Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exeter Chiefs vs Munster match thread, Sat 13 Oct 3:15pm

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Heymans wrote: »
    He’ll have some job shifting Henderson and Toner.

His like a fourth backrower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Fantastic result.

Baffling how that Exeter team are top of the premiership, they had no ideas beyond route one.

Fair play to Duncan Williams, he had a good game.

Ah being top of the worst of the three leagues doesn't make them world beaters, I imagine they will make the knockouts though

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think munster were excellent today.
    Played the conditions perfectly, even though they had their scrum under pressure. On the line out Exeter were too afraid to throw beyond 2 and therefore played right into munsters hands.
    Williams was very good and that preformance should shut up his detractors for a while.

I know the wind was a big leveller but Exeter were poor though. They couldn't get their back line moving as most of the time when they spread out wide out was to static backs.

Typical munster away in Europe performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

hendo is off lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

We should look at this not as getting only 2 points but more importantly taking 2 points away from Exeter.
    There's a weird dynamic in the Cup group stages where you can actually screw yourself by knocking out somebody too early - they don't bother trying in subsequent games against your group opposition and let them run up bonus points/away wins. At least this way Exeter will not be folding up their tent just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Anthracite wrote: »
    There's a weird dynamic in the Cup group stages where you can actually screw yourself by knocking out somebody too early - they don't bother trying in subsequent games against your group opposition and let them run up bonus points/away wins. At least this way Exeter will not be folding up their tent just yet.

This group will be a 3 way shoot out between Glaws, Munster and Exeter. It's still possible that the return game could be to decide the top spot in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭nc6000

Don't forget James Ryan. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What a day! Great atmosphere in a cauldron stadium with a great set of home supporters. I'm thrilled with that result and I'm sure the players are as well. That's an away trip I would definitely recommend and would do again. The noise at the last attack by Exeter was immense.

Munster could have done better with their territory and attacks in the 22 but I can't be too disappointed. Exeter are an English powerhouse with a strong home record. Tadhg Beirne and POM stood out as the immense performers and I think it was Duncan Williams who saved Munster from going 17-3 down. The scrum was a major liability and we'll likely see changes in the front row next week. I'm happy for Carbery that his kick didn't cost Munster at the end. It was the correct option with an unlucky outcome.

Two points earned when the bookies thought we'd leave with one. Onwards!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Am I the only one that though POM overall wasn't great? He seemed to kick on a lot in the last 20 or so minutes but before that he's was quite poor, and gave away 3 penalties as well. Very poor discipline.

Munster will absolutely take that result. Beirne is excellent and I was happy for Duncan Williams as well. It doesn't change the fact he's bang average but Munster needed something from him and he delivered. It's like when JGP was having a poor run of games in the build up to the semi against Scarlets last year but he pulled it out of the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Proper graft and grit from Beirne.
    He is putting pressure on Henderson & Dev for the 5\19 jersey with those performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

Faugheen wrote: »
    Am I the only one that though POM overall wasn't great? He seemed to kick on a lot in the last 20 or so minutes but before that he's was quite poor, and gave away 3 penalties as well. Very poor discipline.

Munster will absolutely take that result. Beirne is excellent and I was happy for Duncan Williams as well. It doesn't change the fact he's bang average but Munster needed something from him and he delivered. It's like when JGP was having a poor run of games in the build up to the semi against Scarlets last year but he pulled it out of the bag.

Thought some of the penalties against him were 50/50. Especially the final one for playing the man in the air at the lineout. He started the game with a great turnover penalty and messed up many Exeter lineouts. A good performance marred slightly by indiscipline. Garces was awful today, didn't favour any team in particular but didn't police the breakdown or the offside line well at all and it was a free for all for most of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

almostover wrote: »
    Thought some of the penalties against him were 50/50. Especially the final one for playing the man in the air at the lineout. He started the game with a great turnover penalty and messed up many Exeter lineouts. A good performance marred slightly by indiscipline. Garces was awful today, didn't favour any team in particular but didn't police the breakdown or the offside line well at all and it was a free for all for most of the game

POM has a tendency to jumps across the lineout. Think that was why he got pinged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I thought Garces had a cracking game considering the nature of the match.

He let it flow where he could, he wasn't afraid to allow a contest at the breakdown and he didn't make any noticeable errors.

POM had a very good game but conceded four penalties by my count, that could have cost them on another day.

Edit: one error that Garces made was letting Conway off the hook after creaming Steenson. Conway was very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

He let it flow where he could, he wasn't afraid to allow a contest at the breakdown and he didn't make any noticeable errors.

POM had a very good game but conceded four penalties by my count, that could have cost them on another day.

