Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of Indo journalism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I don't take that paper seriously so it doesn't affect me.

Some decent sports writers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

in fairness...most people read free newspapers on the net now. So you get what you pay for.

Newspapers have no money to do proper investigative journalism anymore. its all clickbait headlines & dodgy advertised sites

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Regardless of the topic, I got a headache trying to read this disjointed rambling excuse for journalism.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ewan-mackenna-cristiano-ronaldo-case-should-be-a-loud-warning-and-a-sharp-turning-point-but-will-it-be-37386310.html

Article written in the form of a mystery novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I tried to read that this morning but gave up after the first paragraph. I think they were trying to be non formal and intriguing but failed utterly to capture the readers attention and so I'm guessing no one at all has actually read it or made any sense of it.

Another Indo hack journalist trying to cut their teeth in the world of journalism and failing miserably but that's what we have become used to with the Indo in recent years. The Indo journalists (if you could call them that) that writes the intro's for their stories that appear on Facebook are worse again, I have a feeling they're 4th class primary school students that writing them as they are so poorly written, childish and sensationalist regardless of how mundane the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

McKenna is dreadful*, part of the modern journalist disposition i.e. holier than thou. He'll safely throw enough **** at people like Ronaldo and pretty much taint him (and by association any male athlete, or any man in general even) as a villain. All the while he'll remain just vague enough to make it within libel laws, and also portray himself as different, as the good guy. He's an arsehole.

What I'm taking from that is that Ronaldo is guilty, Kavanaugh is guilty.....and errrrrrr somehow President Trump is at fault. Bollox!

These Ronaldo allegations sound like the most bogus bits of garbage ever, red flags all over the shop.

*he did surprisingly write a reasonably courageous article on the Serena Williams meltdown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Ewan is a very angry man on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Has become a rubbish paper .
    Anti Church and Anti GAA articles seems to be their speciality .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Everyone's a star in the eye of the Indo.

Whenever there's a fatal car crash or something, the heading is always "GAA Star killed in car accident" or something. Then you read the article and you see it was some bloke who played senior football for the some GAA club in a place you've never heard of.

And everything's always about the family. Whenever there's an electricity price rise or something that influences people's finances, it's always "families to be hit with....". What about the single people or the people with no kids? Will the price rises not affect them?

It descended into the basement long ago, Rosanna Davison and other instagram numpties fawned over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It descended into the basement long ago, Rosanna Davison and other instagram numpties fawned over.

They do seem obsessed with Kathryn Thomas for some reason. Every time she farts they do a story on her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

They do seem obsessed with Kathryn Thomas for some reason. Every time she farts they do a story on her.

"Kathryn Thomas blasts critics with gutsy rebuttal"

?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

B0jangles wrote: »

"Kathryn Thomas blasts critics with gutsy rebuttal"

?

"Kathryn Thomas blasts critics with gusty rebuttal"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Poorly written article.

D1 standard, Leaving Certificate English Paper 1 (Higher Level).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

daheff wrote: »
    in fairness...most people read free newspapers on the net now. So you get what you pay for.

Newspapers have no money to do proper investigative journalism anymore. its all clickbait headlines & dodgy advertised sites

That Independent still shifts decent numbers every day though.

The Evening Herald and 'Sindo' also do well.

They're still making coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Yes, junior cert standard would be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I remember a story that someone posted here years ago that was about a woman at a hen party, or on holidays or something. I think she was abroad. I just remember it was a completely non story that wasn't even entertaining. It had basic grammar mistakes and nothing made sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Everyone's a star in the eye of the Indo.

Whenever there's a fatal car crash or something, the heading is always "GAA Star killed in car accident" or something. Then you read the article and you see it was some bloke who played senior football for the some GAA club in a place you've never heard of.

And everything's always about the family. Whenever there's an electricity price rise or something that influences people's finances, it's always "families to be hit with....". What about the single people or the people with no kids? Will the price rises not affect them?

I think the Indo website is the only place I've seen "Snapchat Star" used in a non ironic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Regardless of the topic, I got a headache trying to read this disjointed rambling excuse for journalism.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ewan-mackenna-cristiano-ronaldo-case-should-be-a-loud-warning-and-a-sharp-turning-point-but-will-it-be-37386310.html

All those words, no semblance of a message to impart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Its one very small step up from the sun.

Therefore I dont read it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sports should be watched, not read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

They fawn endlessly over Vague Williams and "Ayrelands princess" Amy Huberman like to no end.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The general standard of Irish journalism is poor ( That includes you Gemma with your conspiracy theories)
    Look at how they give Michael D a free run. When he said If relected he is "open" to having the Aras accounts checked not one journalist said "Surely its not up to you to decide whether we can check them or not"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

INM is an advertising company.
    The indo is a sideline and quality doesn't come into it.

It is generally poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

imme wrote: »
    INM is an advertising company.
    The indo is a sideline and quality doesn't come into it.

It is generally poor.

Perhaps. But it is surely not too much to expect that one can read an article and follow it reasonably easy. The article is a car crash.

Newspapers have no money to do proper investigative journalism anymore.

Yeah, right? So, what was the excuse of that ragbag of incredible world-class cúnts, and arch sycophants of their tax-dodging oligarch owner "Sir" Anthony O'Reilly, who call themselves "journalists" before the internet?

You know, when they were, as they remain, pissing upon and demonising the poor, the marginalised, nationalists in the Six Counties, and any section of Irish society that refused to kowtow to the awesome power which Anthony O'Reilly exerted to undermine Irish democracy over a period of 40 years? When they were, as they remain, pushing the whole low-taxes-for-the-rich-but-fúck-everybody-else free market agenda? When they were talking down Eircom shares as nauseam before O'Reilly bought them at a steal, and talked them up ad nauseam before he sold them at a huge profit? (a special hello to arch sycophant Shane Ross for that one) When they were everything that was crude, crass, classless, cultureless, anglocentric, vacuous, superficial and backstabbing about the Celtic Tiger?

This horseshíte about that rag, or indeed the bootboys for the conceited rag on the other side of the Liffey, that they were fearless public interest investigative journalists until the internet came is beyond contempt. The Independent Newspapers cúnts in the 1913 Lockout were cheering from their windows as the poor of Dublin were beaten black and blue by Dublin's British colonial policeforce carrying out the orders of their then owner William Martin Murphy.

Independent Newspapers is ethically a thoroughly objectionable outfit by any metric, be it in 1913, 1993 or 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Certainly not into the difficult stories like The Examiner, who have a report on how our Justice Minister welcomes child abuse.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Certainly not into the difficult stories like The Examiner, who have a report on how our Justice Minister welcomes child abuse.

Actually, that's not even journalism, it's merely a rehash of a Press Release issued by Charlie's Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ewan Mc kenna is a Dunphy wannabe/troll

Say ****e and wait for the hits.

You are doing his job for him right now.

Is this the story?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/justice-minister-welcomes-child-abuse-report-873951.html
    The Justice Minister is welcoming Hotline.ie's Annual Report for 2017 which shows 524 leads it investigated constituted child sexual abuse under Irish law.
    It reveals the number of reports of illegal content online increased by 6 per cent from the previous year.

Charlie Flanagan said while it was disturbing to see evidence of such crimes, he welcomes the fact such images have been rendered inaccessible.

He says this ongoing contribution to the fight against the scourge of child sexual abuse imagery online is very important and much appreciated.

I think saying he welcomes child abuse is really a stretch.

• Advertisement

Its one very small step up from the sun.

Therefore I dont read it

I think you can judge the quality of a newspaper based on the quality of the crossword. The indo's is shyte.

Advertisement