. Mabey somebody alot more knowledgeable then me can answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Sparkey84

Sorry I could be wrong as I am new enough to the sport myself, but is the bolt/trigger being stored outside the safe not the same as the whole gun as all parts are classed as firearm. Mabey somebody alot more knowledgeable then me can answer.

i believe your correct, all major components are subject to the act. any thing you would need a licence to buy would need to be secured.

As long as it's securely stored, there is no issue. IOW a separate safe/lock box.

Advertisement