Edit: one error that Garces made was letting Conway off the hook after creaming Steenson. Conway was very lucky.

You can watch a replay of the Conway incident here...

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/andrew-conway-gareth-steenson-180961?fbclid=IwAR0PxUN1nVs7gM1XvOc9pNr9DIudOa83jcn0Rdz26HpB76jgdEJFdAXsiYg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Steenson is slow to kick, the 2 points with the wind was crucial. Fair play to Conway for going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Munster let that one get away, they should have won it.

Too many mistakes in the Exeter 22. How many times did they give up possession with only a few meters to the line?

This was a match that was set up for Munster to win at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Munster let that one get away, they should have won it.

Too many mistakes in the Exeter 22. How many times did they give up possession with only a few meters to the line?

This was a match that was set up for Munster to win at half time.
    Yeah. On the one hand I was surprised at how fragile Exeter looked at times and on the other hand was frustrated at how many times Munster let them off the hook with a metaphorical inch between them and a score.

Munster's best play was in defence though. Line speed was excellent and for the most part accurate. It put Exeter under all kinds of pressure which is what really surprised me.

Anyhoo, was a great result, even if it just felt that there was more there for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

typhoony wrote: »

Very very lucky boy, he clearly made contact with the head with his elbow. Doubt it was a deliberate attempt but given the current directives I’m amazed he didn’t get a yellow for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Any chance Williams will get a call up in the November internationals based on the back of this sensational appearance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Mc Love wrote: »
    Any chance Williams will get a call up in the November internationals based on the back of this sensational appearance?
    Thats just unnecessary. Your criticisms in past have been OTT. Dont go like that.
    Williams was very good today but the potshot isnt needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Obviously I'm biased as Leinster fan, but over the last couple of weeks Ruddock has comfortably looked the best 6 in Ireland.

POM's performance today and Ruddock's last night has only further cemented that view in my mind. POM is world class but he needs to buck up, that Ireland jersey doesn't belong to him.

Thats just unnecessary. Your criticisms in past have been OTT. Dont go like that.
    Williams was very good today but the potshot isnt needed.

What are you talking about? He was sensational today, if you don't think he's good enough for a call up, just say it, don't take a swipe at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

troyzer wrote: »
    Obviously I'm biased as Leinster fan, but over the last couple of weeks Ruddock has comfortably looked the best 6 in Ireland.

POM's performance today and Ruddock's last night has only further cemented that view in my mind. POM is world class but he needs to buck up, that Ireland jersey doesn't belong to him.

Wasn't Leavy selected ahead of Ruddock only this weekend?
    Of course the jersey doesn't belong to POM but barring injury or a drastic drop in form I would be very surprised if he doesn't start at 6 vs NZ in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

What are you talking about? He was sensational today, if you don't think he's good enough for a call up, just say it, don't take a swipe at me.
    He was very good today but bit strange considering many of your previous comments on DW. I dont see him as good enough for a cap and as he's 32 it would be a waste. Better used on younger players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I agree. I though he was good today. He was consistent with his decisions ( which is what we all ask for) so I couldn't complain about any decisions he made. I don't remember any really controversial decisions ( I think the Conway one was a pen at the worst) unlike last week where Whitehouse was the story.

With respects to the match, a draw would have been a great result for Munster before the game, but it turned out that it was a bit disappointing that we weren't winning it up to 79 mins and then we were delighted to get away with the draw.

Tis also a pity I didn't manage to get there. (FU Ryanair) but I think I spotted our two empty seats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Double tackle from Duncan Williams😀

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Yeah, saw that. Unbelievable work rate to get back and make two tackles. Was still getting his breath back when the scrum was being set. :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, saw that. Unbelievable work rate to get back and make two tackles. Was still getting his breath back when the scrum was being set. :D

I thought he played fairly well overall, for all the stick he gets.

He was very good today but bit strange considering many of your previous comments on DW. I dont see him as good enough for a cap and as he's 32 it would be a waste. Better used on younger players.

Yeah it's easy to forget his age, but to be fair the amount of praise he's getting would seem a call up is likely, i thought he did ok yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Yeah it's easy to forget his age, but to be fair the amount of praise he's getting would seem a call up is likely, i thought he did ok yesterday.

I thought he played very well yesterday but when Munster were near the try line in the first half I think he threw a pass which was too high and killed momentum, next phase Munster knocked on. At least that's how I remember it, didn't see it back since.

• Advertisement

Roanmore wrote: »
    I thought he played very well yesterday but when Munster were near the try line in the first half I think he threw a pass which was too high and killed momentum, next phase Munster knocked on. At least that's how I remember it, didn't see it back since.

