Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arc Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Enable beat cloth of stars two lengths last year with all allowances and 1 or so this year with just the fillys allowance so gosden can spoof all he wants she was fit the form stacks up, the arc this year was filled with absolute rags and Doyle could most certainly have made more use of sea of class and I fully expect sea of class to reverse form if they meet again

The time and rating guru's would tend to hold up the theory from Gosden. Which tbh i tend to agree with.
    Cloth of Stars was coming off the back of a Group 1 win in the Ganay as well as a 2nd in the Foy. He has simply not been in the same form this year so id be wary enough to be rating the race through him.

She looked like she got extremely tired in front which is nothing she has ever shown in a race before.
    Id be a huge Sea of Class fan but i think Enable would comfortably beat her off a better prep. Tbh im not really sure why they dont try and ride her closer to the pace. Its not like they have tried it and it hasnt worked.

Hopefully they are both back to their best again next year and they do battle a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

On looking at the race again. Sea of class was out in plenty of time. Enable actually put more distance between them after she got clear and then got tired. Id say in fairness to doyle, when he initially got out he would have been fairly sure of getting past, but enable had a turn of foot then.

Its a great race but it badly needs to be reduced in size just to more evenly distribute the luck factor. Amazingly the best horse still manages to win most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

kiers47 wrote: »
    The time and rating guru's would tend to hold up the theory from Gosden. Which tbh i tend to agree with.
    Cloth of Stars was coming off the back of a Group 1 win in the Ganay as well as a 2nd in the Foy. He has simply not been in the same form this year so id be wary enough to be rating the race through him.

She looked like she got extremely tired in front which is nothing she has ever shown in a race before.
    Id be a huge Sea of Class fan but i think Enable would comfortably beat her off a better prep. Tbh im not really sure why they dont try and ride her closer to the pace. Its not like they have tried it and it hasnt worked.

Hopefully they are both back to their best again next year and they do battle a couple of times.

It was probably one of the worst Arc wins in modern history. Last year Enable posted a 126 rpr winning performance which would equate to an 129 rpr for a colt. This year she ran to 122 rpr, even Solemia and Found ran to 124 rpr. There's no question in my mind that the draw beat Sea Of Class, a bad draw has floored the likes of Gosden's own Taghrooda in previous years.

I don't buy the poor preparation excuse for Enable's lesser win this year. For sure whatever held her up during the year has diminished her form but she was in top shape for her impressive reappearance win so another 3 weeks to the Arc would have left her in as good shape as she'll ever be in again. It was always going to be near impossible for Enable to reach the same form level at 4 that she showed at 3 simply because she was such a good 3yo.

Looking back at the Arc, it's seemingly blindingly obvious that the decision to cut the French Derby trip from 12f to 10 1/2f has made a balls of the Arc and it's only the sheer quantity of Gp1 winners that make it to the Arc that's disguising what the Arc has lost since the 3yo French Colts lost their way at 12f.

It's no accident that fillies and Epsom Derby winners have won every Arc since 2008.

Advertisement