Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Black Irish President of Ireland by 2025 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

doylefe wrote: »
    That sounds ominous.

Not really. Irish people are quite happy with it, they don't have the same nationalism that other countries have. And seeing as the country and population is a lot smaller it'll be a lot more visible (esp expressed as percentages) than larger places.

Way of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,090 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It wouldn't be particularly significant if there was a black president. Ireland doesn't have anywhere near the same history of subjugating "minorities" or institutionalised racism as most of the other prominent English speaking countries.

A traveller president though. Now we're talking.

Margaret Cash 4 prez 2025.

Although she'd prob turn it down as it would only be 7 years in the aras, not a 'furevva home'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Agreed.

Unless your ginger. Those abominations need culling.

Especially if freckles are involved, my god they're awful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

So if a good candidate emerged, better than all the other candidates, and who just happened not to be white, you'd vote against them because 'Ireland is white and should have a white president'?

What a candidate says is not really important. They are all full of ****e. You just need a palatable statesman or stateswoman to represent the country.

Black people have no significant history in Ireland, and do not represent Ireland.

A black president would be nothing more than a self indulgent desperate attempt to show how "progress" and "tolorent" a nation we are, all the while ****ing over our history and who we actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Will Smith have an Irish granny?

I'm amazed nobody convinced the Obamas to move here so they could convince Barrack to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What a candidate says is not really important. They are all full of ****e. You just need a palatable statesman or stateswoman to represent the country.

Black people have no significant history in Ireland, and do not represent Ireland.

A black president would be nothing more than a self indulgent desperate attempt to show how "progress" and "tolorent" a nation we are, all the while ****ing over our history and who we actually are.

Yeah, but who exactly ARE we?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Yeah, but who exactly ARE we?

White people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If they can chant ooh ah up the Ra at 3am after a feast of guinness that's good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The op is asking whether skin colour is irrelevant. If it is then the answer is yes, although when is up for discussion.

Judging by some of the responses though, it isn’t

Yes, some responses do indicate this which is very sad. Its still a question we shouldn't need to ask, anybody who thinks Ireland is not ready for a Black president is clearly a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

A Black Transgender Traveller President

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

when choosing a candidate for election I always think their ability to produce melanin is of the first importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Black Irish president makes no sense.

The black population is at 1% and that's only a recent thing.

Ireland is white and should have a white president.

A number of the current candidates are millionaires which certainly doesn't represent a vast majority of the population but they are considered valid candidates.

As long as a candidate truly understands Ireland and its culture, and meets the requirements set in the constitution, I don't care what they look like.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AnneFrank wrote: »
    That's the problem, with inbreeding there may not be a pure white person in 50 years, any species or race dying out is sad

Inbreeding, you say...

Are we back to My Perfect Cousin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It wouldn't be particularly significant if there was a black president. Ireland doesn't have anywhere near the same history of subjugating "minorities" or institutionalised racism as most of the other prominent English speaking countries.

A traveller taking a job? Get out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A Black Transgender Traveller President

A Black, Jewish, Gay, Transgender Traveller President[

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Odhinn

So a black fella whose born here, grown up here, went to the same school as the next lad, worked and all the rest can't have the job because he's black?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

dont see why we couldnt have one now . i dont think skin colour would be a massive issue if a good candidate came up but there are very few black people living in ireland % wise in comparison to whites , even fewer who are born and bred irish . i still remember the first time i saw a black person in real life and im only 34 . that the biggest reason there likely wont be one for a while . nothing to do with skin colour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Odhinn

dont see why we couldnt have one now . i dont think skin colour would be a massive issue if a good candidate came up but there are very few black people living in ireland % wise in comparison to whites , even fewer who are born and bred irish . i still remember the first time i saw a black person in real life and im only 34 . that the biggest reason there likely wont be one for a while . nothing to do with skin colour

On population size there'd be a Polish president first, were things that straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A halting site on the grounds of the Aras.

That would be some sight

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The Taoiseach (holder of the actual top job) is mixed race Irish-Indian, in a country with a nearly 95% white population. And people like or dislike him based on his actions and politics. No one seems to give a **** about his skin colour or ethnicity (or sexuality). So it's not as if we have some sort of hang up about the ethnicity of our government representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Obsession with race, the people who think a black president for Ireland will be great cos he's black - are racist *****.
    Judge someone by their character and their policies, who gives a **** about the colour of their skin.

If he/she happens to be black ? - so feckin what !!! ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

afrodub wrote: »
    Is Ireland ready to have its first black President ?

Okay , so it won`t happen in 2018 !

But and its a BIG but :)

In 2025 can you see a qualified candidate emerging from the Black Irish population ? With the added plus of positively changing voting demographics by 2025 , will Ireland soon be ready for its first Black Irish President ?

Why black? I am still waiting for a Native American President!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

A Black, Jewish, Gay, Transgender Traveller President[

We already have a gay president............ oh we arent allowed talk about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

AnneFrank wrote: »
    That's the problem, with inbreeding there may not be a pure white person in 50 years, any species or race dying out is sad
    Regarding race, wouldn't that be from the opposite of inbreeding?

What's so sad about it?

For the sake of our species going forward, I'd say the sooner we get to a point in the future where nobody can lay credible claim to any sort of racial purity the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Odhinn wrote: »
    On population size there'd be a Polish president first, were things that straightforward.

born and raised black irish person is a lot more likely to become president than a foreign born and raised white person who becomes an irish citizen .
    somene born here and raised here to polish parents becoming president . ya i could agree that is more likely though purely on numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Odhinn wrote: »

things would be more straightforward with a polish overlord.
    they don't seem to care for the nonsense our current leftie failed poet does.

We had a chance for a great black president but Sharkey couldn't get the support necessary from either the Dail or the Councils. Fools the lot of them

He'd have made a great president.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We should have no President, it's nothing but a cushy number flying all around the world staying in fancy hotels at taxpayers expense and being paid more than the Taoiseach.

No wonder the little old man wants to get another 7 years out of it.

I's have voted for Sharkey though if he got through the nomination process, it was bad enough having to listen to Robinson and her leftie spiel but Mickey D takes it to another level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

We should have no President, it's nothing but a cushy number flying all around the world staying in fancy hotels at taxpayers expense and being paid more than the Taoiseach.

No wonder the little old man wants to get another 7 years out of it.

In fairness to both Robinson and MacAleese, they got things moving behind the scenes and on the scene with the peace process. They were great with the diplomatic end and commerce.

Who the hell wants another 7 years of bad poetry and how the wind moves Ancient Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Black Irish president makes no sense.

The black population is at 1% and that's only a recent thing.

Ireland is white and should have a white president.

Have we not got a Indian at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

jimbev wrote: »
    Have we not got a Indian at the moment

And a lot of cowboys

Advertisement