He had a good game overall yesterday, but a lot of his passing was poor again. There were a lot of passes that had Carbery reaching above his head to catch and there was one pass to nobody in Exeters 22 cost us 40-50 meters and killed our momentum. He'll always give 100% and he can tackle like a demon, but the sooner Mathewson and Murray are fit the better.

McGrath, Marimon and Cooney are all ahead of him (and younger). He's very unlikely to get an international call up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've never seen fans hate their own player as ridiculously as some Munster fans seem to hate DW. It's so OTT.

I've never seen fans hate their own player as ridiculously as some Munster fans seem to hate DW. It's so OTT.

I don't hate any player. Even opposition players. I simply don't rate DW. While he did very well yesterday, the issues with his passing were still apparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

There's a couple of Muppets online who give him grief, most fans imo don't have an issue with him and recognise he's a good backup

Edit: to be fair I don't think anyone hates him either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭phog

Had a great weekend in Devon, the Exeter fans are brilliant which made the match so much more enjoyable. It was a trip I always wanted to do and was delighted to see them in our group this season.

Before the game I was thinking I'd be happy with a 4-0 result, I hoped for a 4-1 and even thought it could well be a 5-0 result but to be fair we fully deserved the draw. I hadn't seen about Earls pulling up in training so when I missed him off the field my hopes about getting anything form the game were dashed. Thankfully Sweetnam is a good replacement. I think Munster could have won it but Exeter should have won it, the Williams tackle was a try saver but the player played into his hand by heading infield to make a conversion easier. Had the ball remained on the sideline then it a was certain try.

Beirne & POM were immense at the breakdown, Carbery did well with a very difficult wind bar that last kick. I thought it was curtains for us but they never opted to try to get into a DG position from the resulting scrum and from what I'd seen in the previous 80 mins I trusted our defence once they decided to try and score a try.

I thought Conway was lucky as those calls like Earls last week can really go either way.

I spoke to a few stewards after the game and they said they never heard an atmosphere like they had on Saturday and they never heard away fans being so vocal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭phog

leakyboots wrote: »
    There's a couple of Muppets online who give him grief, most fans imo don't have an issue with him and recognise he's a good backup

Edit: to be fair I don't think anyone hates him either

I think some fans can recognise and acknowledge when he has a better than normal game unfortunately others just like to be a dickhead when it comes to Duncan.

phog wrote: »
    I think some fans can recognise and acknowledge when he has a better than normal game unfortunately others just like to be a dickhead when it comes to Duncan.
    That double tackle should be rolled out whenever said muppets raise their heads. Chap gave everything to the cause on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

phog wrote: »
    . I think Munster could have won it but Exeter should have won it, the Williams tackle was a try saver but the player played into his hand by heading infield to make a conversion easier. Had the ball remained on the sideline then it a was certain try.

The Exeter player had no choice but to head infield, Haley was outside him coming infield and closing fast, and Sweetnam came across from the otherside so the exeter player had to try step him on the inside. If he had gone for the touch line or even between the two Munster players closing in on him he would 100% have been stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Anyone on here got a link to where I can catch the match in full.

Had to work on Saturday and the sky box had a moment which nearly resulted in it being fecked out the window when I did get home.

crasy dash wrote: »
    Anyone on here got a link to where I can catch the match in full.

Had to work on Saturday and the sky box had a moment which nearly resulted in it being fecked out the window when I did get home.
    It wasn't a great game tbh. A lot of frustrating errors and lack of a clinical edge at crucial times. One of those games that's edge of the seat when watching live, but intensely boring when you know the result. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It wasn't a great game tbh. A lot of frustrating errors and lack of a clinical edge at crucial times. One of those games that's edge of the seat when watching live, but intensely boring when you know the result. :)

I was about to strenuously disagree....but then the bold part is 100% accurate :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭twinytwo

troyzer wrote: »

POM was superb on Saturday, the only real fault was the penalty from pulling down the jumper during the lineout in the Exeter 22.

Since POC, POM is one of the few who would literally die for the jersey.

That being said, if Ireland have POM, Berine, Best and Leavy on the pitch at the same time that is a filthy amount of potential turnover ball..

twinytwo wrote: »
    POM was superb on Saturday, the only real fault was the penalty from pulling down the jumper during the lineout in the Exeter 22.

Since POC, POM is one of the few who would literally die for the jersey.

That being said, if Ireland have POM, Berine, Best and Leavy on the pitch at the same time that is a filthy amount of potential turnover ball..
    And that's leaving a few other contenders out. Contrast that with the situation across the water after a couple of injuries in that department and the head scratching about who to bring in. It never ceases to surprise me how a country with that many pro players can't come up with at least two international squads, never mind one.

Advertisement