Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuart Oldings Costs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

VonZan wrote: »
    Obviously the state should pay for legal fees when they fail to get a prosecution.

It's difficult to know what really happened but there is no doubt that the prosecutions case was flawed and ultimately that's why they lost.

If it is 'difficult' to know what happened maybe it's the case they didn't do what was alleged? And that it was consensual. And that is why 'they' lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I always wondered why innocent men deleted their text messages detailing what they'd done.

#1 reason? i put something in the wrong whatsapp thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It is wrong that people lost their jobs despite being proved not guilty. Very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It is wrong that people lost their jobs despite being proved not guilty. Very wrong.

Of course, you can argue that they brought their employers into disrepute by their comments but that doesn't hold water as Gilroy is still there and he was the worst offender in the chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If the P.S.N.I. investigators had asked the questions that the defence counsel asked there would have been no trial. Afraid to do so in case they offended someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Said it at the time, saying it again: when you've a high-profile job, you're pretty much on duty 24/7. Playing rugby is only part of the job (especially when you do it for your country).

Not saying this is right or wrong, but it IS the reality.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Edgware wrote: »
    If the P.S.N.I. investigators had asked the questions that the defence counsel asked there would have been no trial. Afraid to do so in case they offended someone.

PSNI initially recommended no charges, PPS went with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Agreed. Employers should not be allowed to terminate people for non-criminal activities which take place outside of working hours. Criminal conviction is obviously an entirely legitimate cause for dismissal, but beyond that it should be limited to activities undertaken while actually on the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Ah jaysus, somebody had to drag this story up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Presumably if you were in Oldings position , anyone that said you were found innocent you immediately correct by saying " well actually no, they just couldn't prove the case against me"?

No, I’d remind them that I am innocent and always was innocent.

FWIW I think he should have his costs awarded, I just thought the OP had an unnecessary dig at the woman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement