Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Exeter Chiefs vs Munster match thread, Sat 13 Oct 3:15pm

  • 12-10-2018 12:02pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Greetings from Torquay!

    CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE MUNSTER

    15 Phil Dollman
    14 Jack Nowell
    13 Henry Slade
    12 Ian Whitten
    11 Santiago Cordero
    10 Gareth Steenson (capt)
    9 Stuart Townsend
    1 Ben Moon
    2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
    3 Harry Williams
    4 Dave Dennis
    5 Sam Skinner
    6 Dave Ewers
    7 Don Armand
    8 Matt Kvesic

    16 Jack Yeandle
    17 Alec Hepburn
    18 Tomas Francis
    19 Ollie Atkins
    20 Tom Lawday
    21 Jack Maunder
    22 Joe Simmonds
    23 Sam Hill

    Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Duncan Williams;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander.

    Replacements: Rhys Marshall, James Cronin, John Ryan, Billy Holland, Tommy O’Donnell, Neil Cronin, JJ Hanrahan, Sammy Arnold.

    Very tough assignment. Exeter have been excellent in the Premiership and the bookmakers suggest Munster will leave with no return from the game.

    Mike Haley returns from injury, showing confidence in him after Sweetnam's string form on the wing. Cloete gets the nod at openside, his energy around the park will be crucial.


«13456789

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭ leakyboots


    Enjoy the match, shout yourself hoarse horse

    Plenty of impact on that bench, should be a cracker


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    Winning bonus point should be the minimum Munster look to come away with.

    Two very evenly matched teams but Baxter have had Exeter humming for a good few seasons now and they can take a lot of confidence from their consistency.

    Still question marks over Munster's away form and ability to score against top defences. I think if the pack can get any kind of parity and keep possession relatively even it will go a long way to keeping Munster in it.

    If conditions are poor I worry about Munster having to kick the ball a lot. Exeter are too comfortable in possession and it would be a mistake to offer it on a plate. Between Carbery, Scannel, Earls and Conway there is going to be a need for something a bit special because the backline simply has to pull it's weight on the scoreboard or Exeter will put 15+ on you.

    Going by Munster's shape last week expect POM and Beirne to be showing up in the wider channels a fair bit.

    Easily Munster's toughest pool game first up. Real challenge, hope ye pull it off.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭ yerrahbah


    Venjur wrote: »
    Winning bonus point should be the minimum Munster look to come away with.

    Two very evenly matched teams but Baxter have had Exeter humming for a good few seasons now and they can take a lot of confidence from their consistency.

    Still question marks over Munster's away form and ability to score against top defences. I think if the pack can get any kind of parity and keep possession relatively even it will go a long way to keeping Munster in it.

    If conditions are poor I worry about Munster having to kick the ball a lot. Exeter are too comfortable in possession and it would be a mistake to offer it on a plate. Between Carbery, Scannel, Earls and Conway there is going to be a need for something a bit special because the backline simply has to pull it's weight on the scoreboard or Exeter will put 15+ on you.

    Going by Munster's shape last week expect POM and Beirne to be showing up in the wider channels a fair bit.

    Easily Munster's toughest pool game first up. Real challenge, hope ye pull it off.

    I'm guessing that is a typo


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    yerrahbah wrote: »
    I'm guessing that is a typo

    Nah f**k it, go over and wreck them!

    I think the consensus from the media is that a losing bonus point would be a good start.

    I'd agree, but it's worth noting that Exeter have very good away form and won't fear coming to Thomond.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭ yerrahbah


    Some big calls there.
    Haley over Sweetnam, Goggin over Arnold, TOD over Botha being the closest calls I'd imagine.
    Bench looks a lot stronger with Marshall and Ryan back.
    Great to see Neil Cronin back on the bench.
    Big test for the halfbacks.
    A losing BP and deny Exeter a BP would be a great result IMO.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭ Buer


    Forecast is currently for winds of over 70kmh around kick off and a wet day. This could be a real up the jumper battle. Whoever manages the conditions better will be in the ascendancy.

    I'd be surprised if anyone manages 4 tries in those conditions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭ Dave_The_Sheep


    Venjur wrote: »
    I'd agree, but it's worth noting that Exeter have very good away form and won't fear coming to Thomond.

    If they play the same way against Munster as they did against Leinster in both games last year, I can't see Munster getting a win in either fixture. Here's hoping though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    I hope Exeter is less windy tomorrow than Torquay is tonight. It's wild.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Still wild here in Torquay, hoping for calm in Exeter later.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭ Buer


    Don't check the forecast so...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Buer wrote: »
    Don't check the forecast so...

    I know.

    Our pashun will be heard from the stands, no matter the weather.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    Interesting stuff from O'Gara in the Times and worth a read.

    Just on the article heading, O'Gara is right - in all the talk of losing bonus points, Munster would become a tournament favourite with a win this afternoon.

    This could easily be the game of the weekend, absolutely can't wait.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭ kuang1


    Venjur wrote: »
    Interesting stuff from O'Gara in the Times and worth a read.

    Just on the article heading, O'Gara is right - in all the talk of losing bonus points, Munster would become a tournament favourite with a win this afternoon.

    This could easily be the game of the weekend, absolutely can't wait.

    I was chatting with a pal last night about the reasons we love rugby.
    One of them being that at top tier, no outcome can be assumed in advance.
    SA in NZ, England at Murrayfield AND at Paris earlier this year, perhaps it's less common in the Heineken Cup. Wasps in Dublin in 2015?

    But even with my red tinted glasses on, something odds-defying is due.


    Or to quote Legolas:

    "Something stirs in the East"


  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ Kaizer Sosa


    Venjur wrote: »
    Winning bonus point should be the minimum Munster look to come away with.

    If that's the minimum they should come away with, I can't wait to see the best case scenario.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    A lot of red jerseys in the city centre.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Weather has calmed down.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 Elvisjuice


    Weather has calmed down.

    is there more rain on the way ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Elvisjuice wrote: »
    is there more rain on the way ?

    Still a bit blustery compared to earlier, perhaps!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭ kuang1


    Still a bit blustery compared to earlier, perhaps!

    But is it to rain in the afternoon?


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    kuang1 wrote: »
    But is it to rain in the afternoon?

    9% precipitation per Google at 3pm


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    9% precipitation per Google at 3pm
    So snow then. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Weather Update #453

    The sun was out briefly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭ Jump_In_Jack


    Could the channel be added to the thread title please?
    BT Sport 2, coverage/build-up begins at 3pm.
    Edit - that’s ROI, no idea who has the rights elsewhere sorry


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 33,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pickarooney


    any streams for this?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭ budhabob


    Weather Update #453

    The sun was out briefly.
    Looks dry and windy


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭ razorblunt


    Earls injured in the warmup.
    Sweetnam starts


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭ c.p.w.g.w


    Where is Keith Earls


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭ MaybeMaybe


    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Where is Keith Earls

    Munster twitter says he pulled up in the warm-up. Sweetnam in. Huge loss


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭ budhabob


    Great steal by Munster....cloete with the scrum cap had me confused, thought Williams was everywhere.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭ MaybeMaybe




Advertisement