Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 4 day week

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is the NZ link. Similar to you Mr. S.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/02/no-downside-new-zealand-firm-adopts-four-day-week-after-successful-trial

People work long hours with little holidays in the US, but their productivity is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

gw80 wrote: »
    Bit off topic but, I heard it was hard to get into the Norwegian sector? The reason I ask is I have the MIST, BOSIET, AND CAEBS, for the British sector but I never got a chance to get out, bad timing, it's up for renewal next year, am wondering would I be better off trying to get into the Norwegian sector instead,

None of the above are valid in Norwegian sector, there are a few differences but Norwegian companies insist on their own certs. What trade are you in ?...P.M and I can maybe point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Del2005 wrote: »
    Women started working outside the home and when their income was combined with their partners they could spend more, so because they could spend more the cost of things with limited supply went up. When I was young nearly all mothers worked in the home and a single income could provide. Since women entered the workforce a single income struggles to provide.

Unintended consequences of women entering the workforce is now they don't have a choice but to enter the workforce.

One worker can still buy a house easily. Just not in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Pkiernan wrote: »
    There's already far too much dole in tis country.
    How about redistributing responsibility instead?

Redistributing wealth != increasing the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I usually work from home on Fridays, it’s a loose affair and the flexibility is great. Not a 4 day week but close as I’ll get at the moment.

For 13 years I worked compressed cycle shifts, 3 days and 4 days each alternative week, sadly it also rotated nights/days every other month which was murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I like my job and work a 5 day week.

A colleague recently reduced his hours to a 4 day week, his work wasn't reduced though. He's more stressed out now than before and less well paid.

I'd like a 4 day week...but not one like his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When I was a kid they were predicting a much-reduced working week. One earner used to be able to provide a home, car and summer holiday. Something went badly wrong along the way.

They also predicted the paperless office by the 21st century. Futurologists in "Futurologists can't see the future shock" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I work on a 28 day roster with 24hr shifts, 8 days going in at 11am, 8 days finished at 11am with another 12 full days off. Can be a balls if something comes up at very short notice and I can't swap but I love my time off

Neames wrote: »
    I like my job and work a 5 day week.

A colleague recently reduced his hours to a 4 day week, his work wasn't reduced though. He's more stressed out now than before and less well paid.

I'd like a 4 day week...but not one like his.

He is doing it wrong, most people who do a 3 or 4 day week stilll work the same/similar hours overall and get paid the same. Some even get paid the same for less hours, difference between a good employer and a bad one really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I know some teachers who jobshare-they work one week on/off and bec. of tax take home 60 pc of pay. They all love it - would love to be able to jobshare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

All for it , looking for a bit of part time work myself. Hard for a man i think they look at you as if there is something wrong with you. lazy git .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Until we figure out workable ways of distributing wealth more evenly, this is a none runner

It's more a case of reversing the upward distribution of wealth to the few I'd say, which people seem to think is natural when it's by design.
    They also predicted the paperless office by the 21st century. Futurologists in "Futurologists can't see the future shock" :)

Well if you consider email and word processing then there must have been an enormous reduction in the use of paper. There will always be a need for a hard paper trail, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some always fear change. The paradox is that countries that focus on long hours at work have poor productivity. They don't seem to ask why? Would some other way of doing things work better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Its a great idea, I remember reading ages ago about how shorter working weeks and shorter working hours creates higher productivity, less depression and stress related mental illness resulting in lower suicide rates, kids do better in school with shorter school days and longer weekends, they have more free time to play which is integral to kids mental, educational and social growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

The problem here is we will always tend to ape broken policy from the UK/US rather than progressive European style policies. Irish employers would be more likely to move to a 50 hour week than 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

When I was a kid they were predicting a much-reduced working week. One earner used to be able to provide a home, car and summer holiday. Something went badly wrong along the way.

Workers did their part, then got screwed...

US based graph but it cant be that much better elsewhere I reckon
    iCTuo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Water John wrote: »
    This is the NZ link. Similar to you Mr. S.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/02/no-downside-new-zealand-firm-adopts-four-day-week-after-successful-trial

People work long hours with little holidays in the US, but their productivity is pathetic.

NZ works a 42.5h week anyway though, vs 37.5 for most EU, so they're not really getting much better, just the same-ish as everywhere else over 4 instead of 5 days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nlrkjos wrote: »
    I work a 2 week on 4 week off rotation ! 2 weeks on is full on..12-15 hour shifts for 14 days or nights...28 days off is pure delight though, catch up on biking...hiking...drinking and a bit of "hows yer father" time off is all important, I'd say a 4 day week would be OK if the money is OK, problem is you have an extra day to spend it!

I imagine that's a hard shift pattern but I'd love a work schedule like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would people be okay with 4 days of 10 hours? After all if you work 8 officially then is another two a very big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭blackcard

Water John wrote: »
    Some always fear change. The paradox is that countries that focus on long hours at work have poor productivity. They don't seem to ask why? Would some other way of doing things work better?
    On construction sites, workers would often be given a "job and finish" A job that might normally take 8 hours would be done in 5 hours. Everyone was happy. I think that most could achieve in 4 days what currently takes 5 days. A win for employers and employees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Would people be okay with 4 days of 10 hours? After all if you work 8 officially then is another two a very big deal?

4 days of 10 hours inclusive of breaks would be the deal breaker tbh. Feck this we so generously gave you a lunch break but you now to stay here another half hour crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

I imagine that's a hard shift pattern but I'd love a work schedule like that.

14 days on is tough...but 28 days off with pay is cool, mind you the first 2 days off are zombie land, but all in all a good deal, work 16 weeks a year for a daecent wage..how bad !

Advertisement