Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I moustache you a question..

Options
  • 12-10-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭

More of a lurker with After Hours but this has been on my brain. Do people really like moustaches? Are there people who would list a moustache as an attractive quality like so many do with beards?

A friend from work showed us photos of him before he shaved off his moustache, the women in the office all quite bluntly said they didn't like moustaches, most of the men had a bit of a laugh. He said the girlfriend made him shave it off but he wants to grow it back saying he loves how he looks with one. Again people were urging him not to.

Now men with moustaches seem to get the creepy tag thrown at them apart from the odd celebrity like Burt Reynolds, Freddie Mercury or Nick Offerman, but are there people out there that find it irresistable?

I'm not judging here, even me own mother is a self-confessed moustache fan, one of the two I now know!

EDIT: Scratch that. Poll is up. Time to collect the findings.

What's your thoughts on moustaches? 46 votes

Hate em
    0% 0 votes
    Love em
    82% 38 votes
    No opinion on them
    17% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

3 words. Tom. F*ckin'. Selleck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Facial hair doesn’t suit most men. Moustaches almost never. Makes them look like a dweeb at best, and a sinister sex criminal at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If you're over 40, probably. If you're under 40, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm not disputing that there are celebrities who seem to pull it off with the sexy tag, but do normal people in the wild succeed at this too?

Don't think I've ever heard a person go on to say how much they love the moustache like the beard craze people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He is a fupping legend though.

My wife's da looks a bit like him actually with his Tash....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I dunno who, but somebody gave moustaches a bad rep. Maybe Hitler? I've had beards. Chin straps. Van dykes. Side burns. Never a moustache. Besides the obligatory one when you're shaving the beard off.

What did moustaches do to deserve the creepiness?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Tom Selleck is my Guilty pleasure ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah they only suited plain clothes cops from the 1970s and 80s.

Nobody else should have one.

Facial hair doesn’t suit most men. Moustaches almost never. Makes them look like a dweeb at best, and a sinister sex criminal at worst.

I know this is the cliché but that is what he looked like in the photos shown. Something you would see advertised on the news, he seemed to love it though and spoke about it like a lost friend.

Have criminals ruined the moustache for the average Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It's a beard world right now. Not a moustache one.

• Advertisement

Next month is ''Movember''.

Might be an opportunity to grow one out for anybody who is curious and raise some money for cancer along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

A moustache and no other facial hair just looks archaic. You might as well wear a monocle with a little chain hanging out of it.

It's a beard world right now. Not a moustache one.

It’s not though. Beards are now the preserve of crusty looking ‘metalheads’, neckbeards, and hipster sorts who didn’t get the memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Failed to grow one did we?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Agricola wrote: »
    A moustache and no other facial hair just looks archaic. You might as well wear a monocle with a little chain hanging out of it.

You probably would have said the same about full beards a few years ago.

Failed to grow one did we?

How could you fail to grown a beard? You just don’t shave. It’s not like you’ve to put fertiliser on it or something.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm not disputing that there are celebrities who seem to pull it off with the sexy tag, but do normal people in the wild succeed at this too?

Yeah probably not many but you don't see many around either. Hipsters I guess although whether they pull it off or not is another thing.
    He is a fupping legend though.

My wife's da looks a bit like him actually with his Tash....

You lucky b*stard!
    It’s not though. Beards are now the preserve of crusty looking ‘metalheads’, neckbeards, and hipster sorts who didn’t get the memo.

*Single tear*
    How could you fail to grown a beard? You just don’t shave. It’s not like you’ve to put fertiliser on it or something.

Google Lewis Grabban. Its not so much a beard as it is patches of random hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As always it depends on the individual. Even if beards are trendy, some people just look like vagrants with them no matter how much they grow.

The key to moustaches is that they must be neat, but can't be trimmed. It has to be a good strong, well grown 'tache, but it can't look messy. A pencil moustache is a style choice that require the right combination of facial feature to pull off. Everyone else needs a lot of hair.

Most people lose their nerve after the first month when it's relatively long, but still looks a bit thin and stupid. It needs another month before it loses the pubic texture and becomes softer and thicker like head hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The only clean shaven people I know are people who can't grow any sort of decent facial hair. Those with beards are none of the above.

There are far more people around with beards than not imo. That I see anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ned Flanders had one and was a hit with all the ladies....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The only clean shaven people I know are people who can't grow any sort of decent facial hair. Those with beards are none of the above.

There's certainly lots more beards around these days, but theres no way that theres more bearded lads than those without.

Ned Flanders had one and was a hit with all the ladies....

Stupid sexy flanders

uwMnhX2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Some men can't grow beards. They just have patchy bum fluff. That's not really a beard. Hence failing to grow a beard.

backup.php?getimage=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5wZXJzb25hbC5wc3UuZWR1L2FmcjMvYmxvZ3Mvc2lvd2ZhMTMvbGl0dGxlLWJveS1iZWFyZC5qcGc=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Not to mention Kevin Webster.

a614bbbd1e493138aeb8d60378aa4be3--coronation-street-the-boy.jpg

*Sploosh* ;)

There's certainly lots more beards around these days, but theres no way that theres more bearded lads than those without.

Until you walk into a GAA club/bar. Then its beards all round.

Do you work in IT support?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

• Advertisement

Looks like a young John Oates.

Advertisement