Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuart Oldings Costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I didn't realise it was a civil case.
    I was under the impression it was a criminal case taken by the public prosecutor, and the woman was a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I know this is an emotive and divisive issue.

She did not incur any legal costs because she made her case to the Police, the Police sent the file to the CPS, the CPS decided they had a more than reasonable chance of securing a conviction....she was only ever a witness to her case and was treated as such.

What did happen or didn't happen in that room that night is not what landed him in court. It is how the four lads reacted and behaved and recalled the night is why the CPS took the case to a jury...they only have themselves to blame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

tretorn wrote: »
    , this is a high cost to pay for engaging in consensual sex.

careful now...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/stuart-olding-seeks-legal-costs-of-rape-trial-alleging-flawed-prosecution-case-1.3661737

I see this young man has applied for his legal costs.

I really hope he succeeds. The woman who claimed he raped her had her legal costs paid and the Jury didnt believe her.

Olding had to leave his family and friends and relocate to France, he will probably never play rugby in Ireland again, this is a high cost to pay for engaging in consensual sex.

That’s incorrect. There is no cost to pay for engaging in consensual sex. The cost of his solicitors fees is all he’s able to claim for in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/stuart-olding-seeks-legal-costs-of-rape-trial-alleging-flawed-prosecution-case-1.3661737

I see this young man has applied for his legal costs.

I really hope he succeeds. The woman who claimed he raped her had her legal costs paid and the Jury didnt believe her.

Olding had to leave his family and friends and relocate to France, he will probably never play rugby in Ireland again, this is a high cost to pay for engaging in consensual sex.

The jury made no comment on whether they believed her or not, just that the prosecution didn’t prove their case.

Nice dig though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She did not incur any legal costs because she made her case to the Police, the Police sent the file to the CPS, the CPS decided they had a more than reasonable chance of securing a conviction....she was only ever a witness to her case and was treated as such.

What did happen or didn't happen in that room that night is not what landed him in court. It is how the four lads reacted and behaved and recalled the night is why the CPS took the case to a jury...they only have themselves to blame.

Stuart Olding was charged on a single count of rape.

He was not charged for doing anything else.

This post has been redacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

amcalester wrote: »
    The jury made no comment on whether they believed her or not, just that the prosecution didn’t prove their case.

Nice dig though.

Presumably if you were in Oldings position , anyone that said you were found innocent you immediately correct by saying " well actually no, they just couldn't prove the case against me"?

Presumably if you were in Oldings position , anyone that said you were found innocent you immediately correct by saying " well actually no, they just couldn't prove the case against me"?

In Olding’s position, Olding would be correct, as he was always presumed innocent, and it was up to the Prosecution to make a case against him, which they failed to do because they weren’t able to convince a jury that he should be found guilty.

The alleged victim wasn’t on trial and was only appearing as a witness for the State in their case against Olding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Olding's statement after the verdict was reasonable and contrite and leaves a good impression. I hope he gets some of the costs covered. ~With regards the other one, " no comment"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Well, isnt that the pile of sh1t3...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

I have so many posts on this page on ignore.

The guy has indeed paid a high price considering he was acquitted in a court of law.

I certainly hope he has his costs awarded to him.

However, can you imagine the outrage of the morons who marched against the verdict of a court in a different jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have so many posts on this page on ignore.

The guy has indeed paid a high price considering he was acquitted in a court of law.

I certainly hope he has his costs awarded to him.

However, can you imagine the outrage of the morons who marched against the verdict of a court in a different jurisdiction?

The hash tag will be back along with people who have no interest in rugby suddenly acting all interested in it saying they'd boycott it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I always wondered why innocent men deleted their text messages detailing what they'd done.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always wondered why innocent men deleted their text messages detailing what they'd done.

Lots of people delete texts for various reasons.
    Example they don't want girlfriends/family reading them.

It’s not that hard to figure out that they deleted their text messages because they were acutely aware of how those messages would make them look like a pack of ignorant twats. Obviously deleting their messages still didn’t stop them looking like a pack of ignorant twats, but the messages becoming public wouldn’t have helped them look any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I always wondered why somebody who feels under threat in a room with somebody goes back voluntarily to that room, twice. But there you go, nowt stranger than folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A person who is found not guilty in court should never have to pay for their own defence, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No need to retry the case here. An objective view, that most people feel is that with the testimony of the second woman who looked into the room is that the case should not have gone to court, with the DPP having her sworn statement.

This happened for other reasons, within the NI justice system. It wouldn't go to trial in the ROI or UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Most likely knowing that the texts, if made public, would be used to smear and damage them regardless of any court verdict. Which, indeed, is exactly what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If that were the case why didn't they all delete all of their texts?

It could just well be a case where the person deleted it as that's what they do, nothing to do with the case.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If that were the case why didn't they all delete all of their texts?

It could just well be a case where the person deleted it as that's what they do, nothing to do with the case.

I’m only guessing here but I guess they didn’t imagine there was anything wrong with the messages they didn’t delete, and it’s only when those messages were made public and coloured by a completely different context that they made the men involved look as bad as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Why are they not marching against the convicted rapist released today in Dublin ? I would join them for that -
    Why are they not marching against Ronaldo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It’s not that hard to figure out that they deleted their text messages because they were acutely aware of how those messages would make them look like a pack of ignorant twats. Obviously deleting their messages still didn’t stop them looking like a pack of ignorant twats, but the messages becoming public wouldn’t have helped them look any better.

A pack of ignorant twats they may be, but they weren't charged with being a pack of ignorant twats. Does the penalty vary between being an ignorant twat and belonging to a pack of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

IM OFFENDED, VERY, VERY OFFENDES ... OFFENDED #Offended

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What? On trial for WhatsApp chats?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Throw up all your txts from you phone there for us to go through........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

With the world cup coming up next year, I hope to see Paddy Jackson back in the fold.

We need options at out half.

feargale wrote: »
    A pack of ignorant twats they may be, but they weren't charged with being a pack of ignorant twats. Does the penalty vary between being an ignorant twat and belonging to a pack of them?

The penalties depend on the circumstances of each and every case. In some circumstances people will simply roll their eyes and carry on about their business, in other cases the person or people involved may lose their employment as their employer wishes to disassociate themselves from any association with such attitudes and behaviours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Obviously the state should pay for legal fees when they fail to get a prosecution.

It's difficult to know what really happened but there is no doubt that the prosecutions case was flawed and ultimately that's why they lost.

Advertisement