Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 4 day week

Options
  • 06-10-2018 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭

We went from a 6 day week to a 5 1/2 day week to most people working a 5 day week. With automation and higher productivity, we could be headed for a 4 day week. What effect will this have on society? Short trips abroad? More drinking? Will we be happier? Will we have enough money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nurses work a 4 day week (long days) with many years. Do they drink too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

I work a 2 week on 4 week off rotation ! 2 weeks on is full on..12-15 hour shifts for 14 days or nights...28 days off is pure delight though, catch up on biking...hiking...drinking and a bit of "hows yer father" time off is all important, I'd say a 4 day week would be OK if the money is OK, problem is you have an extra day to spend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I work a 4 day week. Hoping to go 3 days shortly. My time is more important to me than money

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

nlrkjos wrote: »
    I work a 2 week on 4 week off rotation ! 2 weeks on is full on..12-15 hour shifts for 14 days or nights...28 days off is pure delight though, catch up on biking...hiking...drinking and a bit of "hows yer father" time off is all important, I'd say a 4 day week would be OK if the money is OK, problem is you have an extra day to spend it!

Interesting. What line of work are you in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Sounds deadly. You work in mining/offshore work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I am starting to work a 35 hour week in January. Can't wait. Also get paid overtime. I get 30 days annual leave and every minute I work over 35 hours is given as further annual leave. It works on a clock in clock out system. The guys working there told me productivity increased when they switched to 35-hour contracts.

The NZ Co that trialled a four day week (32 hours) have decided to switch to it.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Sounds deadly. You work in mining/offshore work?

Yeah , offshore oil/gas in Norway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

more time for masturbation

Hector you can do that sitting at the office desk, multi tasking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

When I was a kid they were predicting a much-reduced working week. One earner used to be able to provide a home, car and summer holiday. Something went badly wrong along the way.

The wealth boys saw this and decided they'd have more of the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

When social media, texts, phone calls and home research is taken into account the week is actually a 3 day week anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Water John wrote: »
    The wealth boys? .

What? who?

I'd rather work three 12-hour days than five 8-hour days (and lose the 3 hours pay).

I used to do security and it was three 12-hour shifts, alternating with four 12-hour shifts (week of 3, week of 4). Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

4 on and 4 off for me. Long aul days at work but the pay off is so worth it. Would struggle going back to a 'standard' working week.

more time for masturbation

yep...time off is time off, even pulling the handle from your stomach can be enjoyable once you get paid for it !!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

Yeah , offshore oil/gas in Norway.

Bit off topic but, I heard it was hard to get into the Norwegian sector? The reason I ask is I have the MIST, BOSIET, AND CAEBS, for the British sector but I never got a chance to get out, bad timing, it's up for renewal next year, am wondering would I be better off trying to get into the Norwegian sector instead,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm only rostered for one shift a week(maybe 1 other depending on how busy it is) , after that I work to my own schedule, as long as all my work gets done. Usually, I work it so I've at least 3 days off a week. Kind of an odd situation considering I work in hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Short answer yes. Use to live with some. They would have a bottle of wine every night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Until we figure out workable ways of distributing wealth more evenly, this is a none runner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Reading this thread has me thinking why am I working 6 days like a fool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Until we figure out workable ways of distributing wealth more evenly, this is a none runner

There's already far too much dole in tis country.
    How about redistributing responsibility instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pkiernan wrote:
    There's already far too much dole in tis country. How about redistributing responsibility instead?

The root causes of unemployment is highly complex, particularly long term unemployment

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

physioman wrote: »
    Short answer yes. Use to live with some. They would have a bottle of wine every night.

Strange to judge every nurse out there on a few you used to share a house with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When I was a kid they were predicting a much-reduced working week. One earner used to be able to provide a home, car and summer holiday. Something went badly wrong along the way.

Women started working outside the home and when their income was combined with their partners they could spend more, so because they could spend more the cost of things with limited supply went up. When I was young nearly all mothers worked in the home and a single income could provide. Since women entered the workforce a single income struggles to provide.

Unintended consequences of women entering the workforce is now they don't have a choice but to enter the workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Del2005 wrote: »
    Women started working outside the home and when their income was combined with their partners they could spend more, so because they could spend more the cost of things with limited supply went up. When I was young nearly all mothers worked in the home and a single income could provide. Since women entered the workforce a single income struggles to provide.

Unintended consequences of women entering the workforce is now they don't have a choice but to enter the workforce.

That’s so true. Charlie mcreevys tax individualization scheme in the early 2000’s also didn’t help. It penalizes any family who decides to have just one income.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Pkiernan wrote: »
    There's already far too much dole in tis country.
    How about redistributing responsibility instead?

The point made is a different one though. With all the increase in productivity and automation increasing all the time you would think individual workload has to be going down. Has to be.
    But unfortunately all that increased productivity has been sucked up into just more profits for a small elite. And the remaining workforce has been asked to prop up the folks out of work with ever increasing taxes. So far.

* And when I'm talking about the 'elite' I'm using that word in a macro sense, like the top 0.5% in the world or so. Lets not kid ourselves. The guy who's reasonably well off with his three apartments to lease is not what I'm talking about.

But anyway, something's gotta give and it will. And if not for the big revolution or anything, but for the simple fact that you can increase productivity all you like - if you want to keep making profits someone needs to be able to buy all that sh1te thats being produced.

The profit making elite will otherwise pull the rug from under themselves and thats if the pitchforks aren't out before it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

go to coppers some night & tell me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 jellybellyelly

I work a 3 day week - after my parents died in the last few years at reasonably young ages I thought life is too short to spend a whole heap of it at work if I don't have to. Financially where I am in my career makes living on a 3 day salary possible - I'll never be rich but I'm comfortable and I travel and spend time doing things I enjoy in the 4 days out of every 7 that I'm not in work.

I can't envisage myself ever looking back and regretting the decision.

Advertisement